Author Topic: SSBM, Why no sequel?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline AennilQ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
SSBM, Why no sequel?
« on: March 25, 2005, 11:04:46 AM »
Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt Super Smash Bros. Melee the best selling GCN title ever? When I bought a Gamecube, all my friends told me to get it. Why hasnt Nintendo announced a sequel? Am I missing something?
Yeh its me. Dont get all excited.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: SSBM, Why no sequel?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:21:01 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

A sequel reallly isn't needed.  SSBM is nearly perfect in every way shape and form.  You can't really improve upon it without radically changing some aspects.  

When Rev comes out, I'll start looking forward to a sequel...but as of now...I don't see a need, or a want, for one.

That being said, I'd probably still buy it if they did release it.  I am such a consumer whore.
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:32:02 AM »
There's a 95% chance it'll be a Revolution launch title, so just be patient...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
RE:SSBM, Why no sequel?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:41:26 AM »
Wasnt there a "shakeup" at Hal Laboratories? i dont know... Anyways Id gladly wait, but i also dont understand why Nintendo needs to flood us with Mario Parties..
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 01:43:28 PM »
Cuz Hudson can churn 'em out.

SSB requires much more delicate attention.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:03:54 PM »

SSBM, Why no sequel?

Because their next home console isn't out yet.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:19:17 PM »
It's more likely will see it on the DS, rather than a gamecube release. They already have an abundance of high quality titles releasing this year, so how much more do you want?
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 05:09:18 PM »
Oh that whole "They are slowly developing the next SSB game to make sure it is high quality" line is such a load! I would bet doll hairs to do nots that NO title beats out Zelda concerning the amount of attention to detail it gets during production. And we are getting two Zelda's, again, this gen and only one SSB game, again, like last gen.

SSBM is THE best selling game for the cube. The fact that Nintendo has ignored the option of a sequel THIS gen is absurd and a big ass mistake.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 05:12:44 PM »
It's brilliant. Why? They can sell it better next time. Releasing it now will sell the game, but not a lot of systems. It's a lost cause in a way. Kind of like Zelda...

But mainly, SSBM remains a high seller.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 05:27:18 PM »
Nintendo makes money off of game sales. Not hardware and fanboy best wishes. For Nintendo to have adequate funds to properly promote the Rev (Which they won't anyway) they need to continue to release high quality software. And excuse me for being greedy but I have bought TWO GCNs damn it. Nintendo owe me! heh. I and all of you deserve as many quality titles for every system we buy as possible. Nintendo stealing away a franchise to keep it fresh instead of having to come with a new idea eventually really sucks. It's not something I'd accuse Nintendo of doing often though. Metroid and Zelda are proof enough that Nintendo, most often, give us as much as we deserve.

This is not the case however, with SSBM.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 05:49:59 PM »
I want a TRUE sequel and not a basic upgrade, thanks...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 06:12:56 PM »

SSBM is THE best selling game for the cube. The fact that Nintendo has ignored the option of a sequel THIS gen is absurd and a big ass mistake.

No. You're a big ass mistake. Super Smash Bros remains as popular as it is thanks to a version not being released every year. Nintendo is smarter than you.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:37:53 PM »
SSBM does not need a sequel right now.  As strong as this game is it better not see another one until the next gen.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »
Rancid: You sound like one of those goddamn shareholders. If Nintendo was convinced they'd make more money with more sequels we'd see SSBM 2005, SSBM 2006, etc. There just aren't enough ideas to warrant a sequel. It's a wise decision. The longer they wait until they make the sequel the more ideas they can aggregate and instead of releasing three games hat get panned for being too uncreative each, they release one game that gets lauded for improving the formula greatly.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 08:45:59 PM »
>Nintendo makes money off of game sales. Not hardware and fanboy best wishes

However, the more hardware sold, the more software Nintendo will sell.  And the more third parties that will jump on board (and give Nintendo royalties).  If Nintendo were happy with the money they can make off of game sales alone, they'd just go 3rd party.  But the fact remains that Nintendo likes their Hardware sales and what their hardware sales translate into down the road.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 12:50:16 AM »
Alright let's all put on our "happy Hats" mkay? Seriously I intend on defending my point but by no means do I want to start a flame war here. As I sense a bit of hostility in the air (or maybe I just farted) let's all promise to be civil. Mkay? Mkay.

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
If Nintendo was convinced they'd make more money with more sequels we'd see SSBM 2005, SSBM 2006, etc.

I know that you probably didn't mean that exactly the way you said it but I must respond anyway.

There is NO convincing need be done. Nintendo would make profit on sequels to SSBM FOR SURE. There is NO WAY in hell that they wouldn't. As was mentioned earlier, it's the best selling GCN game. Surely you aren't insisting that SSBM sequels would be anything less than steller sellers regardless if they were released last year, the year before, this year AND next year. They would ALL sell. And for God's sake please don't tell me that Nintendo are smarter than to flood the market with a bunch of sequels at once. It's called WarioWare. Heard of it lately?

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
There just aren't enough ideas to warrant a sequel.

This is not exactly an epic adventure/rpg/rts game we're talking about. Hell the the ability to just pick up and play is one of SSB's more endearing qualities isn't it? I mean to get good takes time and the game has plenty of replay value but it's STILL just a fighting game. So I pose the question...How many ideas do Nintendo need to come up with to get this bird flying? As I said earlier, a Zelda game takes much more thought and time to make and we're getting another one of those aren't we?

Originally posted by: Mario
No. You're a big ass mistake

What in the blue hell does THAT mean? "You're a big ass mistake" , if you're implying that my parents didn't plan me you'd be damn right though. I always said that my parents got married as my first birthday present.

...you're a big ass mistake...?

Originally posted by: UncleBob
However, the more hardware sold, the more software Nintendo will sell

That's right UncleBob, and to properly promote and pay for development of software for said hardware  Nintendo will need the $$$ that a game like oh, say....SSBM2 would bring in. And don't anyone start about the "warchest". As I hear Microsoft has at least a few dollars put away for a rainy day. You know, to spend on some shoes or a new toothbrush or maybe squashing the greatest video game company in the history of this industry into the ground under the weight of it's mighty fist. You know something like that.

I don't want to get into a shouting match here. IMO<----------------------see? Nintendo have dropped the ball on this one. I know that you have to take into account Nintendo's pre-planned business strategy as far as development goes and maybe they NEVER thought SSBM selling this well would happen. The fact is though, they've had plenty of time to get this game in develpment and released by now. The demand is there, the $$ is there, about two million or so SSBM fans are waiting as well. This is not a hard decision.

I'm about as big a Nintendo fanboy as you'll ever see. I work at my own fansite and everything...heh. I bleed...well, whatever color Nintendo is, I bleed THAT color. But you have to be willing to pull the shutters down once in a while and take a good hard look at Nintendo. Not just the good stuff either, lest we find ourselves trolling on a XBOX fan forum one day screaming "NERNTINDO IS TEH ROK!!1one I:LL SMASH YER XBRICK IF I CAN LIFFT IT FER IT IZ TEH HEAVEE!!!!!112"  

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 04:10:24 AM »
I'm getting Jump Superstars on the DS.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 05:02:44 AM »
Rancid: It's still not a very wise decision to make a new game when you don't have enough new material since that might dilute the brand. In other words, at some point the SSBM fans would get pissed off because Nintendo is trying to sell minor upgrades at full price. Throwing in random stuff isn't as easy as it may seem, balancing is a fragile thing and one badly thought out addition can completely ruin it.

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 05:44:28 PM »
The Mario Party brand is pretty damned diluted and they crank those suckers out like what, once a month?

Anyhow, if Nintendo wanted to make a SSB sequel on the GCN, they missed the boat in my opinion. It's too late for this generation. Like Bill said, chances are we'll get one in the Revolution's launch window. If hell froze over and they released one tomorrow, that would take a chunk out of the next gen versions sales and vice versa. The thing is, it'd be smarter for them to bide their time, make the fans a bit hungrier, and release a revolutionary SSB...

Now what they COULD do is make a DS version (as mentioned earlier). That'd help in the competition against the PSP and give us DS owners a bit more to look forward too... throw in some online play and connectivity features with the Rev version and you got yourself a sweet little package.
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 06:42:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Rancid Planet
I know that you have to take into account Nintendo's pre-planned business strategy as far as development goes and maybe they NEVER thought SSBM selling this well would happen. The fact is though, they've had plenty of time to get this game in develpment and released by now. The demand is there, the $$ is there, about two million or so SSBM fans are waiting as well. This is not a hard decision.

You bring up some good points. However, I believe that it should definitely be on the Rev. Even if you had asked me two years ago whether I would want a Gamecube SSBM sequel, I would have said no. It will be a system seller on the Rev, ands that's what we need. I also wouldn't want a GCN sequel because, I mean, how much more can they do do make the Smash Bros franchise on the gamecube evolutionary? And it would lose it's mystique & novelty, and eventually would just be too overexposed

And Nintendo definitely expected SSBM to sell well. I mean, it sold 5mil on the N64. I think that when they released it on the 64, they didn't expect the response at all - but on the Gamecube it had really high expectations. Also, there are more than 2 mil SSBM fans, and if you're referring to the sales, I think it's more than 5 million worldwide
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Rancid Planet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 08:06:02 PM »
IceCold, KDR_11k you just reminded me why I like visiting these forums so much, thank you.

Anywhere else I would have been called everything but a Nintendo loyalist for what I said, but you guys just responded back with your very valid opinions in kind and didn't go nucular* on me. I love having heated conversation but hate flame wars, mature posting is rare these days.

Pats on the back and manly handshakes all around!

*New revised spelling from the offical Webster's DUBYA version II American English Dictionary