Author Topic: Nintendo Wi-Fi Recieves Two New Titles  (Read 17957 times)

Offline Shin Gallon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Wi-Fi Recieves Two New Titles
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 04:54:11 PM »
Am I the only one that would much rather have had an awesome new 2-D side scrolling Metroid game ala Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow instead of Hunters? Think about how good a Metroid side-scroller on the DS could be and then tell me that wouldn't be way boss.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Wi-Fi Recieves Two New Titles
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
F-Zero GX should not have been released next to Soul Calibur 2.
And that's the truth...

CARE BEARS REFERENCE WOOT!

EDIT: ShinGallon, I think they're working on a new 2D Metroid (Dread); there were all sorts of rumours, but it's not yet confirmed.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Shin Gallon
Am I the only one that would much rather have had an awesome new 2-D side scrolling Metroid game ala Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow instead of Hunters? Think about how good a Metroid side-scroller on the DS could be and then tell me that wouldn't be way boss.

Maybe we'll get both... Hunters is another great addition to the fledgling online library though, and 2D Metroid probably wouldn't make a great online game.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 05:11:43 PM »
well I wasnt too fond of Metroid Prime so Ill probabaly wait to get hunters, but tetris I have been dying to get, I can't wait to play online against someone and see how good I am compared to them. I alredy beat every version of Tetris I played, GB, NES, SNES, ps1, and Worlds, so I am looking forward to trying a new version and beating it. and I was so close to getting Tetris worlds for GBA to hold me over but now I wont have too.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
You all owe Ian an apology, lol.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

There's no shame in being pedantic : )  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Of all the reasons givien for not buying a game you have to admit "already own it" is the best one.
I thought "because it's made by Sonic Team" was the best one?

Nope, there's no better reason than "But it says EA on the box!".

I was going to write Acclaim but then an EA banner appeared on the top of the page.

Kairon: You mean "port" can mean "port" or "not port", kinda like how "literally" now can mean "figuratively" as well?

Shin:
Am I the only one that would much rather have had an awesome new 2-D side scrolling Metroid game ala Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow instead of Hunters?

You mean like Zero Mission? While I think I'd prefer that over Prime 3 Arena (slightly) I'd say diversification should have priority over straight sequels. Now a definite case where I'd rather see a 2d game than a 3d one is Zelda TP. 3D Zelda is average at best, 2d Zelda is vastly superior.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 03:35:57 AM »
Zero Mission is my all-time favorite Metroid game at this point, so seeing another 2-D game on DS would be awesome. Of course, I'd also love a ZM-esque remake of Metroid 2 and a GBA port of Super Metroid, but maybe that's just me...

Also, Sonic Team has only fallen from grace recently. Go back about 5 years and everything they made was like pure spun gold. And with how good Sonic Rush is, and how not crappy Riders is (aside from the awful English voices), they seem to be making a return to glory.
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:44 AM »
I didn't like ZM as much as SM, things like that idiotic stealth section and the point where you get the powerbomb (seriously, did anyone get that thing before beating the game at least once?) really drag it down.  

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 05:07:28 AM »

Originally posted by: stevey
Tetris DS isn't a port, it more like Tetris 2.
Sony exec: More like Tetris 1.5

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »
"Am I the only one that would much rather have had an awesome new 2-D side scrolling Metroid game ala Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow instead of Hunters?"

No you're not.  I'm not particularly interested in Hunters as it seems to me like Nintendo is making that Metroid Prime FPS that all the jerks who didn't like Metroid Prime because it didn't play like Halo wanted.  I would also prefer in general that Nintendo not use their franchises so often in otherwise unrelated games.  So I have a similar opinion about Metroid Pinball.  Too many spinoffs overexpose a franchise.  I would rather Metroid stick entirely to the 3D Prime games by Retro and the 2D games by Intelligent Systems.  I look at Mario and Pokemon and how after so many sequels and spinoffs I just don't care when a new game in those franchises is annouced anymore.  I don't want that kind of overexposure for Metroid or Zelda or any other Nintendo franchise I'm a big fan of.  Plus I just find that games are better when every title means something.  Once something gets treated more like a product brand to milk the quality noticeably starts to drop.

I'm hopeful that we'll still get new 2D Metroid games and this isn't a replacement.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 07:16:59 AM »

And with how good Sonic Rush is
And yet another one falls into the trap..

Short story shorter, Rush is made by Dimps, and "created by Sonic Team" is a bald-faced lie..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »
MPH is to secure the DS's iron grip in the US by being a Metroid-based PC FPS.

MPH is the Halo of the DS, except with a vastly better control scheme and you don't need TVs to have LAN parties.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 07:25:17 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Kairon: You mean "port" can mean "port" or "not port", kinda like how "literally" now can mean "figuratively" as well?

No, I mean "port" can mean "original code reworked to run on another system" or it can be generally understood as "a non-ancient game that is reproduced on another system which has been translated relatively faithful to the original copy, with few, if any, additions or modifications."

For example, was RE:2 on the N64 a port? There's no possible way they kept a lot of original code, the hardware differences between the PSX and N64 are so stark, from graphics hardware to processor to data medium to feed rate.... yeah. Of course, a general gamer doesn't care about this, he knows what is meant when RE:2 for N64 is called a port.

Sorta like how we call centipedes or ants bugs. Bugs are technically a very specific subset of insects, according to Dictionary.com a "true bug" has a "beaklike structure that allows piercing and sucking." Neither centipedes or ants HAVE this structure, they are not literally bugs, but we can call them bugs anyways, because seriously, you know what we mean.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »
Re: Metroids...

I'll confess, I was never a Metroid Fan to begin with. Gumpei Yokoi is no Shigeru Miyamoto in my book.

That's why I'm not exactly eager to see another 2D metroid. I wouldn't be interested in the least. I most probably wouldn't buy it.

Metroid Hunters, on the other hand, takes the Metroid Universe and expands the lore, it finally has characters who are Samus' peers, and it has an open-ended non-linear adventure campaign. Plus it uses that sweet DS touch screen. So whereas I didn't give Zero-Mission a second glance, I am definitely buying this Hunters game within 2 weeks of its release.

*shrug* Just wanted to voice a dissenting opinion.

Oh, and another exciting thing for a Nintendo fan is that this looks to be the first mostly-original game by NST. Sure, they did Wave Race:Blue Storm and 1080: Avalanche, but those were relatively straightforward. This is their coming-out-party, and our first chance to evaluate them on their game design merits as opposed to programming merits.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006, 07:42:20 AM »
i recently heard metroid Dread was, forgive me for this, dead.
some gaming mazine that i get sent to me that i don't really want but it helps pass the time by on the can when my gba is rechargins said so.
oh well i was looking fwd to a new metroid side scroller.
i did however just see footage of hunters and it looks like an awesome multiplayer game.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2006, 07:50:12 AM »
"I'll confess, I was never a Metroid Fan to begin with. Gumpei Yokoi is no Shigeru Miyamoto in my book."

*GASP*

This is pretty much exactly my point.  If you're not a Metroid fan then you don't deserve to have Nintendo create a very non-Metroid game to please you.  If you don't like the real Metroid then tough sh!t.  You shouldn't have any Metroid then.

This is no different then Ubisoft making Warrior Within specifically for people that didn't like Sands of Time.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2006, 07:53:04 AM »
Who's to say Nintendo "gave in"? Since when does Nintendo "give in" to demands?

That notion seems to run counter to your point that they're always telling people what they want instead of giving it to them, Ian.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2006, 07:59:36 AM »
Kairon: Even more, centipedes aren't insects. Insects have six legs and four wings (any of these can be crippled to the point where you can't see it).

It's called a port when the game logic and graphics are translated pretty much unchanged from one platform to another and the plan was to make it the same game. Tetris DS has six additional modes. It's a sequel, not a port.

I think Prime Hunters is a lot more justified than the other Prime games scenario-wise. Prime was an unnecessary addition to the Metroid timeline. Prime Hunters seems like an event not significant enough to go down into her CV, it's just the usual job.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
You same people griping about MPH being too far afield from a traditional Metroid game know darned well you'd have been complaining if Nintendo had kept their Wifi library full of Mario Karts and Animal Crossings and didn't release a robust FPS.

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »
Third time saying this in recent weeks:

No matter what Nintendo does, they cannot win.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2006, 08:47:11 AM »
"You same people griping about MPH being too far afield from a traditional Metroid game know darned well you'd have been complaining if Nintendo had kept their Wifi library full of Mario Karts and Animal Crossings and didn't release a robust FPS."

I fail to see how said FPS has to be a Metroid game.  You make it sound like it's Metroid Prime Hunters or bust and that NST couldn't have made a different FPS instead.

"It's called a port when the game logic and graphics are translated pretty much unchanged from one platform to another and the plan was to make it the same game. Tetris DS has six additional modes. It's a sequel, not a port."

By your logic Super Mario Bros DX for the GBC could be considered a sequel because it has extra modes not found in the original NES game.  Most games can add new levels and areas and thus create a sequel even if the gameplay is exactly the same.  But puzzle games are odd in that they have this sort of basic game engine and regardless of extra doodads or special modes you still are pretty much doing the exact same thing.  It's not just Tetris.  I don't really consider all the different Puyo Puyo or Puzzle Bobble or Columns or Panel De Pon games to really be sequels either.  Tetris 2 is a sequel because the puzzle part of the game is different.  Same with Tetris Attack though technically it's not a Tetris game.  If that "box" area where all the pieces fall down is the same then I consider it the same game because with a puzzle game that "box" is everything.  Do you consider Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League to be different games?  I sure don't.

If hypothetically we discovered some alien race and it was your job to supply them with the Earth's greatest games would you give them both Tetris and Tetris DS?  I sure as hell wouldn't.  I would just take all the nifty extra doodads from different versions of Tetris, put them all in one game and call it Tetris.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2006, 09:02:55 AM »
They could've made the exact same game and not used the Metroid license, but why should they? Metroid is a recognizable name, the characters aren't out of place in an FPS, and it makes marketing that much easier.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2006, 09:14:44 AM »
"They could've made the exact same game and not used the Metroid license, but why should they? Metroid is a recognizable name, the characters aren't out of place in an FPS, and it makes marketing that much easier."

To avoid overexposure of the Metroid franchise and to demonstrate that Nintendo, supposedly infamous for rehashing, is capable of busting something new out without a franchise shoehorned into it.  They didn't NEED to make this a Metroid game.  They could have made a successful new franchise that's fresh and exciting and thus would have more life left in it.  This is a DS game.  It would probably have sold a million copies just by being a portable game in a popular genre made by Nintendo.  I think "Nintendo's take on Halo" is strong enough association to attract attention.

Nintendo is treading on dangerous ground with all this franchise whoring.  They're already approaching this awkward niche where they're becoming known purely as a nostalgia company that pumps out tried and true franchise titles but little else.  The longer it continues the harder it will be for Nintendo to sell anything new and the more they milk their franchises the more people will get sick of them and their selling power will diminish.  Eventually people are going to just be so bored and tired of the same franchises that they're not going to buy them and Nintendo won't have any new stuff to pick up the slack.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2006, 09:26:48 AM »
I interupt this discussion to say that my Toys-r-us all the way in upstate new york has tons of copies of both games!

I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to play me!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
Can you point out a single instance where a franchise's sales suffered from overexposure? You keep talking about it like it's this big threat... where's the threat? Metroid becomes what Mario is, or what Sonic was in the later Genesis days. We should be so lucky.