Author Topic: Good Marketing, Nintendo.  (Read 6111 times)

Offline telaris

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Good Marketing, Nintendo.
« on: February 20, 2003, 11:42:51 AM »
So far I've seen 4 commercials for the special Gamecube deal where you get a game free. Once on the Bachelorette and three times on American Idol. Those are two big prime time shows with high ratings. And ive seen 1 commercial advertising the new Zelda and the Master Quest, OoT deal. I think that was on Joe Millionaire.

Much better advertising, which is what should be happening.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 12:14:27 PM »
Last night I still missed the Zelda commercial even though it was ten feet behind me during Star Search.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 12:23:39 PM »
Star Search not only makes you miss Zelda commercials, it's also a one-way ticket to Hell.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 12:25:24 PM »
I agree, Star Search is no Nintendo game(note the comparison), but it was actually this forum that made me miss the commercial.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 12:27:26 PM »
This forum isn't quite a one-way ticket to Hell, but it is disgusting in the way it's so addictive.  I'm trying to pace myself these days.  ;-)

As for Nintendo, the other day when watching TV, I did catch the "free" ad a few times.  Keep it up, N!

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 12:35:48 PM »
This place is the most addictive thing I've experienced since Black and White, I just sit here for hours hitting refresh. Its quite sad now that I look at it.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 12:41:33 PM »
Gamer Donkey--don't feel guilty!  Just enjoy it--you never know when your brain will pull the plug and force you into watching MTV or taking up knitting.  Or, worst of all, playing the XBOX.*

(*Dear friends, I swear to you, I just wanted to make a lame fanboyish joke.  I don't dislike the XBOX, and if I had the money, I'd go get one this very hour with Panzer Orta and Kakuto Chojin.**)

(**Dear friends, I swear I was just kidding about that Chojin part.  But you knew that already, right?  Right???)

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 12:46:30 PM »
Please, call me donkey.

So many asterics.
And I don't feel guilty really, just a self-observation as my therapist calls it(no, I don't have a therapist*).
And to get back on topic(sorry telaris for mindless chat(no offense sean)) I haven't seen the 180 games commercial lately.

(*does not include mother)

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 12:57:56 PM »
Donkey, when you say "no offense sean" I say, "None taken there, buddy."  I was feeling bad myself for mucking up his nice thread with inane stuff such as the above (Donkey's posts not included, of course).

I should watch more television, if I want to catch more commercials.  To me, almost nothing gets marketed on TV, but considering how little I watch, I'm guessing I'm not a good Advertising Barometer.*  The stuff I have seen--and bear in mind I never saw the "Clean is better" Mario Sunshine commercial--from Metroid Prime (a bit hokey when it shows the live-action shots, I thought, which is a shame consider how awesome Alex Proyas is) to Fusion to Eternal Darkness to that great old Golden Sun commercial, well, I've thought they were all very nicely done.  The funniest ones have been for Animal Crossing, but I've only seen those on the GCN demo I got from Toys R Us.  Those are classics, really.  

I think that's a case where clever marketing and fine word of mouth sold the game through and through.  Mario Sunshine was probably hurt (but it still sold well, dang it!) by its commercials and from all the bad press about its graphics, etc.  Oh well.  I should get off here and go play some games, speaking of them...haha.

(*This has not been invented yet.  I'm working on it.**)

(**I'm going to lay off the asterisks for a while.***)

(***Scratch that.)

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 01:03:14 PM »
You know, I never relized until just now there were SMS and Animal Crossing commercials. I'd read people talking about them but I just realized I've seen them.

(What is up with me posting at the same time as others tonight?)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 01:41:30 PM »
I really hope Nintendo Australia plays these adverts when they introduce the free game plan. I wanna see them *Cries like a little girl*

... And you think this place is addictive? Damn, I spend hours over at the Gamingforce.com forums =P

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2003, 02:54:12 PM »
Gamer Donkey-I think its Dredrick Tatum, if your talking about the boxer on the simpsons
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2003, 03:50:21 PM »
I like the Zelda commercial, but I loved the Japanese one.  For those who haven't seen it, the two commercials are put together for the Wind Waker video on the OoT disc.  Nothing but gameplay and a remixed Hyrule theme.

-- ShockingAlberto
Press X to run.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2003, 04:17:48 PM »
Don't know, guess I'll have to watch more Simpsons.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2003, 06:56:36 PM »
someone in america should make a care package for us aussies consisitng of tapes of nintendo adds
and perhaps if i was a little richer i could do nintendo's marketing for them

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2003, 10:39:52 PM »
I wish we could get the official GameCube magazine from America. I understand that Nintendo don't think Australia is a big enough market for our own magazine, but they won't even let us import. I just can't understand why not.

Offline silverwings01

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2003, 06:59:08 AM »
I wish that Nintendo would show the previews they have on the Bonus Disk for commercials.  

Oh, saw both the Zelda commercial and the Free game commercial during Reign on CN.  Good job, Nintendo!

EDIT:

Oh, and I also think they should bring back commercials similar to the ones they had at launch, where the guy would be surrounded by a cube and there'd be gameplay.  And I hear they put advertisments on G4? Why not put them on Tech TV?  Everyone I know watches Tech TV (and they all own either PS2 and XBox).  Tech TV caters to that older male demographic that Nintendo supposebly isn't reaching.  Why not advertise RE, ED, etc. on this channel?  (i think i've gone off topic, oh well)

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2003, 09:36:09 PM »
The person-in-cube commercials were actually still used in the time upto last Christmas in Europe. They were used to show gameplay footage of ED/Mario/Starfox & Zelda/FF:CC/Metroid in 2 seperate commercials, which were over pretty quickly with a voice guiding you through the game titles.
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Alliedrally68

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2003, 07:26:24 AM »
I'm sorry, this is off topic, but Nintendo, that is an awesome sig!
Allied Rally
.....////////......///////....
...///...........///...///....
..////////.......//////.......
.///...///.....///...///......
.///////......///////.........  "