Author Topic: Oh Sh!t  (Read 3694 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Oh Sh!t
« on: July 15, 2005, 05:25:37 AM »
http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5401

Why, I do believe we are ever so screwed.

EDIT: Remember how there wasn't any (if I remember correctly) EA support for Dreamcast...look what happened there...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
RE: Oh Sh!t
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:45:04 AM »
Well, Burnout Legends supposed to be a PSP-exclusive, now its confirmed for the DS too... what a small 2 million unit lead can make gamecompanies do these days.
Or Nintendo is forcing developers to come up with new stuff (like MIcrosoft is forcing developers to add HD-support) and new stuff and EA in the same sentence, that'll be the day.
"SOMETHING"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 07:51:37 AM »
This is a rumour so don't freak out yet.

Personally I would actually kind of like it if EA didn't support the Rev.  I don't like anything they make and their absence might get Nintendo more in gear.  If EA didn't fill up the DS launch lineup maybe Nintendo would have tried to get another first party game in there.  Nintendo isn't very good at identifying good third parties from bad ones.  They tend to just make sure that something is in the release schedule even if it blows.  With EA gone there would be a bigger gap in the release schedule so Nintendo might notice they have to improve.

But no EA support would really hurt the public perception of the Rev and could encourage other third parties to jump ship.  They would probably be American third parties who I don't give a crap about but it could hurt sales which would drive away the Japanese ones I do care about.  Overall it's more negative and it didn't help the Dreamcast.  But that was Sega and this is Nintendo so it's not exactly the same thing.  Sega was pretty much screwed no matter what.  Nintendo could tough it out much longer.

But logically why would EA abandon Nintendo?  They support the N-Gage.  They support EVERYTHING.  The Dreamcast was an exception to the rule.  In that case it was more like EA trying to sabotage Sega.  Why would EA want to sabotage Nintendo?

The only logical reason I could see is that Nintendo is being too different and EA can't just port everything like they always do.  I can see why EA wouldn't want to make original games for the Rev.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 08:59:54 AM »
They don't mention the Rev because they either don't have an SDK or aren't allowed to talk about it yet. Besides, could just be that this guy forgot the Rev because he's one of those "Xbox or PS2?" people.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:Oh Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 09:51:13 AM »
Game Informer Online recently interviewed a rep from EA and they spoke briefly about the Revolution and how EA is "excited with the new possibilities for game development." I think that solidifies some sort of support right there.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 11:12:05 AM »
NEED.....NEW.....NFS.....AND.......SPORTS.......FOR.......REVOLUTION

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 04:52:21 PM »
Their source is Nintendojo. So I don't believe it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:27:24 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman
Their source is Nintendojo. So I don't believe it.

Yep, yep, and yep. I stopped reading after that source was cited.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 07:44:35 PM »
they were ahead onm the hd debacle though, but overall nintendojo bites
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 06:44:20 PM »

Originally posted by: raptorspike
NEED.....NEW.....NFS.....AND.......SPORTS.......FOR.......REVOLUTION

YOU...NEED...A...PUNCH...IN...THE...GOB!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 04:54:22 AM »
Actually Nintendo is pretty good in identifying good 3rd parties from bad 3rd parties.  Just look at all they titles they made jointed with other companies.  Retro used to be 50% bad 3rd party now they're shaped up.  Also we don't know enough for a company to simply just want to work on the Rev.  Maybe a company like Square-Enix knows more than we know in general about hardware and if they didn't they're more confident because they know they can make great games.

EA is popular for the sports games.  Nintendo needs sports games.  Their sports department is pretty poor, Left Field left them, and when it comes to popular Sports licenses EA has got them.  Other than that I don't care for sports games.  Sega can probably make something up its the name and look that affects the media and some Mario sports title is always welcome to me since it doesn't go so realistically.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 08:14:32 AM »
I would rather have "Nintendo Sports" featuring all the Nintendo characters without tacking on Mario or an existing franchise.

If Smash Bros can be so successful, and have no direct labelled connection to Mario, then so can anything else.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »
"Retro used to be 50% bad 3rd party now they're shaped up."

Retro was never a third party.  They were created by Nintendo.  They were initially a second party and then Nintendo bought them outright and turned them first party.  Anyway you can't compare a developer Nintendo publishes games for to one that Nintendo has nothing to do with.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 09:38:35 AM »
I was talking about them as a company quality.  They were just these people that had the Turok background.  That didn't sound too good.  Now another part of them had Id Software background.  That sounded good.  Right now Nintendo is only concentrating on making sure they have something the mainstream wants if they can't get a company like Rockstar or Sega to make games for them they'll makre sure something similar comes up.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline OptimusPrime

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 09:48:10 AM »
Well actually, Retro started with guys who worked on Turok, Half-Life, Quake and Unreal (and more great games) so, i think they started just fine(RavenBlade!!). They just got a bit too expensive, Nintendo cuts a few things, sends 5 EAD-guys over and badda-boom, Metroid Prime.
"SOMETHING"