Author Topic: New Reggie Interview  (Read 20657 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Reggie Interview
« on: February 08, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
http://revolutionreport.com/articles/read/292

Not much revealed really, I just thought it was kind of interesting.  The first anser kind of puzzled me...does Nintendo really plan on revealing new things all the way up till launch?  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Oh, and for those of you (myself included) who were looking for Rev online to be more like Xbox Live or something of the sort, you're going to be disappointed...Reggie states that Nintendo's plan is to make online friend-based and peer-to-peer.  
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: New Reggie Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
Well that is not really surprising given that is how the system works now. And I didn't really expect that they would do an entire overhaul of the system. They will add new things and there will be mroe revealed. But changing from a peer-to-peer to a server host which would be more expensive, plus require an overhaul of gamespy's network wouldn't be one of them.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »
I want Rev online to be pay-to-play like Xbox Live!  Wait a second...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:New Reggie Interview
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 02:53:27 PM »
Nintendo took away the one thing I hated about online, stupid random encounters with random people who think spelling l33t is somehow a little aceptable. If I ever want to get online it would be with some of you people here at PGC, maybe from other forums and family and friends if they ever get a DS. I can do that perfectly with the current system so: me = happy.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »
"Honestly, I don't know. If I look at this personally, given my own gaming experience, I would love to play my favorite game, whether it's Kid Icarus or it's Zelda: A Link to the Past. I'd like to play the original game in its original configuration. I don't know how I would feel as a fan to take that original game and to augment it in some way."

YES!  This is awesome!  I hate it when they tinker for no reason.  If you're interested in the retro download service odds are you want to original versions so it makes sense.

I'm not too keen on the "friends only" design of the online service.  It is possible to CHOOSE to only play with friends with more open systems like Xbox Live.  No one forces anyone to play with strangers, you just CAN if you want to.  If there's a cost reason to go with the friend system, as in that's the very reason why Nintendo can afford to offer online for free, then I support it.  But it's kinda lame to intentionally offer such a restriction.  I'm getting a little tired of Nintendo deciding what's best for me and denying me options.

I think it's just plain dumb to continue to hide stuff after E3.  There's no point for all this secrecy.  Sony and MS aren't going to copy the Rev because they think it's lame and don't consider old fuddy-duddy Nintendo to be a threat.  And it's hard to take Nintendo seriously when they're talking about all this innovation and they've shown no proof.  They made a big deal about connectivity too and it SUCKED.  Nintendo doesn't have the credibility to be overly secretive.  If the Rev is so great PROVE IT.  No one wants just a bunch of talk from a company that's been underdelivering for nearly ten years now.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:19:22 PM »
I don't know if I'm going insane or what but I've started to agree with Ian about just about everything.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
"And it's hard to take Nintendo seriously when they're talking about all this innovation and they've shown no proof. They made a big deal about connectivity too and it SUCKED."

Come on, the controller wasn't innovative enough?

Isn't Reggie's speech tomorrow? Where's the hype?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 04:30:59 PM »
I would imagine that there is a cost issue prohibiting a huge online venture, and I'd rather not pay-to-play.  I really don't know too much about it, but I would imagine a peer-to-peer connection would be pretty cheap, comparitively.

NWC is just fine, most of the changes we want would happen on a software level.  Mario Kart wasn't so hawt because you couldn't directly choose which person to play agianst.  This has to be a software issue, because you could choose in Animal Crossing.  Although I'm not sure about the speed of connecting to peers, I fear that that may not improve too much.  Still, it's FREE, and that's the most important part.

While Nintendo is being secretive, I'm positive they're going to reveal most important stuff at E3, and only minor things after.  They're probably envisioning tweaks and changes they may make, and I think they'll wait to reveal the definite pricing till after E3.  We'll get enough new info at E3 to get the hype train started, and nothing ground-breaking will be revealed after.  It seems natural to get the big thing out at E3, and then slowly get more specific with the details up until launch.  Plus, don't forget games, details about all the games needs to be revealed, and there just isn't going to be enough time at E3 to do all that.  They can afford to be plenty secretive, but they have to choose just what to be secretive about
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I'm not too keen on the "friends only" design of the online service.  It is possible to CHOOSE to only play with friends with more open systems like Xbox Live.  No one forces anyone to play with strangers, you just CAN if you want to.  If there's a cost reason to go with the friend system, as in that's the very reason why Nintendo can afford to offer online for free, then I support it.  But it's kinda lame to intentionally offer such a restriction.  I'm getting a little tired of Nintendo deciding what's best for me and denying me options.

I think it's just plain dumb to continue to hide stuff after E3.  There's no point for all this secrecy.  Sony and MS aren't going to copy the Rev because they think it's lame and don't consider old fuddy-duddy Nintendo to be a threat.  And it's hard to take Nintendo seriously when they're talking about all this innovation and they've shown no proof.  They made a big deal about connectivity too and it SUCKED.  Nintendo doesn't have the credibility to be overly secretive.  If the Rev is so great PROVE IT.  No one wants just a bunch of talk from a company that's been underdelivering for nearly ten years now.

Well I'd assume you could still play strangers a kin to Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing.  I think it kind of sucks that you can't get to know some cool people online but there are probably more uncool gamers out there - so lesser of two evils, both socially and expense-wise.  Ian, Nintendo's goal is not to make you miserable.  If there is a 'restriction' in place online, it is probably cost (to both them and the consumer [cost = restriction]) since they've been talking about profit for years.
Ian, you really can't say that Sony and MS won't copy Revolution.  Nintendo has practically made the home console industry and largely the competitors have simply improved or marketed their ideas better or in the case of Crash Bandicoot went to market first.  As for connectivity it wasn't that it wasn't a good idea - it was poorly implemented and not as good as even past 'connectivity' attempts like Pokemon/Transfer Pak.  In any case, 4 years of lack of innovative hardware can not speak for 20 years of pioneering on both the hardware and software front.
In the case of the Revolution, Nintendo is actually seeking patents and the like.  And the Revolution could be a revolution, if Nintendo wants everything set just right, I'd rather they unveil it near perfect later than hear you bitch about how the Revolution was rushed.
Kiss the Cynic!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 05:07:15 PM »
Holy crap...tomorrow's February 9!  It didn't even hit me till now!

Here's hoping for SOMETHING to be shown tomorrow...

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
ha Yes, tomorrow at 9:30 am

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
With Iwata scheduled for GDC, I bet we'll get absolutely no Rev news tomorrow...

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 06:34:52 PM »
There's no point for all this secrecy. Sony and MS aren't going to copy the Rev because they think it's lame and don't consider old fuddy-duddy Nintendo to be a threat.

on the other hand - sony still hasn't revealed their controller yet, so it's not entirely irrational for nintendo to keep their cards close to the chest.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 06:42:13 PM »

Originally posted by: willie1234
There's no point for all this secrecy. Sony and MS aren't going to copy the Rev because they think it's lame and don't consider old fuddy-duddy Nintendo to be a threat.

on the other hand - sony still hasn't revealed their controller yet, so it's not entirely irrational for nintendo to keep their cards close to the chest.

Actually SONY did reveal their controller, everybody laughed at them and they got the batman fanboys all excited.  So then they said it was only a prototype or a mockup of what it actually could look like.  It still wouldnt suprise me when SONY does release the final design of their controller it has some sort of gyroscopic sensor in it or perhaps a magnet so you can stick it to your belt.
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 08:18:51 PM »
"Come on, the controller wasn't innovative enough?"

Without a decent demonstration it's all theoretical.  When Nintendo revealed connectivity I thought it was a really cool idea.  But then they didn't actually show anything for it and when they finally did it was pretty weak stuff for the most part.  The idea isn't good enough.  It's all about the implementation of the idea.

"In any case, 4 years of lack of innovative hardware can not speak for 20 years of pioneering on both the hardware and software front."

With gaming it's "what you have done for me lately?"  Atari used to be THE gaming company but how awesome they were in 70s had no bearing on the crash they would cause in the 80s.  Sega used to have a fantastic reputation and now it's generally assumed that everything they announce will suck.  What about Rare?  Five years ago they were considered one of the greatest developers around.  Now they're really not that big of a deal.  With developers you can't take the past into account when discussing the present and future.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 08:35:56 PM »
For the record, I am in love with Pac Man VS.

~Carmine Red
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 08:38:06 PM »
1)  Comparing motion-sensing to connectivity is stupid...Talk about comparing a mountain to a molehill...

2)  Atari and Sega slowly began to degrade...It wasn't a "Oh look, an awesome game, and then they started making crappy games the next day"...The last awesome Nintendo game I bought was Animal Crossing a couple months ago, and I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt they will be degrading that quickly...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »
Good ole Iwata-Eeyore. I hope we at least get a Zelda release date.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 02:10:49 AM »
Just announce one game today.  One.  I don't even have to see it, Reggie.  I'll believe you.  Just say it, for my sanity's sake.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 04:09:14 AM »
Isn't the GDC in March?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 04:25:38 AM »
My guess is we're only gonna see the official US unveiling of the DS Lite tonight along with some nice high res beauty shots of it to combat those rather ugly ones from yesterday...

And no, I haven't been staff long enough to have any inside info or anything.. it's just a complete guess.. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 05:33:56 AM »
Ian, for proof Sony still has the utmost respect for Nintendo's innovation skills and has no problem stealing every good idea the company has, look no futher.

I do agree that Nintendo needs to show the goods at E3, though.  If the company wants to keep some little secrets between then and launch, okay, but we need to see the controller in action on real games.  We must.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 06:23:42 AM »

No one wants just a bunch of talk from a company that's been underdelivering for nearly ten years now.

So the DS is just chopped liver, then?

I agree that it's all BS until we see some proof, but the DS was the same way and look how well THAT turned out.

If they don't screw it up, Nintendo could do some great things with this new concept.

–SB
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 06:39:47 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I do agree that Nintendo needs to show the goods at E3, though.  If the company wants to keep some little secrets between then and launch, okay, but we need to see the controller in action on real games.  We must.
Reggie: "We'll be showing a lot of titles at this year's E3, and we think that's where consumers will get a flavor for the full range of titles and the full range of activity that we will have for our launch window."

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 07:28:37 AM »
Does anyone else know what Reggie said at the D.I.C.E. Summit?  Did Zelda or the DSL get a release date?