Author Topic: Revolution Name Announced!  (Read 87158 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
The hyperactive internet culture that derives and feeds off of innuendo is the only ones making fun of this. And the internet has been known to fabricate innuendo where there was none before.  And since that is the case, it appears that no name Nintendo could have come up with would be able to avoid massive ridicule.

Yes, exactly like what happend to the DS name... oh wait.

Personally, I don't care that it means to take a piss in some cultures, I just don't like the name in general and can't picture saying it in casual conversation very easily. Much like I would hate it if it was called Wiiv or something similar to that name.

However, the name is only, ONLY, meant to sizzle a product. People can cry tell their face turns blue that not everyone thinks of taking a piss or that it's not a horrible name in general, but it's clear that enough do that it has become such the issue that it has. People are also kind of looking at this like Nintendo was backed into a corner about this. Like they opened up their check book and figured they could only afford: "Three letters... and two of them have to be the same, now what can we use?"

This is not like HD support or the hardware specs where there was logic and revenue choices behind them, this is only a marketing tool that should make the product more appealing to as many potentional customers as possible. Not see Nintendo supporters turn against each other in some "New Coke" style fashion while the media outlets ridicule the idea on their sites and even during interviews to PR reps' faces.  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Starxxon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Revolution Name Announced!
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »
Ok let's forget for a moment about the people that don't like the name, it's obvious that most of the time their arguments end up looking childish. They are running in circles with variations the same jokes. If you don't have anything else new to add, well... don't

For those who don't hate the name, here are some wishful speculation of mine about the name. It makes you think about WWII? But there are two "W"s instead of one...

Remove War from "World War II" and you get: World II, or Wii in abbreviated form.

World II would be a great alternate name for Nintendo's Wii.

Virtual Reality, in the broader sense of emerging interactive 3D technologies, can be described as a "second world" into which we can build and do things that are beyond our physical reality. Think about "Second Life", the online multi-player virtual world, which is also using the same concept in its title.

I guess you could also remove "World" from WWII to get Wii, but "War II" would be more suited for the competing consoles, which are pushing hard for their best-selling war simulator games. So I guess it could be either World II or War II? I like World II better...

"They chose to create new wars, Wii chose to create new worlds." Could be one of the slogan for Wii

-----------------------------------

EasyCure, great post and thanks for quoting me You should separate your post into paragraphs though, but don't worry about it, I made the same mistake (a long time ago) when I first started to post on forums.  

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2006, 05:48:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
Also, I'm not from the UK, but from what I gather it's used in a similar way as Deg described.  A la the Scottish "wee lad" variety of the word.

Spending last night with an adult Englishman/woman I can say it is used as you described but it's main usage is for example, 'The dog is wee-ing all over the carpet!' - or - 'I need to wee.'

Not that it really matters. 13 year olds will laugh everytime they say it, but hey, laughter does make the world go round.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2006, 06:58:05 PM »
"Yes, exactly like what happend to the DS name... oh wait."

Exactly what happened.  You may not remember the heady days of 2004 but a great deal of people likened the "DS" title to Down's Syndrome (Hurk Hurk)  Nobody remembers that because most of the hatred was directed towards the unfathomable idea of using a touchscreen as a control method, the failure of such a method to create any new game type, and the inevitable failure of the DS against the PSP, especially in Japan, where they expected the PSP to just absolutely dominate.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »
Here in Philly "Wee" doesn't mean take a leak, or at least not in my hood.

What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. - that old guy.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
I associate Wii with the words "twee" or "weak" and not so much "wee wee" or "wiener."

Given that, I still hate the name.  I hate the way it looks and sounds.  I hate the logo, it looks like an apple rip-off.  Yeah, how unique is that?

This is all just a load of BS.  There's nothing unique about Wii except that it isn't a word.  It's a ridiculous misspelling of a pronoun and will invoke nothing but apathy among the non-gamers and casual gamers alike.  And when it does provoke a response, in my experience, it's generally one of derision.

I don't put stock in conspiracy theories, but one can hope that the joke is on us.  
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2006, 08:12:31 PM »
Sorry Bloodworth and anyone else who read my ranting. I've never posted anything that long and I was just kind of in the zone, know what I mean? I'll try to be more thoughtful next time.
Also i'll try to stop posting when I should be sleeping so I can go to work the next day, that way I can get all my thoughts into one post.
Guys, I really don't like the name, I just dislike the urinating jokes more. If its your thing, go with it. It was my assumption that this was a community of Nintendo fans and fanboys. Instead of letting such a dumb name divide us, how about we try to keep the general public, the people that don't frequent the internet and have no idea what Wii is yet, from getting to that level of thinking. As dumb as you and I think the name is, would you really want everyone else to start writing it off as some pee joke and never give the system a chance?

We all want our "revolution" to be a success don't we? (ok maybe not Ian because he can't wrap his head around what new gameplay ideas and doesnt see how motion sensing controls could better existing types of gameplay, but I'm just poking fun) So let us be a community and help Nintendo with their "uphill battle."

PS. That is probably the most Hippy thing I have ever said in my whole life.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Pryopizm
I associate Wii with the words "twee" or "weak" and not so much "wee wee" or "wiener."

Given that, I still hate the name.  I hate the way it looks and sounds.  I hate the logo, it looks like an apple rip-off.  Yeah, how unique is that?

This is all just a load of BS.  There's nothing unique about Wii except that it isn't a word.  It's a ridiculous misspelling of a pronoun and will invoke nothing but apathy among the non-gamers and casual gamers alike.  And when it does provoke a response, in my experience, it's generally one of derision.

I don't put stock in conspiracy theories, but one can hope that the joke is on us.

When compared to Xbox or PS3, it is indeed unique. Perhaps you should read a post a couple pages back that stated the logic of the spelling from a Japanese context, in addition to the fact that "Wii" will not have the same meaning behind it in different cultures (except of course the two "ii" symbolizing togetherness). The name was derived to have universal appeal, meaning and use, that indeed is unique for a gaming console. On your point of "derision", the name was announced 2 days ago, and like the controller it will take time to get used to it and its marketing potential visually. Wait until this revelation can simmer a bit in people's minds and come back in 4 months or so.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2006, 08:27:57 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure
Sorry Bloodworth and anyone else who read my ranting. I've never posted anything that long and I was just kind of in the zone, know what I mean? I'll try to be more thoughtful next time.
Also i'll try to stop posting when I should be sleeping so I can go to work the next day, that way I can get all my thoughts into one post.
Guys, I really don't like the name, I just dislike the urinating jokes more. If its your thing, go with it. It was my assumption that this was a community of Nintendo fans and fanboys. Instead of letting such a dumb name divide us, how about we try to keep the general public, the people that don't frequent the internet and have no idea what Wii is yet, from getting to that level of thinking. As dumb as you and I think the name is, would you really want everyone else to start writing it off as some pee joke and never give the system a chance?

We all want our "revolution" to be a success don't we? (ok maybe not Ian because he can't wrap his head around what new gameplay ideas and doesnt see how motion sensing controls could better existing types of gameplay, but I'm just poking fun) So let us be a community and help Nintendo with their "uphill battle."

PS. That is probably the most Hippy thing I have ever said in my whole life.

Hey that isn't too hippy, personally even though I disagree with you on the name (it has grown on me) you have been one of the few rational individuals to comment on it.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
Thanks. I got over the initial shock/hatred of the name the very next day, I am used to it, I just don't like it.
Though I don't like it, I would be the first one to come up with something unique, quirky, and catchy to make the name better. That's what I wish more people would do then simply dismiss it.

If you read a post in the EA/Madden thread, this one poster had an awesome idea for a comercial spot. I wish I could remember who it was but it was a great idea. I added my two cents to it though, because I felt that as good as the commercial would be to ge the name out there, it would be promoting the sound of the name and not the visual as well. The visual rocks (if you saw the trailer) but its the sound of the name that bugs me. It is awkward to say, like most people have stated already, that's what I don't like. I just can't see myself asking to preorder a Wii. In time I will be more accustomed to saying it outloud, but for now I will stick to repeating it in my head.
Nintendo needs to push the visual as well as the sound of the name for it to work the way they want to. Really emphasize on the community aspect of it as well as the 'wiimotes' that set the console apart. The name really isn't that bad, it just needs work. If they can market it the right way, I will grow to like it more, but until then it's a bad name to say aloud IMO.  
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »
I agree Easy, Nintendo has alot of work cut out for it to make it sound good, it is foreign to alot of us here in the states and probaly in the UK. E3 should be a good place to see how Nintendo attacks the "sound" of the name. I personally think it would be pretty cool if it was also an acronym which was stated previously, not sure where, but they suggested "Wireless, interactive, innovative". On a side note, I do apologize if I come off a little ticked at some of the people, but I do get frustrated when it is pretty obvious some are not keeping any open mind to the potential of it, instead of obsessing over the negative connotation of the sound "we", and instead see things from a more universal appeal along with marketing potential.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2006, 09:15:33 PM »
"I hate the logo, it looks like an apple rip-off. Yeah, how unique is that?"

Yeah, because the marketing needs to be overflowing with original brilliance.  Apple's making tons of money.  Marketing isn't about being 100% original, it's about being original where it matters and taking good ideas where they can be used.
Associating Wii with iPod is a good thing, because everyone likes the iPod.
Also, the logo is great.  Simplistic, but aesthetically excellent.  From a design perspective, it's very well made. (Gamecube logo still wins though )
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2006, 09:27:45 PM »

From a design perspective, it's very well made. (Gamecube logo still wins though )

GC logo was quite cool, though I have to admit the full name wasn't the best. I personally think Wii beats the crap out of GC's name, mainly because it is unique for a console name and doesn't look like a kid's toy.

Offline Starxxon

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »
Just a little visual note for the few Nintendo fans that hate Apple:

Do I really have to explain?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2006, 10:37:25 PM »
I don't like Nintendo comparing themselves so much with Apple. Not because I don't like Apple, but Nintendo isn't the same as them! Nintendo is their own company with their own ideals, their own vision and their own product. They shouldn't go out of their way to be like Apple.

Also, affiliating yourself with other companies always leaves the chance that you will alienate some of your potential userbase. I am just not a supporter of it..

And I thoroughly dislike that white colour.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »
But Apple has had some immense success recently, and they've both had similar ideals for about the same time now.
Companies always partner up and cooperate or compare themselves to one another.  It's something that's done in business, a matter of perspective.

"And I thoroughly dislike that white colour."

Good thing they'll have black and green and red and whatever else,  as well.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 29, 2006, 10:55:11 PM »
Let him use one. PC games are completely overpriced and uncommon in Japan.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2006, 12:14:49 AM »
I don't think it is because Nintendo is trying to be just like apple, but they are trying to use a similar strategy to them. Apple has sucessfully made a big impact away from the PC vs Mac battlegrounds while maintaining much of what they are good at, like Nintendo says they wish to do the same with the next generation of consoles.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2006, 09:18:30 AM »
BTW, maybe I should mention that I had no initial negative reaction towards Wii except that it really doesn't sound like "videogame system" or "electronics".

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 30, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
I agree Easy, Nintendo has alot of work cut out for it to make it sound good, it is foreign to alot of us here in the states and probaly in the UK. E3 should be a good place to see how Nintendo attacks the "sound" of the name. I personally think it would be pretty cool if it was also an acronym which was stated previously, not sure where, but they suggested "Wireless, interactive, innovative". On a side note, I do apologize if I come off a little ticked at some of the people, but I do get frustrated when it is pretty obvious some are not keeping any open mind to the potential of it, instead of obsessing over the negative connotation of the sound "we", and instead see things from a more universal appeal along with marketing potential.

aww its ok there guy, you just need a hug. now THATS a hippy thing to say;-)

by the way, all this speak of nintendo comparing themselves to apple.....I FIGURED OUT THE LAST BIG SECRET OF Wii!!!

The Wii will become an iPod docking station via usb, from which you can d/l songs from iTunes on Wii Wi-Fi connection, and play them on your house speakers. Also you'll be able to d/l iPod original games on the next line of iPod that plays games using a scroll wheel, its GENIOUS!!! they alreayd made iPod with video, why not handle a simple game? when it happens, remember who called it!!!

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 30, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »
OMG you guys are like soooooo immature. Can't you, like, grow up and stop making pee jokes? I'm going home.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 30, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
...strange... I'm of the opinion that a sign of maturity would be making pee jokes, and not seeing that as an inherently good or bad thing, just as a joke that, like all jokes, needs to be used in the right contexts so it doesn't grow old.

I LURV Conker's Bad Fur Day. I absolutely love it. I was contemplating buying an XBox just if Rare made a sequel (which, obviously, didn't happen on either count). Does my appreciation of Conker's urine jokes, gore, and etc. mark me as immature? Does that game's toilet humor automatically mark it as inferior? Or do pee jokes have their proper place on the mature-conversation-topics pyramid, that tiny tiny "use sparingly" section up top along with the blonde and yo-mama jokes?

I say they do, and trumpet the clarion call of "moderation in all things!" Huzzah!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2006, 07:59:25 PM »

I LURV Conker's Bad Fur Day. I absolutely love it. I was contemplating buying an XBox just if Rare made a sequel (which, obviously, didn't happen on either count). Does my appreciation of Conker's urine jokes, gore, and etc. mark me as immature?

yes.

Or do pee jokes have their proper place on the mature-conversation-topics pyramid, that tiny tiny "use sparingly" section up top along with the blonde and yo-mama jokes?

That isn't the top of the mature conversation topics pyramid. That's the 'immature' section of some something somethingsomething *yawn* You know what I'm trying to say.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2006, 08:25:28 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Let him use one. PC games are completely overpriced and uncommon in Japan.
I didn't mean it that way. I meant that there is a chance that the company that you associate yourselves with has some detractors. There are some people that are against the values of, in this case, Apple, and what it stands for. When Nintendo associates themselves with Apple, then those people would think twice about Nintendo. They are potential Nintendo users, but with this association, they could be alienated. Same thing with Pepsi..

Also, I don't believe that Nintendo is similar enough to Apple to be trying to emulate them so. I want Nintendo to have their own identity, and this is not the way to do it.

Yeah..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »

Originally posted by: EasyCure

Originally posted by: VGrevolution

aww its ok there guy, you just need a hug. now THATS a hippy thing to say;-)

by the way, all this speak of nintendo comparing themselves to apple.....I FIGURED OUT THE LAST BIG SECRET OF Wii!!!

The Wii will become an iPod docking station via usb, from which you can d/l songs from iTunes on Wii Wi-Fi connection, and play them on your house speakers. Also you'll be able to d/l iPod original games on the next line of iPod that plays games using a scroll wheel, its GENIOUS!!! they alreayd made iPod with video, why not handle a simple game? when it happens, remember who called it!!!

Hey hugs are always nice :-P. You know you may be onto something, that would be pretty funny!