Author Topic: Zelda Four Swords MMORPG  (Read 11638 times)

Offline PJ gamer10

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda Four Swords MMORPG
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »
Hey I was talking with a friend about any new types of games that can be done on REV. He brought up a concept of an MMORPG using the Zelda universe. specificly making one like Four Swords. Just as a brain storm we thought people would travel around in groups of Four and would have the entire world of Hyrule to travel in.  With the online abilities that we know of right now, is this even possible and would any of you guys think of playing it? I just want to get some feedback from Nintendo fans.  Also share your thoughts on what can be brought in to making it a great game.  
I make the impossible.........possible.
Xboxlive gamertag: Evil Twin76

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Zelda Four Swords MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:36:57 PM »
I would rather the four sword be an optional weapon in either the next Cube Zelda or the first Revolution Zelda.  No need to have a second game for the multiplayer.  If they are going to a world game based on Hyrule then they should use Doshin the Giant who appears to be in the new Cube Zelda.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Zelda Four Swords MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 03:39:06 PM »
Zelda + MMORPG = BIG NO-NO

If Four Swords ever goes online it should be just the 4 players per "server" playing through levels...None of this MMORPG garbage...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 03:45:55 PM »
idk..if it was based on zelda 4swd gameplay...that would be awesome....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline PJ gamer10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:16:07 PM »
Well we talked about the Zelda universe because it has so many different well known areas that could really be used for a much deeper story. I do think that MMORPGs will be on the next home consoles. They seem to be pretty popular right now. Something about working together and having full customization on your character is really interesting. Its like Animal Crossing but with the whole RPG feeling. (Thinking about Animal Crossing on Rev...........very nice) Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 06:48:36 AM »
I don't really see how it could be based on 4 swords gameplay....  5000 links running around would still be absolutely stupid...  Fully online 4-swords with match making would be kick ass though.  It could store individual stats like how often you have the most crystals/rupees, and also like average completeion time so you could see how much of a team player someone is....  Still include new levels to download and it would be cool...

True MMORPGs are majorly resource intensive for developers.  Developers who try and make more than one often stretch themselves too thin and one of the games becomes stagnant really quickly.  Nintendo should concentrate on a full Pokemon MMO and thats it.  It, as a series, lends its self the best to the type of game BY FAR!  I do think the free thing could carry through for it too.  They would just need to charge for almost all expansions as expansion packs, develope it in a way that the expansions aren't required, and enough people would still by them...  ACK what a tangent... I'll stop now...

As for Animal Crossing, it isn't really a 'traditional' MMO either.  Having each player set up their own town would be more of a match making system than MMO.  People can visit anyones town but only if that person has their game up and running...  At least thats how I picture Animal Crossing online.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 07:35:29 AM »
Four Swords online is a great idea.  Just take the basic gameplay of Four Swords and instead of playing next to the other three players you're playing online.  You form a team of four and you select what level you want to play.  It's simple and fun.  The only issue is that I found while playing Four Swords Adventures on the Cube I was constantly communicating with the other players.  You need some cooperation for a lot of parts so it would help a lot if you could use a headset for it.

I hate the idea of a Zelda MMORPG.  MMORPG is a corporate buzzword for sh!tty unoriginal repetitive level building online game.  It's the most lazy stupid online game design I've ever seen.  The idea of an online RPG is good in theory but in execution it's total sh!t.  It's the online game publishers order to have made when they want to milk a franchise.  I want online Nintendo games but I have no desire to play any MMORPGs in their current design.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »
Yeah, 4swords in a PSO sort of way would definately be cool.

Ian, I have to completely disagree with you thinking MMOs are a lazy type of design.  To do an MMO right is one of the most complex things in game design.  The MMO i have the most experience with FFXI definately has a ton of flaws, but SE is doing some great things to keep the gamers involved.  Though I'm not there yet 'end game' fights are supposed to be incredibly complex and have very deep strategic elements.  World design is a tough thing...  i dunno, i can't really put words to the whole thing but it is definately not a lazy form of design... its an incredibly hard thing to design and that is the reason so many suck.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline PJ gamer10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 07:45:53 AM »
I want a Pokemon MMO so bad i can taste it. The series has been stale for quite some time and something like that would just bring many gamers and RPG fans back to it.  Four Swords online would be alot of fun. Would it have the same look as the current GC/GBA adventures or maybe take the series into 3d with a Wind Waker or maybe "real" Zelda feel.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 07:48:10 AM »
I think it would be best suited for the DS personally... so keep it 2d and traditional.
---------------------

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 04:20:05 AM »
A 2D Zelda designed MMORPG, might be the only type of MMORPG I would play.  However, it needs to be less focused on the MMORPG aspect and more focused on the Four Swords.

I say the game should have levels that take between 10-20 minutes to beat.  These levels are designed to be played by 1-8 players.  Some of these 8 people levels would require extreme amounts of team work.  While others would have 2 teams fighting against each other to achieve a goal first.  

Keep the game 2D.

Last, Verse Mode should be fully supported with tons of different games for as many as 16 people.  4 teams of 4.  These games could include storming the castle and defending it.  And such.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 05:17:54 AM »
That's not MMO. That's multiplayer but you need at least ~100 people for it to be massive.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 05:29:16 PM »
MMORPG - no
MMOActionAdventure - yeah

Zelda is no RPG, and doesn't need to be an RPG.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 03:23:44 PM »
Zelda Four Swords MMORPG - i hope to god no.
Zelda Four Swords Online - <3.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »
How many of you here have heard of Graal???

Go play the original version,(not the 3d one) and guess what
game inspired it....
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 06:08:27 AM »
As time approaches infinity, the chance of someone mentioning Graal Online in a debate involving the Legend of Zelda and online approaches one.
Same goes for a debate about Chess and someone mentioning Go.

Offline Galford

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
Come on, someone was going to bring it up sooner or later...
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 05:15:35 AM »
I played World of Warcrat and that was awesome.  
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline AennilQ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 05:37:28 AM »
I dont know about that. Most mmorpgs are just really big not detailed. I love the zelda series, and i wouldnt like seeing it all ff11 upped. one animation? Endless fields? Not my dream zelda game.
Yeh its me. Dont get all excited.

Offline AennilQ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 05:40:45 AM »
Maybe a ssb melee game except its a huge world, and you could take character models from all the nintendo games, and personalize them, and the whole place would be a neutral hub, connected to hyrule, and M.K., and Aether+Tallon 4, star fox 's place, etc. there would be all different kinds of vehicles and stuff, themed. A big adventure.  
Yeh its me. Dont get all excited.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 07:24:16 AM »
That would never work.  Online would be swell, but it'd make no sense, aside from not being fun, as an MMORPG.
Only Nintendo game I could see doing that and having it be good would be Pokemon, and only if they did it really well.
Though a Pikmin MMORPG would certainly be really interesting
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 09:32:38 PM »
FF11 is an awful example for MMORPGs and bad even by MMO standards (i.e. even SOE can do better), it sold only because of the name and PS2 support. World of Warcraft is a demonstration of an MMO done right. A Nintendo-made MMO would have huge fields, yes but they'd be very detailled, of course there are going to be more than one animation and most importantly less grind.