Author Topic: What's the deal with Madden Wii?  (Read 2040 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
What's the deal with Madden Wii?
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »
I heard last night on a videogame Podcast that Madden Wii had faulty controls and was getting negative vibes from people at E3. Yet I just read PGC's best of E3 awards and they gave Madden Wii the honor of best sports games at E3, saying how great everything work...

So which is it, was the E3 demo of Madden Wii good or bad?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: What's the deal with Madden Wii?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
Alot of folks had mixed impressions on alot of games.  I think it's the controller and a players expectations and the fact that no one game appeals to all.  

Some folks picked up the controller and got the hang of it right away.  Others had a hard time and thus their brief 5-10 minute play experience wasn't good.  They tried to hike and it didn't work or they juked and they were like wtf?

As far as expectations go some folks are sorta anti-NIntendo and/or thought the controller would be some piece of alien technology.  Maybe they can't get past not having hi-def graphics and it effects their judgement.  

Also obviously not everyone is going to like the same game.  To put it into perspective even the most popular games on a system are only bought  by like 10-20% of the console base at most.    

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:44:58 AM »
A lot of gamers don't like to move much when they play, its too tiring for the fattys

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:What's the deal with Madden Wii?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »

Originally posted by: trip1eX
Alot of folks had mixed impressions on alot of games.  I think it's the controller and a players expectations and the fact that no one game appeals to all.  

Some folks picked up the controller and got the hang of it right away.  Others had a hard time and thus their brief 5-10 minute play experience wasn't good.  They tried to hike and it didn't work or they juked and they were like wtf?

As far as expectations go some folks are sorta anti-NIntendo and/or thought the controller would be some piece of alien technology.  Maybe they can't get past not having hi-def graphics and it effects their judgement.  

Also obviously not everyone is going to like the same game.  To put it into perspective even the most popular games on a system are only bought  by like 10-20% of the console base at most.

I think you pretty much described the impressions of a great deal of the Wii third party games at E3.

It seems some people had severe issues with Red Steel while other had the same issues but it didn't hamper their experience. Same with twilight Princess Wii. Some people enjoyed it while others were put off by it...

It kinda makes me think...Will the quality of a Wii game be affected by how the gamer plays the game? Like what if a gamer can't play the game well, does that mean that to him or her the game is really bad?

This is will make rating Wii games hard... :p

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »
You know what I think the problem is? Too many gamers are getting old and set in their ways. Any new control scheme is going to have a learning curve.

First time I played with the NES controller dpad, I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the joystick better"
First time I played a PC FPS with a mouse I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the keyboard better"
First time I played with an analog stick, I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the dpad better"

I'm sure the first time I play with a Wii remote, I am going to think "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the analog stick better"

But I'll learn to play with it if I like the games, and I'll move on.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:46:27 PM »
Madden 07 is a blast to play with the Wiimote.  Unless of course you're a Madden bowl crybaby like I see on ESPN.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
You know what I think the problem is? Too many gamers are getting old and set in their ways. Any new control scheme is going to have a learning curve.

First time I played with the NES controller dpad, I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the joystick better"
First time I played a PC FPS with a mouse I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the keyboard better"
First time I played with an analog stick, I thought "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the dpad better"

I'm sure the first time I play with a Wii remote, I am going to think "wow, this is too sensitive, I like the analog stick better"

But I'll learn to play with it if I like the games, and I'll move on.

agreed. people were spoiled by the SNES controller (which of course became the basis of Sony's controller, which is going on its third generation, and is also the basis of the MC controller which is going on its second generations)

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 07:27:29 AM »
I just hope it's better executed than those horrifying DS Versions. Touch screen football should be fun... but it's not.  

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 07:35:06 AM »
maybe they effed up on their field goal kicks/punts. I know that any twisting motion will slice the kick (awesome idea, truly skilled players will shine with that feature [i hope])

i havent played a football game since Madden64, and have had no interest in any of them until now. Fanboyish? nah, its the fact that there is actually something new about this game; that's what draws me in
I'll shut up now...