Author Topic: Multiscreen systems not new  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Surge

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Multiscreen systems not new
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:10:53 PM »
Recently while writing a paper on the narrative development of video games a ran into a book by David Sheff called Game Over.  In the brief picture section of the book I was in awe and shock to discover a multiscreen system Nintendo use to develop as Game & Watch.  Anyways here is the  site where you can find many more multiscreen systems developed back in the day....

pAz  

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Multiscreen systems not new
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:39:26 PM »
I used to have one of those... Mario and Luigi packing crates in a factory. It was awesome.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 01:01:41 PM »
Wow, I learned.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Multiscreen systems not new
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 02:10:03 PM »

I used to have one of those... Mario and Luigi packing crates in a factory. It was awesome.

That was an addictive little title. And the cases were cool too. I wish I knew what happened to mine ;____;

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »
Why yes, I would also like a Game and Watch Gallery DS game.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »
Hehe, I love seeing other people freak out when trying to control two characters at once in that G&W game... But seriously, the G&W's dual screens had a different purpose than the DS's, namely adding more area to the gameplay as these old systems couldn't depict a changing world (i.e. substitute for scrolling) while the DS has two screens so you can put controls on the touchscreen without obscuring the view on the game area.

Offline Surge

• View Profile
RE:Multiscreen systems not new
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 09:52:19 AM »

But seriously, the G&W's dual screens had a different purpose than the DS's, namely adding more area to the gameplay as these old systems couldn't depict a changing world (i.e. substitute for scrolling) while the DS has two screens so you can put controls on the touchscreen without obscuring the view on the game area

You have to admit that the concept was ahead of its time though.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »
But saying the DS's dual screens aren't new because the G&W did it is simplifying things.

Offline Surge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
it's pretty obvious that the G&W systems are not the same as the DS, but that's because the industry has changed so much.  All I am saying is that the concept of a multiple screens is very interesting and Nintendo has expanded on that idea where other videogame companies aren't doing squat, but reproducing and refining what Nintendo has provided for the industry.  I look at the DS and I think wow these guys have done something completely different with handled gaming.  It makes me want to go out and buy a DS instead of the PSP, which doesn't really provide anything that isn't ready being done on console systems.

pAz