Author Topic: Game Boy Micro  (Read 28297 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Game Boy Micro
« on: May 17, 2005, 08:24:35 AM »
IGNCube just posted a small amount of info on the new GB:

10:14 am: Reggie shows the Game Boy Micro. Says "I know you haven't seen this. It's a hair bigger and two-thirds the weight of an iPod Mini." It's not new technology, but a new look and has the "best and brightest screen ever in a handheld." Not a successor to DS or GBA, but an extension of portable play. The system can be customized with a wide array of face plates and will hit this fall.
I'm definitely excited about the face plates and the new screen, but is it necessary?  Only slightly larger than an iPod Mini?  That's pretty small too.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
RE:Game Boy Micro
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »
can you still read text? is it a hi-rez mini screen?
does it vibrate?  who said that............

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Game Boy Micro
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:19:20 AM »
If they removed the concavity and lined up the buttons horizontally they could give it an NES controller look.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:29:46 AM »
There is no way they are decreasing the resolution of the screen.  If anything the text will look better because the pixels are smaller.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:39:03 PM »
It's a really, really cool looking system. I could see this turning into the fashion accessory that everyone was saying the psp would be.
And is that real metal?

As for people saying there are two many handhelds on the market, keep in mind it's the games, and not the systems, that are important. It's actually advantageous for Nintendo to offer the ability to play gba games on as many systems as possible. And, actually, I'm hoping revolution will be able to play them right out of the box.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:42:37 PM »
This Needs Play Yan Badly... Hell, id redisign the Playyan.... and BUNDLE it with this system

Boom Instant Hit with your iBoy
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 01:05:49 PM »
Another freaking Gameboy? What the hell? When will it stop?

And yes, I'm probably gonna buy it

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 03:39:52 PM »
I will only let myself buy it if we find out both play yan and the wireless adaptor are built into the system.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 03:45:18 PM »
I didn't like it at first, but I've fallen in love with the thing now ;___;  Definitley getting it at some point.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »
Unless it's fifteen bucks or something, I'm probably not going to get one.  A very cool little thing, definitely, but I don't really need it.  I play GBA games on the Gameboy Player, and if I need it to be portable I have a DS.  Cool, but unnecessary.  Too many incredible games to buy so I cannot afford this
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »
No big deal to me. Maybe I'm missing the piont.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 06:21:42 PM »
I don't plan on buying it, seems kind of a waste of money, as I own an original GBA, GBA SP, and DS...though it is very cool...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:46:06 PM »
It looks fantastic, the Game & Watch of 05! Woo!  

I need a second GBA for Four Swords Adventures anyway. Assuming of course that GBA-GCN cables can connect to this little beauty.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 06:47:25 PM »
I might buy one... but only if:

1. It has all the features of a regular GBA (GB/GBC compatible, link cable for GC connectivity)

2. If its sensibly priced ($50-$60)

I've already got a couple of GBAs, but I never got an SP and it'd be worth that for me to have a backlit GBA with a rechargable battery.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 07:37:55 PM »
According to IGN the GB Micro uses a proprietary ext. port which combines the functions of ext.1 and ext.2 on the GBA SP. Therefore a unique link cable will be required. Bad news indeed if true.

Good news is that standard headphones (eg from CD players) should work.

*Hopes for adaptor for existing link cables packed-in.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 07:56:18 PM »

Originally posted by: blackfootsteps
According to IGN the GB Micro uses a proprietary ext. port which combines the functions of ext.1 and ext.2 on the GBA SP. Therefore a unique link cable will be required. Bad news indeed if true.

No... same cable - special dongle (adapter) plugs into the proprietary ext. port.  Chances are it would be included with the system.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 05:02:37 AM »
So if you need a dongle, does that mean that the wireless adaptor won't work, which in turn means it will be built in?  You would think someone would have mentioned that by now.
---------------------

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 08:02:26 AM »
i was thinking the same, i there were only a movie player... (i'll refrain the 'who uses the play-yan questions for another thread)

basically, add a movie player and you have a vPod =)

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 06:55:15 PM »
I'm buying it.  The system was made just like any other company that makes their system smaller.  Nintendo has done it to all their systems except GBC and VB.  I'm not sure about GCN yet.  As for the SP, I think that was just an improvement over the problems of a GBA such as the lighting which you could of got for $30.

Also the Play-Yan was mainly meant to be used with the DS.  Makes sense to me.  Once the GBA is no more you need a system that will still be around and you got the DS.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline McBacon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 10:10:23 PM »
This is my Metroid Fusion mock-up:

Currently Playing
- Starfox Adventures -

April 2005's Game Purchases
- Starfox Adventures -

Offline McBacon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 06:54:48 AM »
Currently Playing
- Starfox Adventures -

April 2005's Game Purchases
- Starfox Adventures -

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 07:11:02 AM »
Hey, I made this little image cause I wanted to get a better idea of the size.  I think its pretty spot on and I thought I would share it... =P

http://mikegamin.com/temp/gameboys.jpg
---------------------

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
What a tiny screen! No RPGs on that one...

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 11:47:01 AM »
Might not be so bad. The small screen should make it crisper, if nothing else.

Offline InfinitysEnd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 11:51:01 AM »
Here's a better image for consideration exactly how tiny that damn screen is: Gameboy Micro Comparison