Author Topic: Flip's Twisted World Developer Journal  (Read 10940 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Flip's Twisted World Developer Diary
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
I'm really liking the design of the bosses. These days most bosses are realistic looking. It is nice to see this type of design.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
Formatting and posting these every week has been an absolute pleasure. I will be sad when I don't have an e-mail from Majesco PR in my inbox every Monday or Tuesday.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Flipster

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
"Originally, Butch was in the Glacier World's seas cleaning up a chemical spill from a potion sucked in from Master Fulcrum's lab, but when we decided to go in the direction of collecting Chapter Stones, he became a surly porpoise resolute on drilling the ice, searching for an elusive Chapter Stone."

Could this maybe have had anything to do with being controversial towards oil spills, or no? I guess since your idea of Chapter Stones has been around before the recent oil spill that is unlikely, but it still seems like an interesting coincidence, or maybe it's just me over-thinking it  :P:

I also enjoyed your guys' throwaway story, mostly for two reasons:

1. For me it's always been about the events and characters in a video game, not necessarily the main plot, but how the player progresses through that main plot and what memorable characters and events are experienced along the way.

2. Since Flip is actually in a far-off land inside of a magical book, if a sequel ever arises not only could you show a more consistent or in-depth universe if desired (much like what Banjo-Tooie was to Banjo-Kazooie), but it would also be less constraining for the plot to create a whole other universe with new characters and worlds without it seeming like an inorganic or unnatural progression.

Personally I always tend to love the first of a platforming series the most for having all of the basic themes (Super Mario 64, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Banjo-Kazooie, etc.), but more and more am I starting to appreciate a series' progression into a universe that is more of it's own, although that doesn't mean it NEEDS to be dark like Jak 2 or Banjo-Tooie.  :)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »
Part Two? Where is Part One?

EDIT: Silly me! I totally missed the sidebar with all the other entries posted. Looks like I have some more reading to do...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:07:10 AM by Mop it up »

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
This developer diary has been a real treat, and it worked to not only put this game on my radar, but make me very interested in it.  I especially liked the bit about Flip's hit box getting wedged in the level geometry and doing weird things.  I've seen some really hilarious, but also some really frustrating bugs that come from that kind of thing.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »
I really appreciate the latest entry.  The TEV is a mysterious black box to most, so it's nice to not only see it getting use, but mathematical explanations of how it can be used creatively.  Heck, I haven't even seen NintendoWare mentioned anywhere since 2007.  I hope you guys have a chance to play with the lower-level TEV stuff and give Nintendo and High Voltage Software a run for their money!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:10:57 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
Wow, what a great (ongoing) read.  Thanks very much to the Frozen North Production guys for sharing, and for NintendoWorldReport for hosting.

Best of luck with the game.  If it turns out half as good as it looks then it'll be worth owning.   :D
NNID: ejamer