Author Topic: 3DS Will Feature Handheld Virtual Console  (Read 8423 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Will Feature Handheld Virtual Console
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:41 AM »
Probably not, but even if it is possible, I don't think there are enough worthwhile games for it to be worth it. You don't see the Atari Jaguar on the Wii Virtual Console.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
Would any of you actually buy non-Nintendo portable games?  Seriously I can only think of a very small handful of Game Gear of Neo Geo Pocket Color games that I would consider worth owning.

Whatever the price is it will likely be a little bit higher than we would like.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
I'm hoping Nintendo ditches the "single price for all games on the same system" pricing scheme.

A GB game from 1989 (that's not Tetris or SML) isn't worth the same amount as a GB game from 1998.  All games are not created equal.  There's no reason why Nintendo should feel the need to sell them at the same price.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »
vudu, that makes sense but I figure Nintendo would abuse it.  They would have their normal GB pricing which will be more than what we would pay for Alleyway but a bargain for Link's Awakening and then they would just charge more for the better games.  I doubt they would make the worse games cost less, it would just raise the price of the better.

Right now Urban Champion and Super Mario Bros 3 each cost 5 bucks.  That's a big rip-off for Urban Champion but a perfectly reasonable price for a classic like SMB3.  If they keep a fixed price at least we'll know we'll get a good deal for some of the more rare or exceptional games.

It would be great though if they went the opposite direction and recognized that certain games are not worth the single price.  It would be nice if the pricing was $5 or lower.  But they won't so let's not give them the idea to raise the price of the better games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
I don't think Nintendo will ever ditch the fix pricing scheme that they've used since the NES, they don't even lower the price of their games anymore. Sure, Nintendo has before talked about how games should be priced as what they are worth, but a company like Nintendo think all their games are worth full/high prices.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
Is it harder to emualte home console or handheld games?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:56:10 PM »
Whether it is home or portable is irrelevant, it is all about the hardware itself. It wouldn't matter with a console, there'd be no difference between console and handheld, but a handheld would have a more difficult time emulating a home system if the display resolution of the handheld is smaller than the original system.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Whether it is home or portable is irrelevant, it is all about the hardware itself. It wouldn't matter with a console, there'd be no difference between console and handheld, but a handheld would have a more difficult time emulating a home system if the display resolution of the handheld is smaller than the original system.

This is why we wont see home consoles on the 3DS virtual console, right? I would prefer that they just kept the two seperate and offered each a uniqe arsenal of games.

What does a virtual handheld service mean for the wii virtual console? If Nintendo is going to offer VC for a new system, they will have to push it into the main stream and this must mean that they might speed up the wii virtual console once again.

I have a strong feeling that Game Gear and Neo Geo Pocket color games are going to show up on the service. I keep saying it, but I think the slide pad on the 3DS could accomodate NGPC because of the similarity with its D-pad.

I would love to be able to play all the older Nintendo competitor handhelds without having to worry about batteries or back lighting.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
If we don't see all console games on here, I wonder if we'll still see TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine games.  The game cards were so small, they were used interchangeably between the TurboGrafx-16 and TurboExpress handheld systems, and Hudson seems to be pushing out their games wherever they can.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
If they put console games on the 3DS VC and portable games on the Wii VC then it opens the whole can of worms about transfering games between the two systems.  Ideally if I buy a VC game I should be able to play it on either my Wii or my 3DS.  Well if the two VCs are clearly seperate with no crossover then that doesn't really come up.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 06:40:38 PM »
Straight GB games will be one price and GBC games will be higher. I can see GBA games, should they ever appear, as the $10 "N64" games of this service.

On a happy note, we might well see Shantae (GBC) release for the service. Capcom would have to get on board, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »
Straight GB games will be one price and GBC games will be higher. I can see GBA games, should they ever appear, as the $10 "N64" games of this service.

On a happy note, we might well see Shantae (GBC) release for the service. Capcom would have to get on board, though.

Should they appear? You mean when they appear, right? This is one reason why I want this serive to revisit all the good GBA games. Is there any reason for why they will never appear? I mean the GBA is a handheld SNES and I do not see any problem emulating the system on the 3DS.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »
I say that because it wasn't specifically announced. Just GB and GBC games were.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »
There's already GBA games on DSiWare for 800 Reggies, but I could see them moving up to 1000 if it comes to pass.

I'd prefer to see 200 (GB)/500 (GBC)/800 (GBA) in line with DSiWare pricing, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
I say that because it wasn't specifically announced. Just GB and GBC games were.

Why would they include those consoles and not the GBA?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
They might not have the GBA portion ready yet. I'm sure it'll be on the service eventually, but it might not be there day one.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsOTBETVAg

This is a really cool video and shows off a bunch of handhelds. Most of these will end up on the Virtual Handheld service.