Author Topic: PSP PRICE ANNOUNCED!!!  (Read 90502 times)

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2004, 05:45:34 PM »

highly doubt it
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2004, 06:20:36 PM »
Reggie-san wa PSP o tabemasu.

Oishii desuyo!  
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2004, 08:23:13 PM »
Reggie attacked the PSP this morning.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2004, 08:44:09 PM »
PSP - 7/10/2004 never foghat

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2004, 05:17:27 AM »
Reggie puts the PSP in its place

This morning in Seattle, Nintendo made its most aggressive attack on Sony’s PSP project to date. Following months of staff members whispering to any member of the press that would listen, constantly sewing seeds of doubt regarding the Portable PlayStation, head of sales and marketing for the US, the infamous Reggie Fils-Aime, landed the first on-the-record blow.

“Let me tell you something,” bellowed Fils-Aime with something of a glint in his eye. “Those little women at the Tokyo Game Show with those portable consoles strapped to them… What you didn’t see is that those women were having to go recharge the batteries every two hours!”

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2004, 07:07:37 AM »
Ha ha, I wonder if Reggie calls his significant other the little woman?  That guy is hopped-up on Elephant steroids.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2004, 09:30:49 AM »
With square-enix releasing 6 games on the DS and only a 1 hour FF movie the problem a possible $350 seems much bigger than it is.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2004, 10:22:45 PM »
Uh oh... PSP price in Japan announced at 19800 yen (around $185 US), cheaper than expected, with 21 launch titles! Launch date = December 12, two weeks after the Japanese DS launch, and a new game based from Final Fantasy 7 is coming to PSP, so much for Square not supporting it. DS = doomed?

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2004, 11:04:17 PM »
Wow.

According to the Gaming-Age forums...

PSP 19800 Yen
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/041027a.pdf

PSP + MS Duo + remote headphone = 24800 yen
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/041027b.pdf

And according to The MagicBox...

- RUMOR: Unofficial reports from Japanese retailers stating that Sony will launch the PlayStation Portable in Japan on December 23, for 24,800 yen. The PSP package will include a PSP system (black), Memory Stick Duo 32MB, Battery Pack, AC Adaptor, Headphone with remote control, carrying puch and cleaner.

- RUMOR: There are 12 PSP titles at launch, including:

* Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software, 5040 yen)
   * Dokodemo Issyo (Sony, 3990 yen)
   * Everybody's Golf Portable (Sony, 5040 yen)
   * Legend of Heroes: Gagharv Trilogy (Bandai, 5040 yen)
   * Lumines (Sony, 3990 yen)
   * Mojipittan (Namco, 4725 yen)
   * Need for Speed Underground Rivals (EA, 5040 yen)
   * Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory (Hudson, 5040 yen)
   * Ridge Racer Evolution (Namco, 5040 yen)
   * Sangokushi (Koei, 6090 yen)
   * Tiger Woods PGA Tour (EA, 5040 yen)
   * Vampire Chronicles: The Chaos Tower (Capcom, 5040 yen)

- RUMOR: In additon, here is of PSP titles with definite release dates in Japan

* 01/23/05 - Gran Turismo 4 Mobile (Sony, 5040 yen)
   * 01/23/05 - Popolocrois: Prince Pietro's Adventure (Sony, 3990 yen)
   * 01/23/05 - Final Fantasy VII Advent Children (Square Enix, 5040 yen)
   * 01/24/05 - Puyo Puyo Fever (Sega, 3990 yen)
   * Feb 05 - Metal Gear Acid (Konami, 5040 yen)
   * Feb 05 - Tales of Eternia (Namco, 5040 yen)

Considering that SCEE's president suggested that the PSP hardware was going to cost around $450, I guess this means that Sony wants to play hardball, and they're gonna pull an XBox (maybe even teach Microsoft how it's done) and buy their way into the handheld industry.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2004, 12:20:29 AM »
Yeah... looks like PSP is a serious contender to Nintendo dominance of the handheld market now. This should be very interesting...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2004, 05:04:26 AM »
Of course, it could just be Sony lying so the DS' launch will be impaired because people hold off as the PSP is "just around the corner" (and actually gets released a year later for 300$).

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2004, 05:55:45 AM »
before you get your panties in a knot, realize that the only games sony has worth playing are $50.  I don't see that flying well.  50 for a dumnbed down GT4 when I can get it for the same price on the PS2.  

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2004, 12:42:42 PM »
Even worse is that on Gamespot's article of this news says that the official battery life is 6hrs of gameplay on average, and 4-5hrs for moves.

6 HOURS of gameplay, no thank you, if Nintendo DS could only pump out 6 Hours of gameplay I would be pissed off.  The GBASP battery has given up on me when i haven't saved the game and that pisses me off but it hasn't done it much, because ive learned to save more often when batteries are getting low, plus the GBASP battery last a long time.

They improved on the movies but i still don't see ppl buying movies for their PSP instead of DVD.  Heck its more likely that BlueRay Disc and HDVD Disc will have better sales.

I think in Japan PSP will sell very well, due to the fact it is more technology advanced and will have final fantasy advent children, but for the U.S. i seriously doubt it, because of the DS headstart is a lot larger in the U.S.  Which makes me wonder if this is being rushed from Sony or Nintendo.

I know one thing though Nintendo sales of GCN + GBA + GBASP sales are greater than Sony's Ps2 and Ps1 sales.  So if PSP can take away some percentage of the handheld market for a good amount of time then it will hurt Nintendo.  Thats why Nintendo said if the DS doesn't do well it will hurt their company drastically.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »
In a very hillarious news report over at GameSpot, it looks like Sony and Ninty are getting down and dirty in a verbal slugfest over their new portables. I think it's a little juvenile, but still funny.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2004, 07:25:20 PM »
SONY:  "It can play movies and mp3s!"

REGGIE:  "I EAT PSP FOR BREKFAST!"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2004, 09:31:53 PM »
"If you want to play Gran Tourismo you need a PSP, right?"
Last time I checked GT4 was a PS2 title and the PSP game was called GTMobile. Shows how much this guy really knows about his product.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2004, 10:59:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Famicom
In a very hillarious news report over at GameSpot, it looks like Sony and Ninty are getting down and dirty in a verbal slugfest over their new portables. I think it's a little juvenile, but still funny.

Ken Kutaragi made himself look like a desperate idiot by basically saying that the DS is going to be nothing but a Pokemon-machine, and then saying that the PSP is a way for you to pay $200 for someting you already have (a PS2).

Nintendo's PR guy seemed a little harsh saying that the PSP had no software, but if you look closer, it was the story's editor who specified which trade show the rep was talking about. If he was actually talking about E3, the Nintendo rep was going easy on Sony.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2004, 05:18:09 AM »
I pretty much assumed that was at E3.

Either way, GSI claims they know from a source in Japan that Sony's going to lose 350$ per PSP sold. Sounds like they're mimicking Microsoft there with the difference being that Microsoft is slightly more profitable than Sony. MS is making billions (8/a if I read that report correctly) and although they didn't like it, one billion off their profits isn't a major issue. Sony's financial report looks somewhat different, they had about 800M$ profit last FY, chop two billion off and you can spell "desaster".

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2004, 06:33:30 AM »
What's funny is that Pokemon DS will probably be the final blow to the PSP...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2004, 06:53:51 AM »
"Hey Sony, we got a Pokemon card with your name on it!"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2004, 07:47:32 AM »
"Either way, GSI claims they know from a source in Japan that Sony's going to lose 350$ per PSP sold. Sounds like they're mimicking Microsoft there with the difference being that Microsoft is slightly more profitable than Sony."

$350?!!  That's just insane.  That's like "Sony leaves the console business" insane.  Why would they do something so stupid?  Some of us have suggested the idea that if Sony screws up with the PSP it might create an opening for Nintendo or MS to take the top spot in the console market.  That was hopeful thinking at the time though now it looks very possible.  If this is true that's just irrational panicky behaviour on Sony's part.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2004, 09:08:20 AM »
Well IMO u need to lose money to make money.  Just because PSP may be worth $400-$500 it doesnt mean thats how much it cost them to actually make each one.  If they make them in mass im sure the cost of production is cut.  However I think they will still be losing a good chunk of money either way.  

Their main objective is to make money off of the liscenses now and if the system doesn't sell then they won't make money off of new liscenses, and thats where Sony will be left open to a 1-2 punch by Nintendo and Microsoft.  First being DS, second being Xbox2, or Xenon whatever the xbox2 is called.  Lastly and hopefully the Knockout punch with the Revolution.

If you look at xbox when it came out, their system was defiantely around $500 if not more than that to make, and they had a Mexico production facility produce all of their systems, which prolly took some of the blow away from the costly system.  Either way you look at it you lose money to make money, but for Microsoft's case that didn't turn out that well.  Not to mention the downloading of complete games onto xbox hard drives, that my friend is laughable.

As for Ken Kutaragi he is a moron.  In Japan Pokemon still sells like crazy, same in USA also.  I believe that in japan and the USA the fire red and leaf green games both sold over 1 million copies, actually i think each game sold a million but im not too sure, prove me wrong.  

It is the worst comment ive heard, Reggie pwned him.

This is almost like the 2004 presidential election, lol.

"When you cast a vote in a 2 party system, that's when you lose for sure"  - Guttermouth

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2004, 10:09:46 AM »
Licenses don't make THAT much, though. They cannot recoup more than maybe 70-80$ per system through licenses.

I was thinking about this (warning: farfetched theories ahead!): Maybe Sony is really leaving the business, Microsoft is gaining momentum and might win the next gen and the japanese market is crumbling, dealing a big blow to Sony. Perhaps it's big enough that their games division wants to do a kamikaze attack: Sell the PSP at ultra low prices, deal a blow to Nintendo, make both companies unprofitable and go down with Nintendo. Killing both yourself and your enemy, devastating the market and leaving a big crater behind.

Another idea: To stop the PSP nintendo could invoke antitrust laws. After all, Sony is abusing their quasi-monopoly position to break into another market using dumping. These laws are there to prevent huge companies from taking losses to underprice their competitors and destroying any competition with smaller profit margins. I think it would really devastate Sony's game division if a court ordered them to price the PSP at 350$ and pay damages to Nintendo...

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2004, 10:59:07 AM »
WOW, that is hilarously unheard of.

First off Sony's Playstation Division is it's only profitable division.  TV, Camera's, Stereo systems, u name it, all of their divisions have been falling off the profit charts.  Why in the world would they try to destroy thier gaming division.  Unbelievable.  Aru u high KDR_11k?

Secondly Nintendo has 99% of the handheld gaming market.  If anyone gets into monoply trouble its Nintendo.  The DS is cheaper too.  If Nintendo tried to push it they would lose and it would backfire on them forcing the DS to be $300 that way PSP can go to its real price $300-$500.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2004, 11:18:11 AM »
"Another idea: To stop the PSP nintendo could invoke antitrust laws."

I actually thought of that the second I saw the price.  You legally can't take a huge loss just to run a competitor out of business.  Though I doubt Nintendo would do anything about it unless it was really crippling them because Sony is a bigger company and the bigger company usually wins in court.

"Secondly Nintendo has 99% of the handheld gaming market. If anyone gets into monoply trouble its Nintendo."

Nintendo's monopoly isn't a problem because they're doing nothing to keep competitors out.  Anyone can make a competing portable.  The N-Gage isn't failing because Nintendo is using dirty tactics to kill it off, it's failing because it's a crappy product.  So there should be no problems with Nintendo's portable monopoly.