Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 707337 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #950 on: December 22, 2005, 05:15:19 AM »
Well, keep in mind its the holiday season...

wait, thats this week, so... could it be posible to see even bigger numbers than past week for the current one?
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 22, 2005, 05:34:06 AM »
Wow.  Congrats to Nintendo for this one.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 22, 2005, 05:47:36 AM »
Is there really such a thing as "the holiday season" in Japan?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE:Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #953 on: December 22, 2005, 05:53:20 AM »
Lets see what Sony has to say about this.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 22, 2005, 05:57:19 AM »
I think so, in nearly every Anime/Manga series they have christmas eps.

My guess is however is that its even less religious than it is in the west as most japanese are not Christian (I think its Shinto/Buddhist which are the dominant religions), thouh that's not saying much since I think the commercial aspects of christmas have totally superseded the religious aspect in even Christian dominat countries.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 22, 2005, 06:05:31 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
The Game Boy Micro is a complete failure.

I think Nintendo has officially gone on the record that the Game Boy Micro was only supposed to last for 3-6 months, and after that it would have exhausted its market and they'd have made a couple bucks out of it.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 22, 2005, 06:15:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
When you thought it coudln't get better...

DS 408,770
PSP 95,689
PS2 55,342
GBASP 19,098
GC 17,849
GBM 14,432
Xbox360 8,623 (LOL)
GBA 416
Xbox 182
O_O

week 1 - 176,000
week 2 - 300,000
week 3 - 408,000
week 4 - if > 124,000

December = +1,000,000 DS sold in one month

Now that is very impressive, I would love to see someone compile a monthy Japanese Chart.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 22, 2005, 07:52:29 AM »
DS 408,770
PSP 95,689

Now if only they could crack the nut that you can play outside over here like that...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 22, 2005, 08:38:26 AM »
*sigh* If only those were US number as well The DS would be set for life.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 22, 2005, 09:08:31 AM »
US numbers, specially psp, are very criptic, I have no idea if the psp managed to outsell the DS in overall sales this year.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 22, 2005, 09:13:01 AM »
I believe that Nintendo has maintained that in the US, the DS has outsold the PSP almost continually (maybe a couple months in the spring when it didn't?) , all the way up to the November confusion on real sales numbers.

Still, given that the NPD doesn't include Bundle sales and the DS is offered in bundles while the PSP isn't, I don't think its much of a stretch to wonder if the DS has outsold the PSP even into November and December. The Nintendogs Bundles and Mario Kart Bundles alone, whoooey!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 22, 2005, 09:18:21 AM »
I think if the PSP outsold the DS, Sony would be shouting it on the street corner.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
last I heard, as of the end of november the DS enjoyed a lead of about 200,000 over the PSP in the US.  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 22, 2005, 01:25:04 PM »
Well according to Sony's Phil Harrison ....

"Moving on to the PSP, how do you think it's gone now we're three months on from launch? What do you make of the reports Nintendo DS is outselling it?

Well that's factually incorrect. PlayStation Portable has been the fastest-selling machine to ten million units. We are bringing in plane-loads of PSPs into Europe and the US as we speak in order to satisfy the demand in the run-up to Christmas, and if you talk to retail they'll tell you it's the hottest-selling piece of hardware right now - by far and away the number one demanded product in stores this Christmas."

(Source)

Note the PR speak is layed on heavy in his interview... really HEAVY

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #964 on: December 22, 2005, 01:44:12 PM »
10 million units.... in STUPID WORLD.

AHAHAHAHAHAH
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 22, 2005, 02:07:41 PM »
Errr... at what point does this count as false advertisment?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 22, 2005, 02:14:28 PM »
Pretty much what it comes down to in the US vs Japan sales is that DS has replaced GBA in Japan but not in the US. HEY AMERICANS, DS PLAYS GBA GAMES!

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 22, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »
Meh. Once the word FINALLY gets around here in the USA that the PSP can't play DVDs and that Sony won't let you burn UMDs, the PSP will be dropped like a hot potato in favor of the iPod video.

EDIT: And did anyone else notice I almost always begin a reply to a topic with 'Bah' or 'Meh'?
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 22, 2005, 02:24:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I believe that Nintendo has maintained that in the US, the DS has outsold the PSP almost continually (maybe a couple months in the spring when it didn't?) , all the way up to the November confusion on real sales numbers.

Still, given that the NPD doesn't include Bundle sales and the DS is offered in bundles while the PSP isn't, I don't think its much of a stretch to wonder if the DS has outsold the PSP even into November and December. The Nintendogs Bundles and Mario Kart Bundles alone, whoooey!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
And Sony can withhold sales numbers AND they don't count certain stores like Toys R Us so I think they extrapolate to estimate.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 22, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
It's funny, because the Xbox 360 is actually the "must have" number one piece of hardware. Just check eBay.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 22, 2005, 07:58:04 PM »
Ebay only shows that the supplyemand ratio for the X360 is lower than the PS's. The PSP sold more than the X360 at launch, mostly because it had enough avalable for everyone.

Offline ShawnSt3r

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 23, 2005, 02:27:29 AM »
      I work one day a week at Gamestop (I have a real job too, heh) and if the impressions I get from people are any indication of the DS to PSP sales here in the US then :

1.) To the uninformed the PSP is still barely maintaining it's "Oh wow, gotta have it to be cool." status but has decreased largely since its released.

2.) To the informed and those who own a psp it's either "$250.00! AND I have to buy games and expensive UMD's, AND a memory stick? The DS is only $130.00 new and it has all these sweet games coming out, 'purchases ds'....

...or ,for those who already own a PSP, "Yeah the PSP is great 'this justifies the purchase', but I don't really play it much anymore, it was cool at first but im just waiting for some better games to come out... 'sites some sweet umd movie'".  I then tell them how sweet the DS is and about all its functionality and they are usually surprised but don't totally buy into it because they have probably invested $500.00 in a psp and they have to stick to their guns.

This is a hugh shift compared to what the average new/uninformed gamer thought during the psp launch window. Something like "PSP is the OwnZorz! The graphics are awesome on a hand-held! DS, was that?!?!"  Heh.

Back to topic, it seems according to my observations that DS is outselling PSP by a good margin, especially in the last few months... though is falling short of complete domination like in Japan.

Anyways, I think the DS sales here in the States will somewhat mirror thise in Japan eventually (though maybe not that hugh) It's just taking longer for the PSP buzz to wear off here.    

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 23, 2005, 07:49:17 PM »
Ack! I almost bought a PSP tonight. I got my Christmas bonus, and was looking for an Xbox 360 to sell on eBay (quick way to make $100 or so), but of course there were none in sight. Anyway, then I saw the PSP and thought, "ah what the Hell, it's not really like I have to pay for it (I got a SWEET bonus)...", but then I came to my senses and bought Animal Crossing: Wild World, and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land instead. What the Hell was I thinking?

Offline ShawnSt3r

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 23, 2005, 07:55:23 PM »
   lol.... at that time a original NES system should have flown out of nowhere and smacked you upside the head.  

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 24, 2005, 10:12:52 AM »
I lol'd when all of the Ninty haters who would bash DS and say the PSP was going to take away the only thing Nintendo was good at, just suddenly stoped talking about the Handheld war once they saw the DS dominate in all countries.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)