Author Topic: Electroplankton: On Sale Now!  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Electroplankton: On Sale Now!
« on: January 09, 2006, 01:56:59 PM »
Mix music like a pro on Nintendo's latest non-game.

Nintendo's Electroplankton Turns Music Novices Into Mixing Maestros    

Users Create Magical Tunes on the Go

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Whether you're musically inclined or  musically impaired, Nintendo's new Electroplankton(TM) will make you a  mixing maestro.  The musical experience, launching today exclusively for  Nintendo DS(TM), lets users score music by using the touch screen or  speaking into the microphone.  Sounds can be sampled, manipulated, changed  and rearranged to help even novices create engrossing beats and harmonies.    

Electroplankton exemplifies Nintendo's commitment to expand the frontier of  innovation in the video game universe.  Electroplankton, for instance, could  not be possible on any other system.  Only the special features of Nintendo  DS make it possible for users to compose music ranging from techno beats to  ethereal rhythms.  And because Nintendo DS is portable, users can make music  whenever and wherever inspiration strikes.    

"Electroplankton is a great way to kick off what promises to be an exciting  year for Nintendo," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive  vice president of sales & marketing.  "It's the kind of casual game that  will attract a broad audience and help Nintendo DS continue to expand its  lead as the most popular new hand-held system."    

Getting started with Electroplankton could not be easier.  Users simply  choose one of 10 music-making modes and dive right in.  One mode lets users  manipulate the leaves of a plant using the touch screen.  As colorful  plankton launch into the air, they bounce off the leaves in melodic  combinations. Another mode acts as a sampler.  Users record up to four  different sounds with the microphone and then layer them over drum loops to  create a personalized beat.    

The game was designed by renowned Japanese electronic artist Toshio Iwai.  His artistry adds both beauty and whimsy to Electroplankton and makes it as  much a delight for the eyes as it is for the ears.    

Nintendo has selected a distribution method for Electroplankton befitting  its quirky character.  Electroplankton, Rated E for Everyone, is available  now through Nintendo.com and major online retailers, as well as at the  Nintendo World Store in New York.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Electroplankton: On Sale Now!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »
Reviews haven't been incredibly hot so far.  How is it?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
RE: Electroplankton: On Sale Now!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 02:04:54 PM »
I've been playing it all day and I gotta say, it's so-so. I need more time to be sure (for the upcoming review), but I'm not positive if it's everything I was hoping for.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
It's fun to play around with once in awhile. Does it come in the 'special' packaging of the JAP version?
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline archioverload

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 02:37:35 PM »
78 on Metacritic isn't not hot. It seems like a love it or hate it deal. Of course many game reviewers try to pigeonhole their model on what a game should be, rather than taking it on its own terms.

btw I wish games like  ATV Fury (or whatever) and NFS on the DS would have a "quirky" (i.e. nonexistent) distribution model.  
"Dazzle people with smoke and mirrors, and swoop down like an eagle to clutch their hearts in your claws." --Travis, Killer 7

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »
That actually is not so hot.  Below an 8 on a game hyped as heavily as this is disappointing.  Same way with Super Mario Strikers,Mario Superstar Baseball, or (lol) Mario Party.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »
Hype?  Where?

Like selling the game online-only is a way to signify "high profile".
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 03:08:37 PM »
If the copy I recieved is the same one being shipped out by Nintendo (and I'm pretty sure it is, since it came in a condition one would associate with a new game; new box, plastic wrap, etc), then it surely does not have anything special (i.e. earphones). It's a bummer, I know. As for reviewers not taking it in with an open mind, I don't think that's the case; I pretty much took in all the game had to offer after a few hours, which is disappointing. Maybe it gets a second wind later on, I'll have to wait and see, but from what I've seen so far, it's a mostly average title, non-game or otherwise.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 03:15:14 PM »
And if you don't know what you want to create with it, music-wise, would that just make it worse?

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 03:24:30 PM »
Once you get the hang of the application, you know how to manipulate things to your liking. Until then, it's pretty much experimentation, but it doesn't make it any worse; it's easy to learn.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
Then isn't that a good thing?  Learning your options in a relatively short amount of time?  It's not Donkey Konga, not DDR, not Guitar Hero, it's a shaggadelic creativity app, right?  Is it MS Paint married with a Winamp visualizer plugin, or is it a game with specific rewards?

Offline Gilbrod

• Nani?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »
Um, hello numbnuts. Its a NON-GAME!!! I think it's loads of fun. Even more fun when 2 people have it. Experimentation is key. But if you think of it as a game, then you will never enjoy it.  
Why all the racism? We are all pink on the inside.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 04:04:27 PM »
Thank you.

Frigid cashews.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »
I'm not saying it's not intuitive or easy to grasp; that is a good thing, but when you feel like you've gotten the whole experience in a few hours, it's hard to reccomend a purchase. My opinion isn't final, since I've only had it since earlier today, but so far, I don't see it being the canvas without boundaries that it's been made out to be. That's not to say that it's a bad game, or that other people won't love it, but not everyone's willing to spend $34.99 on an average-as-they-see-it title, pure and simple. I know I'm not. Anyway, that's all I'll say about Electroplankton for now. You'll see my final thoughts in the review. Expect a Talkback thread; I have a feeling people will have plenty to say.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 04:13:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've got a good grasp on what this game's about, and I think I'd love it.....for $20.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
I just ordered it online for a grand total of $39.99, more out of curiosity than anything else.  If anything, it'll be a neat little collector's item.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 08:05:01 PM »
I have the Japanese version (oh yes).  Really fun, but only as a distraction or something to show to your friends.  I still go back and play it for ten or twenty minutes every so often (more than most games), but it's not something you play constantly.
Also, it's very relaxing.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
It's probably not worth $35, but maybe I'll play it while I'm lounging in the tub.

I'm just glad that the DS has a large enough fan base and enough developer support to get weird, experimental games like this.  Usually these wacky games only show up on the PS2.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ConfusedFX

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 05:26:57 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
Reviews haven't been incredibly hot so far.  How is it?

GameDAILY has a pretty good review on this game, you should check it out. I'm not all too sure what to think about it -- on one hand, it sounds pretty fun, but on the other, I'm not sure if it's worth the money.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
yeah i was thinking about importing it a long time ago, but i figured +$50 just to import it is risky.  Now that it is in America i still don't think $34.99 is a good price point.  I the sweet spot would be somewhere like $20.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »
I did import it way back when. Fun little game, but definitely not worth the $35, particularly as it's just a standard version. The Japanese "limited" packaging has some collectibility. It bombed even in Japan, so maybe it could be considered R@RE someday. Maybe.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 06:17:09 AM »
I saw this in EB a few days ago.  I was pretty surprised to see it.  I was thinking it would be neat to get it as a novelty but it's too expensive for that.  I think it would work best as a cheap impulse buy but from reviews it sounds way to limited to be worth full price.