Author Topic: Take-Two on Wii  (Read 13748 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Take-Two on Wii
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »
I don't care for the satire on Amerikan pop culture, at all, so that kicks me out of the "we love GTA" pool.

With that feature rendered "ineffective" to me, the pure gameplay mechanics take center stage -- and even they fall apart.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Wesisapie

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Take-Two on Wii
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 05:53:29 PM »
if you have any sense of humour, and are in touch with reality, gta is good. sadly, many nerds have lost touch.
Fin.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 05:59:32 PM »
I enjoyed GTA but I was turned off by how much the violence was glorified.  Perhaps that's why I preferred GTA3 over the two others this generation; in a sense it was more tame.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 09:05:28 PM »
I certainly hope in all of GTA:SA's biting satire of American culture from the Scottish Game Developer Rockstar North they hit upon the stereotyping of black videogame protagonists as inner-city gangbangers.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »

But GTA seems to be built the other way. First the world is created and then they drop in their color book cliche character. I believe they really need to create an original character next time.

You could probably say the same thing about Mario 64...
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ignorante

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
GTA4 coming exclusively to the Wii this fall. Rockstar to include Mario as playable character whoda  think!?1!?ileven putos11!1¡¿'''''???

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Wesisapie
if you have any sense of humour, and are in touch with reality, gta is good. sadly, many nerds have lost touch.

Or maybe those "nerds" feel that GTA emphasizes what is wrong with American gaming. The game is poorly put together when you dissect it, from poor controls (mainly aiming), tons of glitches, and rehashed gameplay. Yes the radio channels are funny, but that does not make a game, you need gameplay around it too. In my opinion I think games like GTA are destroying gaming for Americans, since the main reason people play them is because they are "Mature" and "Violent".  Anything that is not "cool", as in pseudo mature, is tossed to side, because of the ego of the average American gamer. Things were not always like this, and that is why I am not a big fan of the new, mainstream gamer, they grasp onto the "cool" factor rather than the substance.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 01:49:54 AM »
I only see the exploitation of stereotypes.  The game overall has the maturity level of an eight year old.  The only reason it is enjoyable is because you can do anything including steal a bicycle and do a drive by.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 02:36:18 AM »
Honestly I can't even remember any of the dialogue or story in GTA games, and I usually turn the music off. I guess the only pop culture references I see are the billboards, and those are hilarious "True Grime: Street Cleaners". GTA3 is still seen as the Mario 64 of this generation just because of it's gameplay, it's a new world.

It's the only major game Nintendo is lacking (besides a solid racer) so you could say it's essential if Nintendo want to be #1. Amazing how much power Take Two has in their hands, yet they're still fumbling around in the dark.

What i'd like to see on Wii is just a GTA that uses the new controller functions, I think it could adapt very nicely. I don't care about the graphics, they've never bothered me, as long as everything is in tact it'll be good. I would expect a decent framerate though. If they can put GTA on friggin PSP they can put one on Wii.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Ignorante
GTA4 coming exclusively to the Wii this fall. Rockstar to include Mario as playable character whoda  think!?1!?ileven putos11!1¡¿'''''???
not happening either of them, and I believe cursing is not allowed on the boards (not even in spanish )
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 08:52:29 AM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
I only see the exploitation of stereotypes.  The game overall has the maturity level of an eight year old.

I see the same.

I also find it ironic that there are people posting here attempting to insinuate that those who didn't enjoy GTA didn't enjoy it because they weren't sophisticated enough when the target audience for the game was teenagers with behavior problems.

I played the game for 15 minutes and I was done. Banged a hooker, got up on a rooftop and shot down helicopters with a rocket launcher, jacked some cars, etc. You want satire? Watch the Daily Show where the satire doesn't SUCK.

I assure you this, what satire there WAS in the game was lost on 90% of the audience who bought it. The game sold so well because it glorifies violence and allows the player to act out their most violent fantasies. Anyone who says otherwise is severely overestimating the average gamer.

I'm just glad the whole fad seems to be fading with Liberty City Stories which didn't sell nearly as well as previous iterations of the game (on PSP OR PS2).
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »
You guys are discussing the wrong aspects of the game in my opinion.

It wasn't fun because of the satire or the dialog. It was fun because you could do whatever you want, and if your slick enough, get away with it.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
Fair enough, but I just can't sit idly by and listen to people claim that GTA's veneer of relevance via satire is somehow the driving force behind the game's sales.

It's all about violent fantasies. Every time someone has described to me a session of GTA, it always goes something like, "And then I stole a _____, ran over a ______, killed a ______..., etc." I think it's safe to say that 50% of the buyers of the game probably don't even realize the games have a storyline.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »
Very true.

Once you got into the second part of the city (I only played GTA3) and obtained the codes, there was really no incentive to play the story mode (though some of the missions are badass). I almost always end up driving some really fast car till I blow it up, which attract the police, who attract my bullets, which led to more police and, soon enough, helicopters, which led to me grabbing for my rocket launcher. After about 10 minutes, I die.

Rinse and Repeat.  

(still fun)
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2006, 10:16:34 AM »
I guess my REAL question should be "Is it worth another GTA game?"

In the same vein of logic, I've only ever played ONE Pokemon game: Ruby. I decided one day to see what all the fuss was about and gave it a try. 120 hours later, I understand how addictive the game can be, but by no stretch do I feel the need to ever buy another Pokemon game: I feel as though I've been there and done it.

Sh*t, I just answered my own question: GTA will probably still sell just as well as it always did for the same reason new Pokemon games still sell x,000,000 copies no matter how tired the gameplay is.

The reason? People will buy the same game again and again with minor updates to graphics and features. If Pokemon and GTA don't demonstrate this enough, Madden should.

Sorry to have wasted your time, Req.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 01:01:43 PM »
My impression is people play the game for the freedom.  The only person I know who plays it often does so to blow off steam from dealing with real-life traffic (by smashing in to everything, of course).

I have yet to play GTA.  I don't like the violent aspect of it, but I suppose I should give it a try one day to see what the fuss is about.  I bet I would enjoy the basic concept, because I liked DMA's N64 games, and I like Simpsons Hit and Run too.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »
GTA is a good game, an innovative game, and an influencial game because of the open-ended gameplay.

GTA is a popular game because you can commit crimes without any real world repercussions.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
GTA is a good game, an innovative game, and an influencial game because of the open-ended gameplay.

GTA is a popular game because you can commit crimes without any real world repercussions.

I do not deny that GTA 3 was a unique game, but I am talking about where the series is as of now. It has become the Pokemon of console gaming, there is little in the way of improvement, and yet people still buy it. I'll admit I have fun with the GTA games to an extent, but to call them good or great, seems to be a slam against games that really deserve that honor. It is almost as if Rockstar is caught with Madden fevor, and really doesn't care about pushing the series forward. You know what? I really can't blame them, both gamers and reviewers alike give their games great reviews no matter what. To wrap things up, I think Smash's posts reveal my thoughts about the series as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 01:33:33 PM »
"I admit I have fun with the GTA games to an extent, but to call them good or great, seems to be a slam against games that really deserve that honor."

Just because a series becomes stagnant doesn't mean the first game isn't a classic.  That's what I'm giving credit to.  Pokemon has become stagnant but Pokemon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver are still classic games.  Just like Mega Man 1-3, GTA 3, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 01:56:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I assure you this, what satire there WAS in the game was lost on 90% of the audience who bought it. The game sold so well because it glorifies violence and allows the player to act out their most violent fantasies. Anyone who says otherwise is severely overestimating the average gamer.

This is sad because it's true. Conker's Bad Fur Day should've sold more copies.

Or maybe I'm just infatuated with anything British. Mmmm...Judi Dench....

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 06:20:21 PM »
Hey! Dr. Who is British.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »
Okay, not EVERYTHING British... I didn't really go ga-ga over Monty Python either...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:04 PM »

Okay, not EVERYTHING British... I didn't really go ga-ga over Monty Python either...

Liking Judi Dench and Conker's Bad Fur Day more than Doctor Who and Monty Python? This time you've gone too far!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 09:18:39 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

Liking Judi Dench and Conker's Bad Fur Day more than Doctor Who and Monty Python? This time you've gone too far!

Dare you afront Dame Judi Dench's honor? To arms! To arms! You shall rue the day you besmirched her ladyship, cad!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:50 PM »
Dames are all well and good, but the doctor is...the doctor. He has a time machine and everything. There's just no comparison.