Author Topic: Next Pokemon RPG will be on DS - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl  (Read 20645 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Next Pokemon RPG will be on DS - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
« on: October 08, 2004, 07:32:19 PM »
So what do you think? These games have so much potential. I hope they don't screw it up. And I hope then are Gold/Silver version 2. I'm sure they will save that for GBA though.

Now, with the DS Pokemon can finally move forward. I don't really consider any of them to be different. All the GB and GBA pokemon games are all the same with different pokemon. The graphics aren't even that different other than the GBA ones having full color and nicer menus.

But on DS....3D towns? You could have overhead sure...but why not run around the world in 3D? Or even better, Just cel-shade the whole thing. This a franchise that actually should be cel-shaded, not something like Perfect Dark or Zelda. We already know pokemon look like crap in 3D (look at stadium and those games...). But a nice cel-shaded 3d pokemon RPG....

Of course, top screen would be all the game play...bottom would be all your rpg menus and info and junk and any other like innovative things they think up.

Of course though, the main thing is the wireless. Now I don't know about you but Pokemon would just be about 20 million times more fun with properly implemented wireless multiplayer, meaning well-developed LAN play for you and your friends as well a good online matchmaking system for battles and tournaments. I'd say MMORPG if it were any other company...but it ain't happening. At least not for a good decade or two with Nintendo's level of enthusiasm. Oh sure the DS can do lots of crazy junk and go online but where are my games?....

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Next Pokemon RPG will be on DS - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:44:31 PM »
I would rather have a really fancy overhead-2d style akin to Four Swords Adventures...And I would like the touch screen to play an effect in battles...Other than that any Pokemon will be good with me

(There are two names going around for the second game...Pearl and Platinum...I feel that Platinum would fit better, but I guess we'll see)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 07:47:52 PM »
I'm hoping you can connect the GBA versions with it, so you can get the "original 386" Pokemon from GBA. And I hope the new DS ones have new Pokemon that takes it up to 500 total. From the sounds of the names though, "Diamond" and "Pearl" it sounds like they could have something to do with Gold/Silver, possibly remakes, which would not be cool at all. I want new Pokemon!

Now the touch screen, mic and two screens could be used very well with Pokemon. Perhaps you will be able to yell the attacks into the mic and watch your Pokemon perform them? Use the touch screen to actually perform the move yourself, which would end up being 50% of the effect of the move, however well you pull it off the higher the accuracy and power will be, depending on the attack? Perhaps you can be having a Pokemon battle in one screen while still being able to see the environment (and possibly move around in it) in the other? I dunno, my ideas are lame, but im sure whatever Nintendo comes up with will be great.

I doubt there will be any more GBA Pokemon games after Emerald.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 07:54:18 PM »
You are too cynical on D/P being remakes...  But anyways, I think voice recognition would be VERY cool in battles...Talk about taking another step further in pulling you in...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 07:59:26 PM »
It might be a problem for some people though

"Schtackle!"

Onix used Screech.

"SCHTACKLE!"

Onix used Screech.

"SH!TF*UCK"

Onix used Selfdestruct.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 08:01:04 PM »
Actually I've heard Diamond and Platinum as the alternate, not Pearl and Platinum, but either way that doesn't make sense. Red/Blue/Green/Yellow <-- Colors Gold/Silver <--valuable metals Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald <--gems Fire/Leaf <-- elemental types from the game

Now, Diamond and Pearl are both similar...Diamond is a gem and a Pearl is really similar to a gem (it may actually be considered a gem by some people, not sure...). the wierd thing is Diamond is clear and Pearl is usually white or close to white. not much of a color difference there unlike all the others. And platinum doesn't fit in at all since it's a shiny metal....also platinum implies a mere remake of Silver which i don't want at all....  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 08:07:51 PM »
Diamond and Platinum are both considered highly precious goods, while pearls are less so...So it makes more sense for those two to be paired(And diamond and platinum are natural, unlike pearls which need external influence, polishing of sand in oysters, to form)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 10:15:06 PM »
Real time battles are the latest fads in RPGs.  What about a real time pokemon game where you use the mic to shout orders.  Would really bring home the whole trainer concept....but would it be better?  I'm not so sure...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Next Pokemon RPG will be on DS - Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 10:53:46 PM »
if there is voice recognition it wouldn't be very hard to train the system to your voice.  Newer cell phones can be trained to listen to u pretty well, actually my phone does it pretty well and the learning process on my phone is simple, u just have the system listen to you while u say "Call "BOB"" and have the system record twice for accuracy purposes.

It could be done but it should be optional though.

As far as new gameplay elements, i got this idea from advance wars ds screenshots, if you send your pidgey or any other flying type into the air using fly, he or she could be used as a scout, which would have the top screen show his or her perspective to find hidden items and wild pokemon in the grass!  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
Wow that's an awesome idea, when you use Fly you actually Fly! Outside of battles it could be used to explore a new area of environments that you wouldn't be able to access or even see without using Fly, and it could work for Dig too, in selected areas, so essentially you could have three levels of stuff happening at different heights... hmmm maybe i'm taking this too far.

Another idea with the touch screen is that you touch the part of the enemy Pokemon that you want to attack, and depending on which part of the Pokemon you attack it has a slightly different effect?

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
Real time battles are the latest fads in RPGs.  What about a real time pokemon game where you use the mic to shout orders.  Would really bring home the whole trainer concept....but would it be better?  I'm not so sure...

That would be cool, but i'd rather it in a spinoff Pokemon Stadium type game rather than the main RPG series.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 01:04:40 AM »
The yelling commands would make the discrete playing of pokemon while on public transport impossible. So I'll label it weak and think nothing else of it.

I think they should keep it 2D but get rid of the 'grid' system. You know how in Pokemon theres a hidden underlying grid that determines all your movement, they need to scrap that. It'll just feel better going around the world map. I'ld like to see the 3D effects of the DS used to create more ambient effects through lighting and whatnot, rather than actually making the game 3D. So it's all 2D but their a nice streams of light and shadows in the forests and a glistening sea with depth. Flashy stuff in battles. Stuff like that.

I think they should be set on all new continets that could prehaps obey actual geographical laws in regards to landforms and environments depending on latitude, altitude etc. And as it's on a unique continent the Pokemon can be new and unique aswell. After claring this continent you should be able to travell SS Anne style to Hoern, Jhonto, Kanto and the Orange Islands to capture all the old Pokémon and prehaps evena few new ones. This way it has the "yay all this stuff is new and exciting" feel to it initially without feeling like you've been shortchanged by Nintendo and can create your little "Dream Teams."

Touchscreen can be used to go through menus much quicker and I really liked that choosing where to attack idea. That ruled.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 10:15:08 AM »
Chances are it's 2D overworld and 3D battles.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 03:43:03 PM »
I really don't like the grid systems in Pokemon either. I think the next installement should have movement similar to the 2-D Zelda games.

Offline CardBoardBox

• Official Forum Blast Processor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 05:38:23 PM »
PsSHHHHHHH....Pokemon Stadium was NOT crap, I enjoyed it -___-  Voice recognition would be very cool during battles, but about the public thingy: It could have the option of playing with or without the voice recognition.  Anyways, I do hope they change the layout alittle bit, overhead view is kinda getting boring.  Platinum and Pearl or what ever their names are will be good, gah can't wait for the DS!!!!11!1

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 05:54:50 PM »
"Voice recognition would be very cool during battles, but about the public thingy: It could have the option of playing with or without the voice recognition."

You beat me... ^_^

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 05:59:48 PM »

Originally posted by: CardBoardBox
PsSHHHHHHH....Pokemon Stadium was NOT crap, I enjoyed it -___-

Who said it was? Pokemon Stadium is great... Pokemon Colloseum however is a whole different story.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 06:32:46 PM »
Well if they keep the overworld 2D, i'd at least want the character models to be 3d. 2D characters can only look in 8 directions and animate pretty stupidly compared to 3d models. Anyway, I still like my cel-shaded idea the best, although mixed 2D and (non cel-shaded) 3D would be fine too. Rise of Nations on PC is 2D map, 2d buildings but 3d characters, vehicles, and effects and it looks fine, even if it isn't the super highest tech possible or anything...

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 06:34:17 PM »
Hmmm I've been pondering something. But it's a pretty drastic change to the battle system.

You know how in the cartoon fish pokemon and stuff couldn't fight on land and land pokemon couldnt fight on water well I was considering this and belive it could still work in the games.

Obviously there are someexisting water pokemon who have legs and can fight on land. Kingler, Marril, Wooper, Wartortle, Poliwrath and all their evolutions can because they have legs. Wingull and Gyrados can beause they're part flying. Even the assorted seal pokemon and Shellder probably could. So there could be these different classes of water pokemon, those that can fight on land and those who cant.
So basically when going surfing you will only have water pokemon with you but you can still have a balanced team if they try to diversify the secodary elements of water dwelling pokemon. We have Lanturn who is part electric, Sharpedo - part dark, Dewgong - part ice, Tentacruel - part poison, Horsea is part dragon these days, right? Either way if they focus on creating many of the new pokemon as duel element water dwellers then we can further diversify all water battles. Not to mention that all the land water pokemon can fight in water too.

So if you get what I'm saying, I'm proposing a greater range of duel element pokemon, having pokemons abilities greatly effected by their environment and by doing so making players create alternate fighting teams making us diversify our lineups and learning the ins and outs of more pokemon. It doesn't just have to be water and land either. Some pokemon shouln't be able to fight in caves (large birds come to mind) otehrs could have problems with altitude and thickness of the surrounding vegetation.
This would add more depth to battles which is needed to negate that ever annoying tactic of little kids who just train the one big Pokemon.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 06:44:25 PM »
Hmmmm... that's interesting. It could be a hassle for weak trainers who only train one or only a fewPokemon and won't know what to do in some situations, but it sounds okay to me. When you say have pokemon abilities affected by their environment do you mean that for example grass Pokemon would be more powerful in forests and patches of grass with trees around them, than say, a cave or water?

I say combo attacks should be introduced, for example you use water gun with Squirtle, and Pikachu uses thunderbolt at the same time, and you aim the thunderbolt at squirtles water gun, and it combines to form a powerful water/electric attack. And make it so you can aim attacks, like attacks that never miss such as water gun you press anywhere and it hits them, but low accuracy attacks like Thunder you have to try and aim it perfectly while the enemy pokemon is moving around or something.

Offline Ness_the_Mess

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 07:08:15 PM »
I would be fine with the same graphics, no new pokémon, and no changes to the battle system.

I want a LONG quest, with GOOD multiplayer, and ALL 383 pokémon (divided between platinum and diamond, of course).

That's it.  Nothing stupidly new.  I just want all the pokémon.  Please.
EarfBOWND

Offline RABicle

• View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2004, 07:09:49 PM »
Yes mario some excellent ideas and if they turn of disugsting, filthy and WEAK playes away, then they are exactly the kind pf ideas worth implementing. But yes that's basically what I'm getting at. Some pokemon will be seriously weakend in some environments (eg. Poliwag would suffer in a desert) while others could receive signifigant boosts (Magmar fighting in a nice woodland) while others would become completely unusable (Alakazam in the ocean.)

Your combo attacks are an excellent idea, I think we discussed this before, once upon a time, on ezboard... They really need to start emphasizing the 2 on 2 battles more, because they have so much potential depth.

Maybe the touch screen could be used for battles and depending on where the battle was initiated would depend on the environment where it was fought. Small areas for cover, wide spaces, trees, higher ground. Although I don't want it to become like Tactics Ogre, being strategitcally placed should be able to help you out. And that idea of aiming attacks yourself was cool aswell.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2004, 07:17:15 PM »
The environment should definitely play a part in gameplay...They sort of did that with Rain Dance and Sunny Day, but it should really be taken more into account in the next game...Needs more strategy! ='D

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »
What if you're battling under a tree, and you attack a branch, and the branch falls on to the enemy pokemon and hurts them! Of course the world would have to be 3D and detailed for this to happen, but it's possible! You could look around you and see things that could be used in the battle, another example is if you're using Alakazam on a beach, he could use a Psychic attack to lift up some water and thrust it towards your opponent.

And maybe while you're fighting random wild pokemon other wild pokemon could be walking around and randomly join in.

Damn why aren't WE developing a Pokemon game?!

Offline kurst_chao3030

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2004, 07:25:19 PM »
don't get rid of the 2d overworld view, i like it just...i think it would be really cool in a new style. think about this, an anime style, not cell 3d but like marvel vs capcom kind characters in an anime world that was like watching a show kinda. but overview, actually that wouldn't really work...how about ragnarok online. i really like the mmorpg idea, i actually thought of that, and it sounds pretty damn awsome
Banned

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2004, 10:43:18 PM »
As long as it has Scyther and Kabutops I'm getting it. Haven't gotten a pokemon game since silver because of a lack of Scyther (my favorite pokemon).

Heres an idea I just thought of: What if the game took place in the distant past when areodactyl and kaputops were not extinct and there were some 'pre-evolved' versions of the modern pokemon that are the "ancestors" of some modern pokemon. the unknown pokemon could be more involved and diverse as well. you could maybe choose form a small bird or a dog (of normal type) for your starting pokemon and in a grand battle near the end, depending on how you focused its training and types of attacks and such, it evolved into one of the legenday birds or dogs. Then in the special edition of the game you could get a small mouse/cat creature that would follow you and be like the "yellow version" for this series and later it evolves into mew. and at the end of the game, it shows that your mew, the partner of the -ancient legendary trainer- was the same mew that was used to create the feared Mewtwo.

Just some thoughts from my closet pokemon fandom.

Also, IGN says that the official colors are Pearl and Diamond, no mention of Platinum in the article.  
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]