Author Topic: PGC Annnounces Dream Game Revolution Contest!  (Read 8645 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
PGC Annnounces Dream Game Revolution Contest!
« on: September 23, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
UPDATE: The contest has now ended.

As of now, we are no longer accepting submissions. Due to the high amount of game ideas sent in, it may take a few days before the winner is notified. Soon after this, though, the content will be visible online. Thank you again if you sent in an entry. And, of course, a big thanks to Nintendo of America for donating a Game Boy Micro, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.    

On September 15th, we all got to feast our eyes on Nintendo's revolutionary  new controller, nunchucks and all. And just as we saw a slew of opinions  come from the development community and the media, I'm sure you saw your own  gaming dreams come to life in the advent of learning the interface's  innovative qualities.    

Well, now it's time to put those ideas to the test. Until midnight Eastern  Time, October 1st, 2005, PGC will be accepting submissions in the Dream  Games section. Only one will be selected to be published, so make sure  you've hammered out all of the fine points - being specific is key! Also,  make sure to abide by the following rules:    

• Must take advantage of the innovative features of the Revolution's  controller.  
  • No images (just text will do).  
  • No attachments (copy/paste the article into the email).  
  • No existing franchises may be used (be creative!).  
  • You can create your own attachment peripherals only if it's logical  and can be sold at a reasonable price.  
  • Not open to PGC staff members or their immediate families.  
  • Submissions must be original and unique and are limited to one per  contestant.  Anyone found to be submitting multiple entries will be  immediately disqualified.  
  • By submitting an entry, you grant Planet GameCube the right to publish your  written entry.  Planet GameCube makes no claim of ownership of the actual  game design concepts.  
  • The winning entry will be decided by members of the Planet GameCube  staff, whose decisions are final.

If being published at PGC isn't enough for you, Nintendo of America has  graciously donated a Game Boy Micro to the contest. Play GBA games on the  brightest screen the Big N has ever released while admiring your work on  Planet GameCube. Does it get any better? Actually, yes! Along with this  brand new handheld, Nintendo is also including two of the best games on the  system: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap and Fire Emblem: The Sacred  Stones. And in case you're not a resident of the United States, we're opening up this contest to our entire audience, worldwide. PGC would like to thank Nintendo for donating such a great prize -  this is going to make winning all the more sweet for one lucky (and  creative) reader out there.    

Send us your submission now!

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: PGC Annnounces Dream Game Revolution Contest!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:36:26 PM »
Sounds like a fun challenge!

No images (just text will do).

This is roar, will including images disqualify a contestant, or are you just implying that including images won't give you any advantage.  I've already got an idea going that may need an image to help explain.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:49:41 PM »
The reason that we're not encouraging images is so that artistic talent doesn't come into play - just creativity. If at all possible, just explain the idea as best you can through words.

But to answer your question, you won't be disqualified for including an image. It'll just be discounted as if it weren't there.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 06:56:36 PM »
so... is this like the awesome contest last year where everyone in the world was elligible for the contest? Somthing tells me it isnt.  
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:17:06 PM »
*whew*

This is fun  I just typed up an entire idea and made a few diagrams non-stop since my last post in this thread.  Of course, I've got a week for more ideas to come so I'm not going to send it in just yet.  I just better not forget.....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:39:20 PM »
All submissions become the property of Planet GameCube but will not be used without the author's express permission.

I prefer wordings like "By submitting your entry you greant us an unrestricted and irrevocable license to reprint your submission text" because that means I could still do what I just wrote and not be liable for cpyright infringement. Never mind that copyright is non-transferrable in some jurisdictions.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:15 PM »
The submission, as in what you write, becomes property of PGC...not the concept itself.  We're not a development firm, so we have no interest in the actual concepts.  We'll clarify the wording there.

This contest is open to PGC readers around the world.  I've asked Karl to update the article to that effect.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:29:26 PM »
The problem I see is what is the derivative work there? An idea in my head does not fall under copyright yet, until I write it down or implement it it isn't protected. The submission would be the first work based on this IP and any game would be a derivative work thereof, entitling PGC to royalties. Unless I type out the design document first, then reword it and submit it. Anything I didn't mention in the original document would belong to PGC as well.

Also, I think IP can only be transferred from an individual to a corporation through a work-for-hire contract (US law) or not at all (EU law, work-for-hire grants the employer a license to the IP from what I heard, they have to renegotiate it if the employee is let go and another game is made using that asset), saying "you transfer the copyright to us by submitting" wouldn't work in some of the jurisdictions involved. "You grant us a license" would be valid in all jurisdictions and cause much less trouble (well, okay, it wouldn't match your copyright footer...).

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE:PGC Annnounces Dream Game Revolution Contest!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 01:16:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
The submission, as in what you write, becomes property of PGC...not the concept itself.  We're not a development firm, so we have no interest in the actual concepts.

I've heard rumours to the contrary concerning various staff.

Regardless I don't care. Should any PGC member who is actually Reggie acting under an alias like "Justin Nation*" (lol what kind of last name is that?) take my idea and make a game of it. Playing the game will be a reward in itself.

*Yeah I know, he isn't really Reggie, and doens't work for you anymore.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 08:21:37 AM »
Article has been adjusted accordingly. Oh, and mantidor, it's worldwide.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 08:24:25 AM »
Great, thanks. Now, to the drawing board...

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 08:28:04 AM »
Disclaimer: Past/present/future staff might have been/might be/will be employed by a developer in the past/present/future. All your submission are belong to PGC.

As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're not being watched.  
"wow."

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 08:40:07 AM »
I just finished reading a half-dozen of these submissions. A couple of them are awesome! The winner is really gonna have to come up with something special.

Offline miedo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 09:38:11 AM »
No existing franchises may be used (be creative!).

There goes my Power Rangers idea.  We must defeat Hurricane Rita Replusa with the Megazord!

Oh well, off to the cutter.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 11:48:57 AM »
If you're worried about legal problems of copyright, despite the changes we've made to the contest rules, then the only safe thing to do is to abstain from the contest or submit only ideas that you have no intention of ever forming into a real game.  I don't think we can make the rules language any clearer or more protective without paying a lawyer to edit it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 12:02:30 PM »
I think it'd be better as a 'Design a Microgame for Wario Ware Rev" contest. I could do that.
Only The Man can keep me down now.

Offline miedo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 01:55:44 PM »

Originally posted by: Random_Black_Dude
I think it'd be better as a 'Design a Microgame for Wario Ware Rev" contest. I could do that.
It'd be too easy to just copy the gold digger minigame.  Up...down...up...down

Oh wait, that resembles something else.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 03:06:54 PM »
"No existing franchises may be used (be creative!). "

So much for 'Super Bowser World' idea.

"....or submit only ideas that you have no intention of ever forming into a real game."

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. It'll probably never happen, but I do dream of designing games someday....
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 05:27:17 PM »
Is there any standard format? I'm guessing there'll be some who write their ideas a la 5 paragraph essay, some in a resume format, and maybe some odd combination of the two.

Do you want just a bare bones project in which you just explain how the controller will work, or do you want a little backstory to go with it?

Good luck to all the applicants! Can't wait to see what crazy ideas PGC'ers will come up with
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 05:48:57 PM »
Let me put it this way. The more detail you have the better chance you'll have what we're looking for. If you need specific guidance, look at the Dream Games on-site. That should give you a good idea as to what format you should use. The best ones I've read so far mimic that style pretty closely.

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
^^Wha?^^

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »
VG's talking about this.  That's the suggested formatting for your entry, but do whatever you want, it's the ideas inside that count.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »
Can multiple entries be submitted? Or have I just not read where it said only one entry per entrant.  
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2005, 04:05:59 PM »
KnowsNothing is correct. If you're completely lost as to how you should go about it, use the previous Dream Games to guide you. But if you feel like formatting it differently and can still explain your game well, go for it. I've gotten a couple that are designed very differently and are fantastic.

Speaking of recieved entries, I've gotten quite a bit. Must be around 30 now. I've read some really great ideas, too. Keep 'em coming, guys.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
Out of curisotiy mostly, about how long are most entries?  Also, should I be creating a complete game with characters and a story, or just be explaining the premise and gameplay?  Will including those kinds of details help me?

Not that I think I really have a chance anyway