Author Topic: Japan hates Wii.  (Read 7904 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Japan hates Wii.
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
"You know, now that you mention it, I think in Fire Pro Wrestling S (and probably D too), Stan Hansen yelled 'Wii!' when he did his jumping lariat.

Maybe when he was in Japan there was some cultural reason Hooo! wouldn't fly so they had him change it to Wii?"

Never heard of that.  Virtually every Stan Hansen match I've ever seen has been from Japan and he was yelling "HOOO!" in every one of them.

I'm thinking that maybe Japanese people can't properly imitate the "HOOO!" sound so when a wrestling fan impersonates Hansen they shout "WEEE!" and no one can tell the difference.  Thus "WEEE!" is used in Fire Pro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Japan hates Wii.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
I haven't actually read the whole thread yet but I've wanted to punch Perrin Kaplen ever sense I've first heard her give information.  She's annoying.  Also I thought the golden goal was to leave people satisfied after hearing things from marketing.  You should go in empty and leave filling full even if you got no information what so in.  I can go in full and then read something that has anything to do with her and feel empty and unsatisfied.  Bad marketing person bad.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE:Japan hates Wii.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
Kotaku also had something to say about the Japanese: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/wii-what-the-japanese-think-170421.php

Yeah I'm quoting myself bitches, sod off. What kotaku said was that in Japan the word "cute" was used alot more than "piss", therefore I don't get the title!

Offline Wesisapie

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 07:09:15 PM »
I guess they said its like cute its because Wii looks somewhat like part of Kawaii (the japanese' favourite word). Someone mentioned they dont have a sound for "we" in their language which is true, they tend to say it more like OO-EE rather than WEE.  about the R and L stuff, they just tend to say both sounds more like R, but its a tiny bit like an L too. for example i have trouble when people are talking about "rocks" but they mean "locks".

what do the japanese think about it? i think most of them are oblivious.
Fin.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 09:55:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I haven't actually read the whole thread yet but I've wanted to punch Perrin Kaplen ever sense I've first heard her give information.  She's annoying.  Also I thought the golden goal was to leave people satisfied after hearing things from marketing.  You should go in empty and leave filling full even if you got no information what so in.  I can go in full and then read something that has anything to do with her and feel empty and unsatisfied.  Bad marketing person bad.

Yeah, it's lucky Reggie makes up for her.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64