Author Topic: Super Paper Mario~!  (Read 39491 times)

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »
Meh, so it's gonna be released on Wii. *le sigh*
Oh well, I'll just have to buy it anyway!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Super Paper Mario~!
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »

Originally posted by: mantidor

This is the kind of attitude that just shocks me, we are COSTUMERS,  we can and should demand every single selfish need from the company we are giving money to and I don't see the problem in that.

If you want to do that, then do it with your dollars and don't buy SPM.  That's the best way.

Complaining on a forum for 6 months about it doesn't accomplish a damn thing.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
"There's no reason to support the GC anymore, and all of you who are whining about it haven't even touched yours in ages."

Of course I haven't touched mine in ages.  There are no new games to play!  There is no reason to support the Cube anymore merely because Nintendo abandoned it over a year ago.  This is just circular logic.  They can't release games for the Cube becauss no one is playing their Cube anymore and no one is playing their Cube anymore because they aren't releasing games for it.

"If you want to do that, then do it with your dollars and don't buy SPM. That's the best way.  Complaining on a forum for 6 months about it doesn't accomplish a damn thing."

That doesn't seem to work too well in practice.  Case in point I don't buy crappy third party games but third parties interpretted that as meaning that I don't want their games at all.  The truth is I want to buy this game.  I would prefer to get it on the Cube but, providing it was a high quality, I would still buy it on the Wii.  If I didn't buy it Nintendo would just interpret it as meaning I don't want the game at all.  Voting with your dollar isn't specific enough because sometimes you're displeased but not enough that you want nothing to do with the product at all or you are interested in the product but just not as it is.  Not that complaining on a forum accomplishes anything either but then NOTHING on this forum really accomplishes anything.  It's just discussion for leisure's sake.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2006, 11:37:52 AM »
I don't understand.  If the Wii is backwards compatible with the 'cube, then what's the advantage of moving SPM to the Wii instead of keeping it a GC game?  The Wii will play it either way.  Wouldn't it be better to keep the game compatible with the lowest common denominator?
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2006, 11:38:55 AM »
oh come on, no one is complaining 6 months straight about SPM and Zelda's complaining doesnt count, OK!? Im over that as well, don't worry . But one thing is for sure, if I see they tacked in some remote functionality a la Zelda instead of using it properly Im not going to buy the game and you'll get one more ranting post of me about it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I don't understand.  If the Wii is backwards compatible with the 'cube, then what's the advantage of moving SPM to the Wii instead of keeping it a GC game?  The Wii will play it either way.  Wouldn't it be better to keep the game compatible with the lowest common denominator?

The only thing I can think of is that what little shelf space still exists for GameCube games will disappear when the Wii arrives, so either nobody would stock it or nobody would display it prominently among the new games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2006, 11:52:34 AM »
How very strange... hmmm.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2006, 01:30:42 PM »
"The only thing I can think of is that what little shelf space still exists for GameCube games will disappear when the Wii arrives, so either nobody would stock it or nobody would display it prominently among the new games."

This seems like a problem period.  In theory the Wii should attract people who never owned a Gamecube to buy the Cube games they missed out on.  But since the Cube doesn't sell those games aren't going to get the shelf space.  So perhaps Nintendo should re-package their major Cube games to appear as Wii releases.  Like they change the cover so that instead of the Cube banner at the top its a Wii/Cube combo banner and it's promoted like a game for both consoles.  In reality it of course just a Cube game with different packaging but it would fit in among the Wii games on the shelf and not come across as an "old" game.  There aren't many games at launch anyway so there is shelf space to spare.  People would come in to buy a Wii and notice that there are some $20 games in the Wii section and that maybe they want to get one of those as well.  Maybe throw in demos with the Cube games too.  A Metroid Prime 3 demo included with Metroid Prime 1 or 2 seems logical as well as a Super Mario Galaxy one with Super Mario Sunshine.  Naturally the demos are on a seperate Wii disc.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »
Or they could just issue 'compatable with Wii' out to stores. And maybe, you know, give them a little something to show their appreciation for keeping cube games on the shelf.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2006, 02:19:52 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Originally posted by: Smoke39

The only thing I can think of is that what little shelf space still exists for GameCube games will disappear when the Wii arrives, so either nobody would stock it or nobody would display it prominently among the new games.
And also, it can help sell Wii systems, since you would need the console to play it.. Maybe it could use the Wii's extra power too.

"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »
I don't get what is all this fuss about this game moving to Wii, it's going to be released so at least those that still want this game will, actually, should be happy, it would have been a completely different and negative story if they had cancelled it.  

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
If you are displeased with the product, then don't buy it.

It is a very, very, very simple concept, and I'm astounded a lot of people here can't grasp it.

If something as tiny as this pisses you off this much, then don't f*cking buy it.

On the one hand, people around here chide Nintendo endlessly for the bad decisions made regarding the Gamecube, and full well acknowledge that it can't be saved as a viable platform.  That there's a huge tidal wave of hype going for the Wii right now that cannot be stopped.

But then they turn around and whine about this?

You can't have your god damn cake and eat it too.  This is the beginning of the push for the Wii, and frankly, moving a game over to it is going to do nothing but increase it's software library.  And since we all agree that is what sells a system, they damn well better work their butts off to get things out quickly and that utilize the game well.  And while I have NO idea how SPM benefits from being on the Wii, it benefits it much more from a business standpoint than it EVER could for the GC, which we again all aknowledge as being dead.

Again, all you peopl ebitching about this have said nothing in recently about how the GC can be saved, and instead have endlessly whined about how it's dead.

Then let it die.  Nintendo hasn't focused on the GC in any worthwhile sense for the last 6 months.  They've got bigger fish to fry.

I'll be getting SPM and enjoying the hell out of it when it comes out.  I won't be holding a light for my long lost GC lover and pretending I'm not a huge hypocrite about the whole situation.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »
Actually, you know what would be cool? If they did a dual release like TP.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2006, 04:00:30 PM »
NOT cool.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »
Sorta pointless with a smaller release like Paper Mario. Even on Wii this'll be more of a niche title.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »
Pfff.

It's Super Mario.  SUPER.  MARIO.  Plus Paper.

It might not seem all that big, but it'll sell.

Selling even a fraction of any Mario game is good.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2006, 04:28:19 PM »
Releasing Twilight on GameCube at all is stupid. Doing it with this would just be moronic.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2006, 04:30:40 PM »
What's wrong with cross-generational multiplatform releases? All the other big publishers do it.

'cross-generational multiplatform releases' is my new favorite phrase.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2006, 05:16:24 PM »
I think Super Paper Mario will sell better than you think, Kairon, considering the game is pretty much a platformer (with RPG elements)...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with Bill and Jon; Mario 64 DS sold like crazy during the launch of the DS, and it was just a port. This is a 2D Mario platformer, and people will lap it up. Especially Japan, who seem to prefer Mario in that dimension..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2006, 04:53:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
Releasing Twilight on Wii at all is stupid. Doing it with this would just be moronic.

Well said

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »
You know, Mario, it's not nice to alter quotes, he did post gamecube and not Wii.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
I'm in the middle of finally playing 1,000 Year Door and I have to say my hopes for this game just went up 1,000 fold.

But I'm one of those crazy people who perfer Mario in 2D anyway...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kenology

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2006, 06:23:48 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Yeah, I have to agree with Bill and Jon; Mario 64 DS sold like crazy during the launch of the DS, and it was just a port. This is a 2D Mario platformer, and people will lap it up. Especially Japan, who seem to prefer Mario in that dimension..

True words spoken...

Don't for get you guys that Super Mario Bros. was rereleased on Gameboy (can't remember if it was GBC or GBA) and it wen't on to sell another 1 million units.  That's just incredible...

Personally, I think releasing SPM on Wii is a much better idea.  It'll certainly sell some more units, which is definitely a good enough reason to release it on Wii instead.

Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »

Originally posted by: KenologyDon't for get you guys that Super Mario Bros. was rereleased on Gameboy (can't remember if it was GBC or GBA) and it wen't on to sell another 1 million units.  That's just incredible...

That was Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for GBC. Actually, the reason I bought a GameBoy Color in the first place was seeing one of my classmates playing that game (I was in 4th grade at the time).

Thanks for listening.