Author Topic: First Revolution Picture!  (Read 37667 times)

Offline Karny

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:First Revolution Picture! (Plus new details!)
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2005, 07:31:20 AM »
me too cos I'm at work.. no streaming for me :'(

Offline Kakashixs

• View Profile
RE: First Revolution Picture! (Plus new details!)
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2005, 07:32:44 AM »
So far I'm just getting music on GSC so I assume it hasn't started yet lol.
Sorry I'm late, today I got lost on the road of life.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2005, 07:34:21 AM »
Howsabouts y'all Move to the "Live?" thread so we all don't have to split attention.

Roxors on.
"wow."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2005, 07:37:31 AM »
I like the way the Rev looks.  All of Nintendo's other consoles looked like toys.  This looks like a piece of electronics.  That's GOOD.  That doesn't alienate anyone.  Both kids and adults don't mind electronics but several adults don't like toys.  Though the thing kind of looks like a car radio.

I'm glad it plays DVDs.  I love the idea of downloading old Nintendo games though I hope they do it right.  I want the REAL version of Donkey Kong from the arcade not the crappy NES version they've been rehashing on the GBA and e-Reader.  Still it's a big selling point and they're pretty much killing their ability to port old games for a quick buck to provide us with that service.  If they can get some third parties on board for the download service they could really have something special.

I have concerns about backwards compatibility though.  Can I plug my Cube memory cards into it?  Because if I can't I'll NEVER use the feature.  There's no point if I have to start all of my games over again.  It looks like I can't use my Cube controllers which is kind of a bummer but it's no biggie.

How do I charge the controllers?  Microsoft's method is brilliant.  It has to be because I thought of it years ago.  I want to be able to charge my controllers as I play and I don't want to have to deal with batteries.  I don't like Sony's method at all and I love Microsoft's method.  So I want to know what Nintendo's plan for that is.

Like many of you I'm concerned about the specs.  

"'It's not all about having turbo power,' Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. 'It's about what you do with it.'"

Yeah that sounds like an excuse and I'm pretty tired of Nintendo excuses.  "Quality over quantity" didn't fly with me and neither will this.  The Rev MUST be comparible to the other two consoles powerwise or it's going to have really crappy third party support.  Few would pick the weakest hardware for exclusives unless the weakest hardware was the market leader which this will not be.  And ports would all be terrible.  I'm hoping Nintendo is being overly modest.  Though even if they are THAT'S a stupid strategy in itself.  They downplayed the Cube's hardware and created the impression that the Cube was the weakest hardware.  Why not lie when everyone else is?  Why give idiots fuel to bash your console?

Still I'm only concerned about the unknown.  I'm not totally disappointed which is good.  So far I'm digging most of what Nintendo's offering here.

Offline Karny

• View Profile

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2005, 08:56:43 AM »
that said that design was a prototype and it would be even smaller when they were done with it!!??

where are they gonna put all the electronics?

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2005, 08:59:29 AM »
"where are they gonna put all the electronics? "

Nintendo doesn't need eLeCtrawniks.

-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
Do you think Nintendo seriously underestimated Sony's presentation and didn't have time to come up with more compelling footage of Rev to show, so decided instead to show nothing at all (which would have been a good strategy for MS w/ PD0)?

I definately think that Spaceworld 2005 is a MUST, and they have to blow the lid off of the 360 @ that show and be comparable to PS3 if they want to make a come-back(to the #1 spot) in a big way

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2005, 09:14:48 AM »
They definitely need a platform to show off Revolution, especially if they plan to match Sony's Spring launch. A SpaceWorld would be a very good idea. Ugh, Nintendo was talking so tough... but they're falling through here.

At the same time, I understand that they can't stop promoting GBA/DS/Cube games. They have a full year of sales to promote until then. Talking too much Revolution mixes up the message. But... this was probably too little.
"wow."

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2005, 11:59:06 AM »
Question:  What's that slot that's on the bottom (left side on the pictures of it standing vertically) of the front of the Revolution?  Is there where you load SD cards?  Or could it possibly house up to 4 controller ports?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Unsung Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2005, 12:00:49 PM »
"Our competitors have detailed the power of their core processor and display. But the advantages of our technology will also have no bearing on gameplay. I know, this is one of those mysterious comments," he (Iwata) says. - Source: IGN GameCube

I think this quote, though in somewhat poor English, demonstrates that Nintendo will keep up with the competition in terms of visuals. Iwata notes that the competition has detailed their processor power and related it to display... by saying that Nintendo's technological advantages will have no bearing on gameplay, he must be saying they will benefit Revolution's visuals. Or mayhaps I'm just completely off.

(Edit: Typo)

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2005, 01:36:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I like the way the Rev looks.  All of Nintendo's other consoles looked like toys.  This looks like a piece of electronics.  That's GOOD.  That doesn't alienate anyone.  Both kids and adults don't mind electronics but several adults don't like toys.  Though the thing kind of looks like a car radio.

I'm glad it plays DVDs.  I love the idea of downloading old Nintendo games though I hope they do it right.  I want the REAL version of Donkey Kong from the arcade not the crappy NES version they've been rehashing on the GBA and e-Reader.  Still it's a big selling point and they're pretty much killing their ability to port old games for a quick buck to provide us with that service.  If they can get some third parties on board for the download service they could really have something special.

I have concerns about backwards compatibility though.  Can I plug my Cube memory cards into it?  Because if I can't I'll NEVER use the feature.  There's no point if I have to start all of my games over again.  It looks like I can't use my Cube controllers which is kind of a bummer but it's no biggie.

How do I charge the controllers?  Microsoft's method is brilliant.  It has to be because I thought of it years ago.  I want to be able to charge my controllers as I play and I don't want to have to deal with batteries.  I don't like Sony's method at all and I love Microsoft's method.  So I want to know what Nintendo's plan for that is.

Like many of you I'm concerned about the specs.  

"'It's not all about having turbo power,' Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan told USA Today. 'It's about what you do with it.'"

Yeah that sounds like an excuse and I'm pretty tired of Nintendo excuses.  "Quality over quantity" didn't fly with me and neither will this.  The Rev MUST be comparible to the other two consoles powerwise or it's going to have really crappy third party support.  Few would pick the weakest hardware for exclusives unless the weakest hardware was the market leader which this will not be.  And ports would all be terrible.  I'm hoping Nintendo is being overly modest.  Though even if they are THAT'S a stupid strategy in itself.  They downplayed the Cube's hardware and created the impression that the Cube was the weakest hardware.  Why not lie when everyone else is?  Why give idiots fuel to bash your console?

Still I'm only concerned about the unknown.  I'm not totally disappointed which is good.  So far I'm digging most of what Nintendo's offering here.

Well Ian, the Revolution has hideaway GC controller ports and memory card slots. As for the hardware power I'm not worried. Nintendo always gives specs with all effects at 60fps at the highest resolutions. So basically in HD mode with all effects the Revolution would be pushing out 24 to 36 million polygons. Thats just going by Nintendo's GC specsh. We all no that Rogue Squadron 2 pushed 13.2 million polygons and RS3 pushed over 20 million. So everyone think about that.  Going by what Factor 5 pulled out of GC, that could be anywhere from 26.4 million to as high as 80 million. So I'm not worried. If the rumored specs are true the Rev will be ahead of 360 and possibly even PS3.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2005, 03:55:24 PM »
The weird thing about GC's specs is Nintendo didn't hype them.  
They released them the hardware figures and the people who knew how
to read them could see the GC was 2x powerful as the PS2.

Well then Nintendo watered down the specs to merely 1.5 more powerful...
(At least in the T&L department...)

Though the 2x3 spec does worry me a little.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »
I think Nintendo did exactly what they should have done.  Show enough info to attract some attension, but keep your trump card hidden.  I like the console design, its more inline with their competitors.  I was floored by the idea of being able to download all the old games, this is huge for Nintendo.  I am really starting to think WiFi is gonna be a huge focus, which sounds good to me.  As for Revolution being 2-3 times more powerful than Gamecube, thats probably true, Sony and MS are just full of BS.  I think the mention of 512MB of ram enforses the idea that Revolution will be on par with the competitors.  I really think its gonna come down to software, Nintendo needs a killer lineup for launch, and the fact that they plan to have Super Smash Brothers ready, WiFi equiped, shows alot of promise.  Here's hoping Wave Race makes the lineup.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2005, 05:59:40 PM »
Gamecube ports found

Oh, and everyone please shut up about the "2-3x more powerful" bit...Back when polygon counts were talked about by Sony and Ninty before this gen, the PS2 "polygon count" was like FOUR TIMES what Ninty said the GC could do...Nintendo is modest, MS and Sony aren't...GOT IT?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2005, 09:45:08 PM »
I hope Nintendo releases one standard controller.  It doesn't simplify anything to have to keep up with a set of Cube controllers and a set of touch screens, or bongos, or gyros, or what ever silly thing they must have come up with that can't play traditional games.  Why can't they make a revolutionary controller that can play standard games too.  The Cube controller can't compete with the number of functions available on the X360 and PS3 controllers.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2005, 09:57:36 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
 The Cube controller can't compete with the number of functions available on the X360 and PS3 controllers.

? are you referring to the duel shock and controler type s that have been put in new shells?  I for one see nothing different between the dual shock 2 and the boomerang and the controler type s and the dreamcast carbon copy.

"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Obiyo

• The revolution is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15:50 PM »
the cube controller is not that great for some genres(fighters mainly).

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2005, 10:29:58 PM »
true, but its not completely void of functions.  Some genres might be an inconvenience but they are still playable.  
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2005, 10:41:39 PM »
It's the most comfortable for me, which is all that matters.

Offline Obiyo

• The revolution is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2005, 10:42:52 PM »
I agree that it's the most ergonomic, but the button layout could be better.

Offline PugGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2005, 11:11:16 PM »
The GC controller needs a bit of a change at least (maybe a symmetrical and less annoying z button).
However I think the new controller will be vastly different
Reggie is a sad, mentally challenged man...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2005, 09:50:27 AM »
Does anyone else think it's going to be hard to squeeze four wavebird receptors into the side of the Revolution?  It looks like a tight fit.

Does anyone know if the cover for the GameCube side flips all the way up?  If not, it will be impossible to use a wavebird receptor without breaking it off.

Unless, of course, the wavebird could connect wirelessly to the Revolution (with the need for the receptor).  Which would just be sweet as hell.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2005, 10:19:38 AM »
Kingvudu I wouldn't worry about that, I'm sure they'll fil.

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2005, 11:29:04 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Gamecube ports found

Oh, and everyone please shut up about the "2-3x more powerful" bit...Back when polygon counts were talked about by Sony and Ninty before this gen, the PS2 "polygon count" was like FOUR TIMES what Ninty said the GC could do...Nintendo is modest, MS and Sony aren't...GOT IT?

Speak softly but carry a big stick.
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.