Author Topic: Wii Hardware Revision Confirmed for North America   (Read 13836 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Hardware Revision Confirmed for North America 
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 05:11:54 PM »
If they can suddenly number Mario Kart with a 7, they can call it Nintendo 6.

Like how Nintendo never "officially" discontinued the Wii Sports Resort-less bundles or the Wii Sports/Sports Resort bundles.  They just kinda stopped making them.
Did that happen with the DS Lite too? I haven't seen any in a while.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
Like how Nintendo never "officially" discontinued the Wii Sports Resort-less bundles or the Wii Sports/Sports Resort bundles.  They just kinda stopped making them.
Did that happen with the DS Lite too? I haven't seen any in a while.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumor/26132

That is a rumor about the DS Lite being discontinued.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
I've heard the rumours but there was never any official word on it. The last official thing that happened was that the DS Lite was dropped to $100, which may have been done to sell off the remaining stock. So I was wondering if anyone else has seen them around, which would give some indication if it was actually discontinued or not.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
Nintend6

the little circle is the o
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »
That's actually pretty slick. I like it!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 05:59:02 PM »
That's what I was getting at. I believe I wrote an unnecessarily long post on that before. It's boring, but it gets the point across.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
"Nintendo 6" is kind of a goofy name when a past Nintendo console was called the "Nintendo 64".  It's basically the same format except one refers to a sequence of consoles and the other to the amount of bits the CPU had.  Hell there is only one character different here.

One thing to note is that Nintendo loves it when the name of the system allows for lazy names for the games.  They loved it when everything was Super ______ or ______ 64.  The Gamecube didn't allow for that so they had to get creative.  Nuts to that.  The Wii made it easy by just just appending "Wii" to the end of titles just like appending "Advance" or "DS".  Nintendo 6 won't allow that.  They can't call it Super Mario 6 without confusing the hell out of everyone.

I liked the old Revolution name.  I would suggest a look and name completely different from the Wii.  The Wii brandname is ****.  Talk all you want about how successful the Wii was but it was clearly seen as the casual console.  Nintendo shouldn't want to be pigeonholed to any specific demographic.  They should want their name to be associated with "videogames" so that anyone of any age, any gender and any level of interest should see it as a brand that suits their needs.  I say make it black, make the exterior look more like a generic piece of electronics and pick a name that brings to mind "entertainment".

Don't emphasize "fun".  "Fun" is associated with children and families.  Yes, videogames are fun but what people really want is entertainment.  Entertainment can be scary or sad.  Horror movies aren't really fun per say.  Neither are sad songs.  But they're entertaining so people like them.  "Fun" is like happy-go-lucky rainbows and marshmellows.  Although entertainment is fun, adults typically don't think of the term that way.  "Fun" is seen as harmless stuff or kid's stuff.  Videogames can be happy and harmless or dark and disturbing.  They can make you think, make you cry, make you laugh, pump up your adrenaline or relax you.  Videogames are broad and any decent videogame system should reflect that.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
Isn't "Sex" the Latin term for the number 6?

Therefore, I propose the console be named "Nintendo Sex".

......or if that is out of the question, then "Nintendo VI" would also work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:53:27 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
"Nintendo 6" is kind of a goofy name when a past Nintendo console was called the "Nintendo 64".  It's basically the same format except one refers to a sequence of consoles and the other to the amount of bits the CPU had.  Hell there is only one character different here.
Kind of like DS and 3DS.
One thing to note is that Nintendo loves it when the name of the system allows for lazy names for the games.  They loved it when everything was Super ______ or ______ 64.  The Gamecube didn't allow for that so they had to get creative.  Nuts to that.  The Wii made it easy by just just appending "Wii" to the end of titles just like appending "Advance" or "DS".  Nintendo 6 won't allow that.  They can't call it Super Mario 6 without confusing the hell out of everyone.
I'm struggling to understand what you're getting at here when you already pointed out how Gamecube didn't allow the use of lazy titles. Clearly, they wouldn't use "6" as part of the any game title because they can't. They seem to like doing that but obviously, as history shows, they don't have to. Sony has just been stick numbers at the end of their brand for 2 whole generations and will probably continue to. I don't see why Nintendo shouldn't just because of Nintendo 64. We're (console) generations removed from it. No one is going to get confused which is the important part. "Nintendo" is the brand that Nintendo should be pushing. It means something, people can pronounce it, people recognize it and it's a strong brand. Just call it "Nintendo" [something] and boom, done. "Nintendo 6" is lazy but it works. "Nintendo Stream" lets you know the most important thing about the console (streaming to the controller). The name doesn't have to be elegant. It has to get the point across and it might as well not sound stupid.
Isn't "Sex" the Latin term for the number 6?

Therefore, I propose the console be named "Nintendo Sex".
Sony already beat Nintendo to it with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. They even made it sound skankier.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:03:33 PM by Adrock »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 08:05:40 PM »
Eh, Nintendo should follow the DC Animated Universe's lead and call it the Nintendo Beyond ("Nintendo of the Future" in Europe.  ;) ).  :P: :

In all seriousness, though, I always liked the codenames of both the Wii and the GameCube: Revolution and Dolphin, respectively.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:07:15 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
I actually liked the name "Gamecube." It described exactly what the console was: a cube shaped system that played games. Can't get anymore straight forward than that. The problem was that Nintendo put a handle on it and marketed indigo as the primary color. The name, in my opinion, worked.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
I have said this tiresly until I am hoarse, but the Wii U should have been named "Super Wii" and its code name should have been "Evolution."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:59:54 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
I have sdaid this tiresly until I am hoarse, but the Wii U should have been named "Super Wii" and its code name should have been "Evolution."

Super Wii Sports
Super Wii Play
Super Wii Fit

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
Well, you can keep saying it. Everyone will still think Super Wii sounds stupid.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
It sounds better than "Wi U," which sounds more like "Pee-you."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »
I have yet to hear a name that sounds significantly better than Wii U. I also stand by my statement that it doesn't matter how terrible the name of it is if they get the hardware right to get third parties onboard and provide a high quality software lineup.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
I have yet to hear a name that sounds significantly better than Wii U. I also stand by my statement that it doesn't matter how terrible the name of it is if they get the hardware right to get third parties onboard and provide a high quality software lineup.

Why not just "Wii 2"?  Retains the "Wii" brand's equity while distinctly being described as the newest version.

As for the hardware revision, I recall a former co-worker berating me because I mentioned how I was a fan of the Playstation 3 system/games, and how he couldn't understand how I could be a devotee of a company that is so abusive towards their customers.  Mentioned that I should sell my PS3 and get an Xbox or buy more Nintendo games.

Frankly, this revision makes it seem like Nintendo has contempt for their fanbase.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:36:48 PM by lolmonade »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
If someone waited until this point to buy a Wii, do they really qualify as part of Nintendo's fan base?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
I actually liked the name "Gamecube." It described exactly what the console was: a cube shaped system that played games. Can't get anymore straight forward than that. The problem was that Nintendo put a handle on it and marketed indigo as the primary color. The name, in my opinion, worked.

I agree. The only problem is if Nintendo wanted to keep using the Gamecube brand name they would be forced to design their consoles in a cube form, so that wouldn't have worked with the Wii which is rectangular. Its a shame the Gamecube failed, but the name itself was fine and had nothing at all to do with the failure.

Designing the GC to look like a purple lunchbox was the worst thing Nintendo could have done. Because it was a purple lunchbox no one wanted to be caught dead with it. Going around with a purple lunchbox is the equivalent of wearing a pink tutu to highschool. So people tended to steer clear of it. Of course, I had the Platinum GC so mine actually looked cool and I wasn't embarassed to own it. That should have been the default color of the system from launch.

If you think about it the Wii is the exact opposite of the GC, because the GC had a cool name but crappy appearance but the Wii looked sleek yet it had the lamest name of all time.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
I would hope by Black Friday next year finding a non-used Wii would be terribly hard because the WiiU will be sitting in its place.

It all depends on if Nintendo thinks they can get by with the Playstation 2/3 approach.  Otherwise known as the NES/SNES approach.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 12:15:49 AM »
Frankly, this revision makes it seem like Nintendo has contempt for their fanbase.

The Wii kept the GC backwards compatibility far longer than the PS3 did with PS2 BC. Plus as Insanolord pointed out, anyone who is only now just getting the Wii probably doesn't care or would even know about the GC stuff anyway. Sony pulling the plug on the PS2 emulation was a much worse slap in the face. Not to mention that Other OS and PSN business, but that's another story...
is your sanity...

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
Backwards compatibility history, as I remember it:

Handhelds
GB Colour, fully backwards compatible with GB, even added new features to old games.
GBA, fully backwards compatible with GB, just looked a bit stupid with the carts sticking out.
GBA SP, fully backwards compatible with GB, now even more stupid with the carts sticking out even more.
GB Micro, removed all backward compatibility, including GB games, GBA accessories and GBA power cables.

DS Lite, fully backwards compatible with GBA and DS
DSi, Nintendo pulled the plug on GBA and peripheral support, added region locking
3DS fully backwards compatible with DS games

Consoles:
NES 2 - fully compatible with NES, actually made it region free apparently.
SNES -  no backward compatibility, except if you include the Super GB
SNES 2 - fully backwards compatible with SNES
N64 - no backward compatibility, except if you include the WideBoy
GameCube - no backward compatibility, except if you include the GB player
Wii - fully backwards compatible with GC
Wii Lite - no backward compatibility with GC
Wii U - fully backwards compatible with Wii
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
I would hope by Black Friday next year finding a non-used Wii would be terribly hard because the WiiU will be sitting in its place.

It all depends on if Nintendo thinks they can get by with the Playstation 2/3 approach.  Otherwise known as the NES/SNES approach.

Also the GBA/DS approach, and currently the DS/3DS approach. I think it's a pretty safe bet that they'll go with it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
GB Micro, removed all backward compatibility, including GB games, GBA accessories and GBA power cables.

And yet it's still awesome. Huge battery life, tiny tiny size, and an amazing library (even if many of the best games are SNES ports). Here's hoping Mario Tennis wins the RetroActive poll so I get to bring my Micro out again.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
Gamecube was a great name.  It described what it did and sounded coolish.  Wii not my choice but at least creative.   3DS fits much like Gamecube.  What you liked about the DS with 3D.  Wii U I really don't think fits those mold.  Its not the Wii.  Motion controls are not the focus in fact I argue its about as far away you could get and still be playing games.

Simply Wii U is its own beast and deserves to be treated as such.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.