Author Topic: FIRST REV SCREENSHOT SCANS!!!!!  (Read 128032 times)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Red Steel Topic, new details added!
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
The biggest lawsuit in gaming history, maybe?  I'm not sure, they might be able to get around it but Nintendo will fight them tooth and nail.
That, and Nintendo will  probably have done it better, earlier anyway.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
RE:Red Steel Topic, new details added!
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2006, 03:36:57 PM »

That, and Nintendo will probably have done it better, earlier anyway.
Analogue stick
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2006, 03:53:55 PM »
I think Nintendo has learned their lesson.
Also, there was a lawsuit having something to do with dual shock recently, Sony lost a good deal of money, if I'm not mistaken.
Nintendo will not let the Revolution be copied so easily, though.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »
there has been a lawsuit having something to do with dual shock since there has been a dual shock.  That lawsuit has been going on for years, and Sony just keeps apealing it, draging it on and on and on.

besides, Perrin stated b4 they revealed the controller that they were busy aquiring all the necessary patents on their controller b4 they were going to reveal it publically.

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2006, 04:35:33 PM »
The other major advantage is that MS and Sony might end up stepping on each others toes trying to copy Nintendo's idea. In previous generations when Nintendo had only ONE major competitor, they could simply take Nintendo's idea and alter it just enough to get away with it.
But with two potential copy-cats things could get VERY interesting if they both take similar routes around Nintendo's patent. One could beat the other to the punch leaving them to have to start from scratch. It could even lead to a court battle. Nintendo being the only one that can't be touched as it came up with the idea first.  

Offline zakkiel

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2006, 05:13:57 PM »

Point the controller at something onscreen and it doesn't turn, but re-centers the camera on your target after a slight delay.
The porblem is that you'll still wind up with situations where the controller is off-center. The extreme example is where you jsut keep nudging to the right until your character has turned around completely and you're holding the controller backwards to shoot at the center of the screen. Obviously this wouldn't happen often, but on a smaller scale I imagine it would happen all the time, and be quite annoying.
Defenestration - the only humane method of execution.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold Analogue stick

The analogue stick wasn't nearly as big of a jump as this, though.

Going from having a level of sensitivity in 8 directions to controlling a point in 3D space is a HUGE leap, far greater than going from d-pad to analogue.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2006, 06:31:26 PM »
Sorry but 8 pages are too many for me to read.
I read the first page, but you'll have to excuse me if someone already said what I am going to say.

What impresses me most about this game just from the original topic starter is the attention to detail about everything. If every developer takes the same level of commitment to making Rev games as Ubisoft (the scary thing is you can bet Nintendo is doing/has done even more with their games) the Rev is the Ultimate gaming system. Nothing before the Rev can compare and everything after it will be a replication.

I cannot wait for this system anymore. Hopefully the increased effort my job is asking of me, will tire me out to the point that now until e3 then e3 till launch passes by like the first 2 years of my life (no memory of it). Can you even begin to imagine other genres with this and greater amounts of depth and (i can't think of the word i want to use here scrutinizing and hardcore come to mind but not what i really want to say) development?

Long live Nintendo King of Videogames. (and my wallet)
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2006, 06:57:29 PM »
We've kinda touched upon what you said, but more along the lines of being impressed that Ubi, a company which normally sticks right with whatever is selling, appears to be striking out and doing something new and different with the Rev controller.

It gives credence to Nintendo's theory that developers want to try new things, because Ubi apparently leapt on the opportunity.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2006, 07:01:39 PM »
ONe the biggest pieces of news is just the fact Ubi is doing an exclusive brand new 3rd party IP for the REv.  Even the 360 didn't have one of those.

I hope they are able to work all the controller gameplay mechanices that they talked about.  REalize some stuff could get cut.  Tis the nature of game development.

I hope too that the game runs smooth like Metroid Prime smooth.  That makes games so much more enjoyable.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
Yeah, the 360's only new franchise I can think of is Kameo, and we all know how well THAT sold... (I don't have exact numbers, but I've heard CoD outsold it AND PD0)

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Yeah, the 360's only new franchise I can think of is Kameo, and we all know how well THAT sold... (I don't have exact numbers, but I've heard CoD outsold it AND PD0)

It's pretty funny that their "new" franchise began life as an N64 game.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2006, 10:16:28 PM »
I don't recall Kameo being an N64 project, only GameCube.  It was original to me when I found out about it at the 2001 E3 press conference.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2006, 10:20:31 PM »
Wikipedia lists it under the category "Cancelled Nintendo 64 games"

EGM lists development as beginning on the N64 as well.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »
Yeah, it was an N64 project to begin with, I think I remember reading about it in NP...

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2006, 10:42:22 PM »
Co-sizzle.

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2006, 06:09:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
We've kinda touched upon what you said, but more along the lines of being impressed that Ubi, a company which normally sticks right with whatever is selling, appears to be striking out and doing something new and different with the Rev controller.

It gives credence to Nintendo's theory that developers want to try new things, because Ubi apparently leapt on the opportunity.
UBI's actually been pretty good about strikiing out in new directions. They created Splinter Cell, PoP, and BG&E this gen alone. They've (supposedly) dumped some thatweren't selling well, but they seem willing to take risks a lot of the time, just to try things. They're one of the better publishers out there in my opinion. To tell the truth though, a lot of dev's have stepped out this gen and done interesting things. Capcom (Killer 7) and Sega (Monkey Ball) come to mind real quick for me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2006, 06:39:53 AM »

Originally posted by: zakkiel

Point the controller at something onscreen and it doesn't turn, but re-centers the camera on your target after a slight delay.
The porblem is that you'll still wind up with situations where the controller is off-center. The extreme example is where you jsut keep nudging to the right until your character has turned around completely and you're holding the controller backwards to shoot at the center of the screen. Obviously this wouldn't happen often, but on a smaller scale I imagine it would happen all the time, and be quite annoying.
I don't see where you're getting that idea.  When you point off screen, your view will rotate towards that direction until you point back at the screen.  You don't have to keep turning the remote to turn around in game, nor is your character actually facing the same direction as the remote.  It's being used as a pointing device.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2006, 07:08:10 AM »

I hope too that the game runs smooth like Metroid Prime smooth.  That makes games so much more enjoyable.

That would really be great, but I do doubt it, if I recall MP runs at 60fps. Even PD0 for Xbox 360 does not run at 60fps but at 30fps (it is noticeable too), and it isn't even what you would call a graphical powerhouse. I'm with yah though that I find games with slightly less detail, but a faster framerate to be much more enjoyable.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2006, 08:10:21 AM »
This game is sounding really cool.  Smash Brother mentioned a whole bunch of bullet pointed details and the game just sounds amazing.  WAY better than anything I would usually expect from Ubisoft.

There are a few things that kind of bug me.
"-Tracing an X in the air, for instance, will unleash a devastating attack
-You signal 'yes/no' answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side"

Those two features sound very much like assigning gestures for actions.  Is there really any need for this sort of stuff?  It just looks like using the remote just because it's there.  It's not emersive to trace an X or nod with the controller.  That's the sort of stuff I don't want to see that much because it's just g!mmicky and lame.  But this game clearly makes up for it with the aiming which makes perfect sense.  I figure some remote usage will be like analog stick gas pedals in that initially everything will use the remote and then over time they'll balance things out as it becomes clear that in some cases a different method would work better.

Regarding the blue ocean strategy and how this is clearly a "gamer's game" this doesn't suprise me.  The whole "non-gamers" stuff is clearly Japanese.  It's based on the Japanese market and on the DS it has worked very well in Japan and hasn't really done anything in North America.  So it's almost expected for a western dev like Ubisoft to make something more traditional.  I expect Retro and NST to do the same.  What I've always been more concerned about is what Nintendo's Japanese devs are going to make.  EAD is pretty much the number one reason to own a Nintendo console so I want to know what their focus is.  I don't want Zelda or Mario changed around so that Japanese grandmas can play it.  That's the concern.  If Miyamoto isn't making "traditional games" then who cares who is?  That's everything right there.  Everything else is minor in comparison.  So I need to see some traditional games from Nintendo made by their Japanese teams to really feel that Nintendo is still commited to longtime gamers.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »
personally I'm fine with not getting an uber framerate just so long as they can sustain it. I hated that about the original perfect dark. Try playing a 5 on 1 fight again 5 Elvis Sims and watch the framerate get so low you can count it audibly during the heavy action scenes.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
The "yes/no" think does seem a little lame. If you're in the process of fighting with the sword the X motion with the sword for your super attack might actually be more intuitive than, for instance, pulling the revmote back and pulling off a hadoken on the D-pad and buttons.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2006, 08:19:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Those two features sound very much like assigning gestures for actions.  Is there really any need for this sort of stuff?  It just looks like using the remote just because it's there.  It's not emersive to trace an X or nod with the controller.  That's the sort of stuff I don't want to see that much because it's just g!mmicky and lame.

Words cannot describe how frustrating your comments are. How ignorant, how pathetic, how childish.

When a game is built around a certain type of control, in this case realistic motion, then smaller things can be done two ways. You could do it with a button, or a gesture. The reason you go with gestures is because it creates a continuous scheme. Motion becomes the central control scheme instead of buttons, and it keeps it more streamlined. Isn't that blatantly obvious?

And as for the X, YES it's more immersive. Pressing 'A' or some combo isn't HALF as immersive as swining the sword. It's not like Brain Training where you're carefully tracing the shape. It would be a quick swing back and forth like in sword movies when they do the same thing.

Part of me wonders whether you actually feel what you say, or you just want to cause trouble.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2006, 08:25:02 AM »
The "X" definitely seems to me more immersive. It's a powerful physical action reserved specifically for special attacks, the magnitude of slashing an X in the air matches the magnitude of your in-game action. Not to mention when you do it you imagine yourself looking cool, lol.

The nodding though... I'll need to see how that works out, lol.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
"And as for the X, YES it's more immersive. Pressing 'A' or some combo isn't HALF as immersive as swining the sword."

A sword is more immersive if the sword action reflects how you swing.  It's not immersive if you're doing a "dial a combo" by tracing shapes.  In this case I'm not exactly suggesting a button push since that wouldn't really fit if every other time you use the sword is with motion control.  I just don't like the idea of tracing shapes to indicate moves.

It really depends how it's done I guess.  If the special attack goes along with your moves then it's cool.  If there's a delay where I trace the shape and then the guy in the game just automatically does the move then it's kind of lame.