Author Topic: Capcom should have put more effort into RE:0  (Read 5986 times)

Offline GanonSlayer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Capcom should have put more effort into RE:0
« on: February 17, 2003, 02:05:55 PM »
Is it just me or did Resident Evil 0 seem boring, uninspired and the same RE formula used over again? Basically all they added was the ability to drop items. Just look at Resident Evil. It brought new things to the table like the defense weapons such as grenades, stun guns and the frightening Crimson heads which adds a whole new level of gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Resident Evil 0 but Capcom needs to bring something fresh to the table. Using the same mechanics as the other games had and almost identical puzzles, I found the only reason I was playing this was to uncover the first game's secrets. I am confident Capcom will bring plenty of new things such as the dropping of pre-rendered backgrounds to Resident Evil 4. Who is with me?

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 02:25:15 PM »
Personally, I liked it better than all the previous Resident Evil games.  The partner switching made the puzzles a lot more interesting (although some of them were rehashes like the voltage one for example) in spots, and the new graphics really did make the series for me.  I wasn't even interested in it all that much until it came out on GC because the graphics always looked silly to me and that coupled with people griping about the controls kind of kept me away from it, but a rental was all it took and I'm now a huge fan of the series.

Granted, the basic gameplay is still the same, but it's a super polished title for what it is and I can't really find a single negative about it when you really get down to business.  Billy is way more interesting than Leon, Claire, or any of the previous protagonists too.

I love the title, but to each his own I suppose.

Offline GanonSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 02:31:48 PM »
Yeah, I said I enjoyed it but I have beaten every Resident Evil made (except the Gun Survivor games) and the formula got old for me I guess. Would anyone else care to voice their thoughts on the game?

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »
I know resident evil is a little rehashed and what not (based on other people's comments),  but the Resident evil remake was my first resident evil game and it literally scared me.

I don't know but that was my first scary game and i wanna get the s**t scared out of me again.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline Boogieya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 05:51:53 PM »

I think the series is getting repetitive.  I've played 1 for PSX, Director's Cut for PSX, 2 for PSX, 1 and 0 for GC.  Never played any Code Veronica, or 3 : Nemesis,  but if Zero is any indication I'm sure it's the same old thing.  And I'm a huge fan, bought the superbit edition of the movie (which wasn't that great either) and everything.   Sure the 2 char co-operation and switching is interesting, but the environs seem the same. I just started disc 2 of Zero, though, can't beat the bat yet.  It might get a lot better now on or something....

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 06:39:47 PM »
Thge only thing I disliked of RE 0 was the lack of replay value. In fact, that's something I've noticed it has went down since Capcom decided to develop the series on GC. Some previous RE games on the Psx had far more replay value than the GC remake and Zero, specially RE 2 and 3, heck in both of them you could unlock extras by completing the game without using health sprays or ink ribbons, and there were so many suits to unlock. I hope RE4 has tons of replay value.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 06:55:53 PM »
they have those same things in remake and in re0.......i loved both but then again it was my 1st time playing the series.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 06:57:05 PM »
That's very true, like RE2, you had to play 6 times on normal to unlock Tofu.  Then RE3 had to be beaten 8 times to unlock every costume.  But for some reason if I had to beat RE0 8 times to unlock all costumes, I wouldn't, that's what the problem is.  RE2, and RE3, especially 2, were fun to beat for the hell of it, even after I got everything.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 08:45:12 PM »
well maybe its because the series hasnt changed in a while....who knows. cuz i find them very fun to beat. i beat remake like 4 times and i am working on my 5th. and i beat re0 only once. i am on my second way through, but i am playing so many other games that i havent gotten around to finishing it.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2003, 11:14:21 PM »
Personally I thought that Resident Evil 0 was the greatest of the series up to Code Veronica.  (I haven't played Code Veronica yet)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2003, 11:40:20 PM »
Haven't played RE 0 yet, 10 days until its out! (Australia)
I've played Re 2 and 3 on PS but never finished them.
I borrowed RE1 on GCN and finished it, was fun and got me interested in the games story and all.
If only RE 2 and 3 were remakes and not ports...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2003, 12:47:50 AM »
If RE2 and RE4 were remade, that would be awesome, but that would also take too much time. Let Capcom concentrate on RE4!

I just bought REmake but havent played it(hasnt arrived), never played RESI in my life, but im very excited about playing the game.
LZ 2005

Offline Biohazard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2003, 05:27:38 AM »
Hey die hard RE fan here.

And let me just say this....Resident Evil 0 sucked ass story wise.  I think this is the worst RE ever, I mean another mansion...people get tired of this crap.  And Herm, I would appriciate it RE2 and 3 were made instead of a new mediocre title...hopefull this one will be much better.  RE0 just...meh for me...so much potential in that game.  Such as they could have told you what really happened to Rebecca.   Do a little RE2-3 and let you go through the Spencer estate and then after words I could see Rebecca escaping or dying from Raccoon.  But nope a mediocre title ending and everything, hell the gameplay was good but then it got into the Supernatural with Marcus...uh no sorry die RE0.
Johnathon Fauker
----------------------
PlanetGamecube's Resident Evil Freak.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2003, 06:07:45 AM »
see biohazard i cant judge that because i havent played any Resident Evils ever and im just about to get REmake
i think if RE0 was really that dissapointing they should have remade RE2 and 3, but not in favour of RE4 which supposebly promises the freshness and innovation needed
LZ 2005

Offline WhoDey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 06:29:08 AM »
I own both of the GC games (Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0). I've played through the first one 2 or 3 times and this was my first real experience with the franchise. I thought it was great and loved the atmosphere. The whole mansion just had a spooky personality to it.

I'm playing through RE0 right now and am estimating I'm probably a third of the way through it. So far, it just isn't doing it for me like the first one did. The "scares" just aren't there, atleast not yet. The mansion in this one just doesn't have the same feeling as the first one. I'm hoping it gets better but so far I'd prefer the first one.