Author Topic: They should make a Zelda RPG.  (Read 37558 times)

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: They should make a Zelda RPG.
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2004, 06:08:51 AM »
A Zelda game without any real action?

Just.....no.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
RE:They should make a Zelda RPG.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2004, 07:35:56 AM »

I think they just need to make the sword battle system more complex, where fighting can become art like for those who want it to be and still just a hack and slash for those that dont. And perhaps a way to level up (or temper...hint hint) your sword and shield. Thats all the improvement I need, and even without those I'm fine.

:I didn't like kingdom heart's battle system, it got mundane and winning a fight lost its satisfaction after awhile.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2004, 08:12:07 AM »
- instead of getting hearts, you'd fight random battles to slowly level up to around 50.

That sounds bad on paper already. Random battles... BAH. Zelda is about exploration, not being afraid to take one step too much because you constantly run into enemies.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2004, 11:41:09 AM »
Zelda and RPG have nothing in common.... it would be disgusting

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004, 04:08:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure they don't have anything against RPGs. They just don't want Zelda changed, or can't see how it would work as an RPG.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2004, 08:22:31 PM »
Making an RPG out of Zelda would not make sense, especially making a traditional RPG out of it (i.e. no Mario RPG, just Final Fantasy with different characters). Nintendo should set up their own RPG franchise and not try to make spinoffs of even more franchises.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2004, 09:28:46 PM »
But Nintendo is more about games with gameplay than traditional RPG games with no gameplay, I doubt that'd happen.

And yes, while I love Zelda games, they always start to bore me after playing for a while. Especially Wind Waker.

Offline notic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »
I never played it but isn't the Mana series like an RPG crossed w/ Zelda?
Check one two~Who got more style than son do

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2004, 09:55:59 AM »
Yes, but they pale in comparison to Terranigma, imo...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2004, 01:15:03 AM »
Square-Enix present....
*Faded screen*
Zelda Quest: The Eternal Balance of Angst Sword Magic End of World-1

Zelda: LINK I AM SO ANNOYING AND DEPRESSED BECAUSE GANON WANTS TO TAKE OVER HYRULE
Link: I am ALWAYS annoyed at everything for NO REASON
Zelda: You must stop Ganon!

*Link busts out a moterbike and tears up the joint for five minutes of pointless FMV*

Ganon: I AM THE GANON
Zelda: OH NO I AM BEING KIDNAPPED BY THE GANON
Link: I hate everything badly

*20 minutes FMV of the sky*

Tingle: Link you should go rescue everybody
Link: I HATE YOU SO MUCH, I THINK I AM GOING TO NOT CARE SOME MORE

*70 hours of random battles with the same three enemies later, Link smiles when he rescues Zelda*
Link: Zelda I am a homosexual
Zelda: WHAT YOU SAY

*End credits*

There's your Zelda RPG.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2004, 01:57:08 AM »
OMG! GAME OF TEH YEER!!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2004, 02:32:32 AM »
LOL! *applause*

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2004, 04:30:44 AM »
I really feel like locking this thread now, Infernal wins at this thread.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2004, 04:21:53 AM »
Zelda is a RPG
Case closed

Zelda wouldnt work in a stats baised driven game (nu-school rpg) or a text baised game (real rpg)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2004, 07:05:18 AM »
Zelda, as a whole(that is, not including AoL), IS NOT an RPG...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2004, 02:13:06 PM »
Right.  It's real-time sword-swingaroo.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
This all depends on ones definition of RPG.  Taking it literally it means a game in which the player takes on a certain role.  Thus we are all taking on the role of Link so it IS an RPG.

Note: This is not a serious post.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2004, 04:20:39 PM »
But people do think that's what qualifies an RPG sometimes...But if that were the case, you could consider the Mario platformers as "RPGs" since you take on the role of Mario...So instead we now use the basis of "stats" to categorize a game as an RPG...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2004, 05:24:15 PM »
Sports games have stats.  I am inclined to believe RPGs do not exist since they are not clearly defined by any basic game structure.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2004, 06:12:10 PM »
So then MMORPGs non existant to you as well Degello?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2004, 06:43:52 PM »
Graphic chat rooms.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2004, 10:01:30 AM »
No RPG for zelda, unless you want to completly ruin what is undeniably the single greatest videogame franchise ever.  Have you ever seen a bad zelda game (at least one made by nintendo) No you haven't, even the worst game is better than most other games on the market.  Link doesn't need to talk.  If Link talked he'd lose a lot of his charm, people have in their mind what link sounds like.  We don't want to ruin that.  As far as RPGs go, No, just no.  Zelda isn't made for RPG, its made for adventure with someone actually controlling the action not watching it.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2004, 10:17:37 AM »
Ive thought for years that they should make a Zelda RPG and still think that they can, but not as a Final Fantasy wannabee. Dont tell me it cant be done becasue if u can take mario and put him into a golf,tennis,rpg,racing, and a fighting game without ruining anything, i think u can do something with Zelda.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2004, 11:10:50 AM »
"Link doesn't need to talk. If Link talked he'd lose a lot of his charm, people have in their mind what link sounds like. We don't want to ruin that."

I'll argee that Link should never talk (though I do know what he sounds like from all the "yah" stuff Nintendo loves so much they almost ruined the GBA port of LttP with it) but there's no reason to associate talking with an RPG.  Mario didn't talk in Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario and it worked fine.

For those of you against the idea I think most of you are making two rather silly assumptions:
1. That regular Zelda games won't be made anymore if a Zelda RPG is made.
2. That a Zelda RPG, if it was made by Square or not, would become a boring FMV fest.

Neither of those are guarenteed to occur.  Newsflash!  It's possible to make an RPG that doesn't suck.  There are RPGs that don't have any FMV, don't have random battles, and have enough real time interaction and puzzles that it feels like you're playing not watching.  They're made by Nintendo and star Mario as the main character.  Those not only are quite awesome (I greatly prefer Super Mario RPG but I do think Paper Mario and Superstar Saga are still good) but they're reasonably loyal to the atmosphere and feel of the original franchise.

The Legend of Zelda RPG could be amazing.  Don't be so close-minded and think beyond Final Fantasy.  Think of Ocarina of Time but with a world big enough to require an overworld map, menu fighting, a party, stats and exp, and upgradable weapons and equipment.  Imagine that the dungeons still have real time puzzles as well as battles with non-random always-visible enemies that you battle with.  Imagine full 3D with battles that take place where they are encountered like in Chrono Trigger.  Imagine real time elements to the battles like timed hits, timed blocks, and pre-emptive strikes (Paper Mario style).  Imagine spells and items aquired having real time usage outside of battles (ie: hookshot).  Imagine each character having specific abilites like in Final Fantasy VI (Link can attack with his sword, arrows, boomerang, bombs, etc; Zelda uses magic and can change between Zelda and Sheik thus having different abilities in each form; a Goron character can use a rolling attack).  It's not hard to think of how to make a good Zelda RPG.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2004, 01:47:34 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Think of Ocarina of Time but with a world big enough to require an overworld map, menu fighting, a party, stats and exp, and upgradable weapons and equipment.  

AAAHHH!  Quit threatening me!

One advantage the Mario RPG games have over other RPGs is that their overworlds are something you actually PLAY.  I mean you don't just move around in them and push blocks.  you actually jump and hit things and some of them are downright difficult to do so in, especially in Superstar Saga.  They aren't challenging because they are long and full of random/non-random monsters.  They are challenging because the levels are made with a quasi-platform game frameset and mindset, with some rather fun (in Mario RPG's case) menu fights thrown in.

And forgive me Ian, but I don't see the difference between what Zelda already IS and what you propose for the RPG Zelda, except for "menu fighting, a party, stats and exp."  Zelda already has an overworld.  Hell i daresay it was the first game WITH an overworld.  Does menu fighting make it an RPG?  Stats?  EXP?  What makes an RPG?

And I will say this, every RPG I've had fun playing ever broke as many known rules about RPGS as they possibly could, whereby being irreverent (Earthbound, bit boring, but hilarious), action-y (Tales of Symphonia AKA Fighter in RPG clothes) or both (Mario RPGs).  So please understand some of my apprehension toward a potential Zelda RPG that would follow those rules.