Author Topic: Mario Kart DS: ONLINE  (Read 22286 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart DS: ONLINE
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2005, 06:48:18 AM »

Originally posted by: RABicle

Oh come on Bill. The n64 had appalling battle arenas. Block fort was so big that it'll take 10 minutes just to find your opponent, that donut one was flat out stupid. And did the squares with openings of the Super nintendo really inspire you?

Block Fort is awesome, you just suck...  (And yes, SNES arenas 2 (Ocean) and 4 (Parking Lot) were absolutely fantastic...Both were structured so red shells were not the sole means of winning the battle...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart DS: ONLINE
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2005, 08:05:50 AM »
Block fort -is- awesome.

I concur with Bill on all points, Rab. =P

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2005, 09:31:49 AM »
Bill: SMK battlemode sucked because the only map that wasn't a set of concentric rings was the beach map.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
That's a stupid reason for thinking it's sucks...The point is that it actually balanced the battle and wasn't based on how lucky you are to get a red shell first...

Offline Grant10k

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2005, 06:00:27 PM »
"Bill: SMK battlemode sucked because the only map that wasn't a set of concentric rings was the beach map."
The beach map is designed to piss off whoever didn't find the feather.  
 Without data, you're just another schmuck with an opinion.
     -Chris Anderson, TEC speaker

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2005, 07:56:33 PM »
". 30 is not more than 30. Moron."

Oh really? Wow, I actually learned something today.

VS mode is good enough; Grand Prix is basically the same w/ points and more players. You can still keep track of the number of overall 1st/2nd/3rd/4th place finishes, so I don't mind.

And, again, Luigi's Mansion Shine Thief with equally talented players in DD is an experience unmatched by any other previous MK Battles in my time playing MK. It was balanced perfectly, to the point that we had several steals during the last 5 or 10 seconds, and it was always close. The other courses on the GCN version left a little to be desired, but so did some of the 64 ones. And I loved the SNES Battle Mode.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2005, 01:32:08 PM »
Too bad I'm never online on the weekends.  Engaging argument a day too late:

I thought the Block Fort was awesome.  All you need to do is look at the map to find other players, it shouldn't take you more than a minute to get at them.  Overall I felt MK64's track selection was slightly superior, but the thing that really gets me about Double Dash's battle mode is that after six years, it barely improved.  Mario Kart 64 had the luxury of being a pioneering multiplayer game, without much to be compared to.  The bar has been raised.  I look at a game like Timesplitters 2, and Double Dash just looks sad next to it.  I realize Mario Kart is not about having 100 playable characters, track editors, and a million options, but six arenas is a slap in the face...it seems like they put almost no effort into them.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2005, 05:35:53 PM »
http://ds.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=2290

Don't know if that links been posted anywhere here, but it basically says that nintendo will be releasing their own router. The big part of that news, however, is that it would be a USB router, if its true.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2005, 09:32:10 PM »
I think this has been reported everywhere by now.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2005, 11:50:23 AM »
Played this game at SDComic-Con.

Very smooth, although I have never played the SNES original and am less intuitive with the dpad. Nevertheless, I was pulling off slides off tiny jumps and initiating red sparks.
Saw the options for "Nitro Cup" and "Retro Cup", BTW...didnt count the available number and I doubt all the tracks were in there anyway.

So far, I thought the game didnt seem anything special or out of the ordinary...just another Mario Kart game...
Yep, just another Mario Kart, which means I will be buying it immediately come release =p

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2005, 08:13:54 PM »
Oh yes, I don't know where but I read that in this iteration, the red shells would circle the player twice before hitting them, and it is easier to block them. I don't know about this; I liked how in Double Dash you had to react quickly, and if you didn't then it would hit you even if you have an item. Now in the DS version, first you can see it is coming from the bottom screen, then it circles you. So if you have an item it seems really easy to block it. Of course, we'll see when the game comes.

And the classic tracks will be in exactly the same condition as they were before, but the DS player models race in them. I hadn't heard this before - nice.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2005, 09:13:57 AM »
I just hope I can drag a shell or banana peel behind my kart to ward off projectiles.  I really missed that feature in DD.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2005, 09:22:29 AM »
Well the reason it was taken out was so there would be more balance...Now there's more of a skill/timing factor to dropping items behind you to fend off attack...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2005, 01:26:05 PM »
New details!

"...one item added to the Nintendo DS version is the squid character from Super Mario Sunshine. [Gooper Blooper]. Because it’s a squid, it can spit out ink and if you are the victim you cannot see the upper screen because it’s painted with ink for a certain amount of time. But because it’s a dual screen, on the lower screen you have the map so you know where you are and where others are..."

Personally, I think this is yet another awesome use of the dual screen...  

Also:
~ 16 courses from old games, 16 new courses, making a whopping 32 courses in the game!
~ CPU bots for both VS AND Battle Mode!

You can find a little more info at Nintendo Europe

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2005, 05:17:07 PM »
Best game ever? I never cared much for battle mode, except Shine Theif and the bomb one in MKDD, but bots in VS mode is something i've always wanted. I guess they've replaced Mario Kart Super Circuits "Quick Race" with that.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2005, 06:30:39 AM »
Best game ever!  Battle mode has always been a favorite with me, especially with Double Dash, the awesome Bomb Battle and Shine Theif modes more than make up for the lackluster arenas.  I'm a bit sad that battle mode will not be onrine, but that's why they added bots =D
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
I got to play this at PAX as well.  Sadly only one DS had it so there was no multiplayer happening.  Most of you probably know about most of these impressions, but I will put them up anyway.

Hopping is back! WOOOOO!

Flying blue spike shell is back... BOOOOOO!

Circling red/green shells are back! WOOOOOOO!

Dragging bananas, etc. is back! WOOOOOOOOO!

Well anyway.  I had a lot of fun playing and I took a video of the guy before me.  I will post all my pics and stuff this weekend.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2005, 10:11:20 AM »
How many days left for release? I think it comes out in October...but I cannot remember...
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2005, 12:13:39 PM »
53 more days until it ships.  Between 54 and 57 days until you can play it, depending on where you live.  It ships November 14.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2005, 03:32:14 AM »

I believed it was in October.

I'm a sad, sad man.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »
So...um...what do you guys think of the box art? Welcome to the suck indeed.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2005, 09:21:43 AM »
It's not the best, but I really dig the new logo...It's simple and streamlined, and that's not a problem for me...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2005, 09:24:26 AM »
Is Mario jumping into the kart or out of it? And how come his legs are split backwards over it? Is he going to spin them around like a windmill before he lands in his seat?

Regardless, a nice plain logo. Mario Kart doesn't need advertising, it just needs to stand out, so that'll do nicely.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2005, 11:29:56 AM »
Is that really the final art? I kind of assumed it was a mock-up when I first saw it.

It's okay, I guess, but just Mario and his kart on a white background? Without even a hint that the kart is moving? hum.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
Mario jumping onto a moving kart would be a little odd, no?