Author Topic: Sony to show PS3 @ E3  (Read 34504 times)

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE: Sony to show PS3 @ E3
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
ah, yes. Resident evil probably featured the best humans out of any console game, ever. I think it's because the game didn't really require them to emote. That, and their eyes were really good. It's all in the eyes.  And drawing attention away from the face with hair. And the skin, like you said.
Anyway....

I completley agree with you, artimus... there haven't been any next-gen games announced thus far that I personally interesting. I'm actually really surprised, but Nintendo seems to have been dead-on accurate. Graphics have improved, but gameplay has become almost completley stagnant. I mean, the possibilities of unlimited stuff on-screen, online play, and ultra-realism do excite me.....but I want more.  I want games that are artisitc and creative and simulate things in life other than fighting.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Sony to show PS3 @ E3
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2005, 05:52:22 PM »
This thing is going to cost too much.  And the controller has no advancements.  Nintendo can still own this show with their controller alone.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2005, 05:53:10 PM »
$200 is the most i'll pay for a console.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2005, 05:54:21 PM »
It is all in the eyes. The Tekken guy has this glazed over expression!

The graphics do look lovely though, except for the body hair on the boxers in Fight Night, which doesn't seem to have received the same level of attention as the sweat shower. Granted it's not very important.    
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »
Ok.  If you are not impressed with the PS3s showing, I call BS.  I watched the video and the animation was great, and the games were realistic, but still felt somewhat surreal and that made it work.  

I felt that the PS3 just completely outshined Xbox in showing...though I haven't seen much on their press conference yet.  The controller looks stupid, but the system looks nice.  Much better than X-box's new unit.

The games and company support was also quite amazing to see.  Very smart of Sony to ask key developers to design the tech demos and such.  

Grand Theft Auto as a launch game is brilliant and will sell millions in America.  Much better than Perfect Dark 0, and I don't care if Halo 3 launchs same day.  Grand Theft Auto is bigger.

Lucky for me.  I hate those types of games, and I am much more interested in fantasy can cartoon worlds than realistic.

So Tommorrow Nintendo is going to blow me away.  

I just hope they show the controller.  I want to see what this new system is capable of.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2005, 06:01:39 PM »
The more realistic graphics get, the more we're all going to notice tiny little details that throw the whole thing off.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2005, 06:10:39 PM »
Paladin is correct.  Even you had a perfect photo realistic model, the animation wouldn't look right.  There are too many imperfections in human movement and in life that animators just can't get.  

If you do for surrealism or abstract the characters in someway then your mind doesn't catch this error as much.  

Also the more realistic the games get the less you will identify and bond with the character.

Master Chief from Halo is the worst character design I have ever seen.  I have no feelings for that guy at all.  If I could kill myself when I played I would because I could care less.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2005, 06:16:56 PM »
yep. Though, somehow, I was kind of thinking that this upcomming generation would look so good that tiny details would actually become less noticeable. I hate current-generation graphics....I think because they're quasy-photo-realistic, except with a horrible texture here, a jagged edge there, clipping over there, and robotic movement all over the place. Whereas with this new generation I thought playing games would kind of be like watching a pixar movie. I don't know, though. In order for that to happen I guess developers need to learn to create more stylized graphics. Actually, I think 360 games seem to be better in this regard.    
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2005, 06:19:58 PM »
THAT'S that controller?  Looks completely unusable.  It's like Sony heard all the complaints about the Dualshock being non-ergonomic and said "Oh yeah!  You ain't seen NOTHING yet!"  I guess ergonomics are a Nintendo thing so they have to do the exact opposite.

"That's even worse than the PS2 launch lineup"

I don't recall the PS2 launch lineup having Metal Gear Solid or Devil May Cry.  I'm not blown away but that lineup looks very solid.  It's lightyears better than the PS2 launch.

The graphics look a whole lot better than the Xbox 360 stuff we've seen so far.  But it's all more of the same.  So far I'm just very bored with this next generation.  There's nothing that really grabs me by the balls like in previous generations.  Hopefully Nintendo will deliver.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »
I'm pretty psycked for Geist and Killer 7 and Zelda and I still gotta buy Pikmin2 =D

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2005, 06:29:36 PM »
I don't know if you guys watched the conference stream (start somwhere around the 45 minute mark)
but the Getaway demo was ....... well I thought it was a video of london until he pointed out the liscense plate problem(I know its not high quality video).

gonna go back to watching the conference now (1 hr 50 min long, but I'm just skimming through)

edit:  GT5 is gonna look F#$%# amazing!!!!!!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2005, 06:37:59 PM »
Watch the Killzone part if you're looking to be impressed. Some of the tech demos are pretty cool too.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »
Is it just me...or is the PS3 kinda...bland.

Like they were trying a tad too hard to be sleek and sexy.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
That's every Sony device. The PSP is pretty good by their standards.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2005, 07:13:07 PM »
Well I just finished the whole conference. Snore fest for the first half, but I expected as much. The various accents of the speakers also made it hard on the ears too.

The games look fantastic. Unlike the MTV 360 showing, these games actually look next-gen worthy. I too also noticed that the genres were severely lacking. I didn't pay it much mind during the sequelitis demo reel, but when they showed off the new properties that threw up the red flags. There wasn't much innovation to be had, and "original" stuff was just kinda stupid (thinking of that game with the chick who uses as sword, has ninja fighting skills and weilds some sort of bazooka???). Killzone looked AMAZING. That's the one game out of them all that actually looked really fun to play. The others seemed like novel concepts to show off the system's power, but nothing that exudes 'fun'. Gran Turismo and that F1 game looked good also, but I'm not interested in racing sims so I don't have a comment on that.

Learning that it will be backwards compatible going back to PS1 leaves me feeling good since I never bought either PS1 or 2, and might spring for the 3 just to catch up on some old gems.

The hardware reminded me of my old printer/scanner/copier I had 9 years ago, only about 4x smaller. it's almost the exact same shape. That's a little offputting in my mind, but that aside I don't like it. Looks even more bland than the 360. But somehow that seems to fit Sony's streak of bland looking systems, so it's not that big a deal. The controller looks weak. I won't comment on the comfort, since we all know that the most uncomfortable looking controller might be quite the opposite. But the button layout looks pretty bad. I'd need to see a hands on demo to judge properly.

I think Microsoft has reason to be worried here. I'm not too worried that they can't match this graphically, but I get the impression that their system is incredibly rushed now. Halo 3 better be the super supreme ultimate combo of 2006 or else the DC parallels might come true. Nintendo though, the ball is in their court now. Sony had a good showing, but some real innovation should be able to top it. One fear I have is that Nintendo's demo reel most likely will consist of their star franchises, which are all cartoony or fantasy like in nature. Not exactly the best ways to show off how the hardware handles photorealism. Not that it matters to me (or to you all), but it might be a knock against what the Rev is capable of if it can't or won't showcase anything with photorealistic graphics. I hope a new franchise or some third party software comes around to help this out. Other than that, Ninty is in a real good position to top this if the SECRET is really revolutionary.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »
Man the PS3 looks damn fugly...........kinda looks like those old sandwich presses.

Although i was quite impressed by the game line-up
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2005, 07:30:12 PM »
Heavenly Sword

PS3
More

and if the Motor Storm game is what actual game play looks like....

Holy $#!7 !!!  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2005, 07:57:22 PM »
I guess it's a requirement for next-gen games to have 1000s of characters on screen.  Now I'm thinking, what's there for me to do with them other then kill them?  Is each one an online persona?  I'm not going online for this sort of thing.  Am I going online at all?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
Having seen the stream I'm very impressed with the PS3 technically. But I cannot believe you can have a two hour system unveiling and not ONCE mention the controller. I've been wary of Nintendo's insistance on revolutionizing gameplay, but neither Sony nor Microsoft even showed their controllers up close! It's absolutely absurd that in four hours of unveiling neither controller was mentioned. There was like an hour on graphics and sound between the two, and not a single mention of control. I think that right there sold me on the Revolution. I like an FPS or war game, I like sports games and I like RPGs, but I don't want a system entirely full of them doing nothing new except looking pretty. I don't know how many times I heard 'immerse the player' or some form of that idea, but they didn't even mention the very thing we'll be touching!?

An industry that thinks like that has passed me by. I love pretty graphics, I love crisp displays, I love technology and gadgets, but by god I want to PLAY the games, not watch them!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2005, 08:28:59 PM »
I find it interesting that everyone's totally wowed by Killzone.  Have you forgotten what the first game was like?

Seriously though as pretty as Killzone looks it's not like the series carries a long tradition of excellence or anything.  It will probably look very nice and be okay but I doubt it's going to be a major killer app or anything.

Though I will admit that Killzone had AWESOME commercials.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2005, 08:30:54 PM »
LOL

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2005, 08:39:25 PM »
I like how the labels on the food inside the PS3 is reversed.  Could use a little more attention to detail there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »
Motor Storm

Oh Yeah!!

I want to play this game!!!!

Offline MaxXUnlimited

• View Profile

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2005, 10:13:32 PM »
Motor Storm looks REALLY GOOD technically (especially in the trailer), but i'm not convinced the game will be any fun to play, or look that good while you're playing it.

That F1 game is the game i'm interested in most, it looks INCREDIBLE in the trailer, I just hope they match that with the gameplay. I woudln't buy a PS3 just for that though.

The most intriging thing I thought was the Eye Toy / Cup in Water demonstation, that blew me away, I really want to try that.

Killzone also looks REALLY GOOD, but it's still just Kill Zone.