Author Topic: SD memory cards and the impact on the Revolution?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline NRevolutionR

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
SD memory cards and the impact on the Revolution?
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:50:05 AM »
I have a few questions regarding SD memory cards on the Revolution.

The first question is, how good of a card will we need if we want to expand the Revolution's memory?
I have found a 1GB San Disk Extreme card for $89.95 and was wondering if that would be the way to go?

Also, where will it be put in?  Will it be in the Gamcube memory card areas on the Rev?

Furthermore,  will the 512 of Rev flash memory be like a computer's RAM, or will it be like I expect and be like a wonderful fast acting mini hard drive?
Quote<BR>    opĀ·tiĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome<BR>    2. Bill Aurion<BR><BR>    Quote<BR>    pes'siĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. A person who expects the worst<BR>    2. Ian Sane

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: SD memory cards and the impact on the Revolution?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 12:04:11 PM »
" Will it be in the Gamcube memory card areas on the Rev?"

It seems so, look at the images of the Rev here in PGC, theres a slot with 4 GCcontroller ports and 2 memory cards. Id link it but Im just lazy , search for the pics in the main page.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
I'm not sure how much space you'll need, but the 512MB is like your computer's harddrive. It's 512 of space, not processing memory.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 12:04:50 PM »
expect it to be like a hard drive, although not neccesarily faster than a normal one.

I'm guessing there will either be an SD card slot or a USB 2.0 adaptor for the SD cards... no word yet as to any restrictions.

Myself, I'm hoping its formatted in an open manner so I can save my ROMs to it and play them on my Sharp Zaurus.

Offline NRevolutionR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:20:43 PM »
Interesting thoughts on the USB 2.0 ports.

What do you others think the USB ports could be used for ?
Quote<BR>    opĀ·tiĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome<BR>    2. Bill Aurion<BR><BR>    Quote<BR>    pes'siĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. A person who expects the worst<BR>    2. Ian Sane

Offline reverend_tod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »
I doubt the SD cards will go in through the USB ports; if they did that then they could just make a proprietary memory card that plugged into the USB.

USB will probalby be for gadgets like cameras, maybe a keyboard and mouse setup, or whatever Nintendo and various third parties dream up.