Author Topic: Movie theatre rant  (Read 10009 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Movie theatre rant
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
haha, Stogi made me want to watch movies with him hahah. I like audience participation, makes **** lively.

and brandogg for theatre and theater, I like to switch it up every now and again myself. Usually, I refer to places you watch plays and musicals as theatres and places you watch movies as theaters, but sometimes I don't follow that convention in the name of changing that up. There needs to be 10 words in the english language with no fixed spelling in the name of keeping things fresh. The ones of the top of my head are Theatre/Theater, Disc/Disk/Disque, Grey/Gray(though i hate fucking gray)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:22:50 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
I refer to places you watch plays and musicals as theatres and places you watch movies as theaters.

That is typically what I do as well. It's classier that way.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
I use "theatre" because I'm Canadian.  "Theater" is considered American English which means that everyone outside of the US points and laughs at Americans for using it. :D

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
Oh, how I envy the Canadians...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:39:38 PM »
You damn right.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
The first complaint seemed legit. After that, I felt you were probably just kidding around.

I guess if I had a real complaint about the movie theaters it would be that they are still open. For my money, it's either IMAX or bust.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:51:00 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »
I use "theatre" because I'm Canadian.  "Theater" is considered American English which means that everyone outside of the US points and laughs at Americans for using it. :D

thats incorrect, the spelling of theater/theatre varies throughout the country in various places, its stereotypical. The same thing is the stereotype that we don't use and don't understand the metric system. The metric system is actually the official standard of measures of the united states, but the united states doesn't enforce it because it would **** with free trade and free speech. I use the metric systems and the old english standard for others. Gallon of milk and gas/2 liter bottle of soda. 100 meter dash, mile jog. etc.

speaking of variants. The pronunciation of "The", i took german and have noticed a pattern between how some people use "thuh", and "thee" subconsciously in English that goes unnoticed. Depending on how many The's are in a sentence they will change the pronunciation. If there is one then it will be "thuh", if there are two it will be "thuh" "thee", if there are three it will be "thuh thee thuh", of course because its subconscious the pattern doesn't always get followed and not everyone picks up on it. If someone really want to emphasis something then they'll say "thee", what else needs to be picked on is the use between the two when switching between different lettered nouns.

quick note on why Soccer isn't called football in the U.S. Before the 1800 the game hadn't been standardized so there were a number of variants. Previously any game with a ball that you kicked was called football regardless of the rules, much like how there are numerous card game variants. The most popular one to get any sort of major league support was the Association Football. Soccer is an abbreviation for Association football. Probably originally pronounced Sosher, but you can't expect people to pronounce everything you print the way its intended.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
It's a cinema.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 06:44:23 AM »
i only call it that in german. Ich gehe mit meinem eltern ins kino!

i think my German is terrible, but im not sure.

Yo miro la palicula con mis padres
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:50:50 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »
thats incorrect, the spelling of theater/theatre varies throughout the country in various places, its stereotypical. The same thing is the stereotype that we don't use and don't understand the metric system.

I was actually surprised to find out that Americans call it a 2L bottle.  Everything else seems to have ounces and gallons but it says "2L" right on the bottle.  On the flip side Canadians don't use metric for everything.  Weight is almost unanimously done in pounds and everyone describes their height in feet and inches.  Only some annoying politician douchebag would describe how many metres tall he is and how many kilograms he weights.  Anything in construction is also done in imperial because the standard sizes were originally done that way.  Like a 2x4.  If you convert that to cm it would have decimals and that's just a stupid way to do it.

Goverment stuff however never uses anything but metric.  It's metric on all our driver's licences.  Imperial is considered American which means that all normal Canadians are perfectly fine to use it but a small minority of idiots in Ottawa want nothing to do with it.  To acknowledge the culture influence the United States has on Canada would suggest that Canada is somehow inferior you see.  Thus politicians pretend that everyone uses metric exclusively, when they themselves probably don't.  They also pretend that everyone speaks French and watches CBC for anything besides hockey.

However I'm pretty sure it is "theatre" all across Canada.  At the very least if you spelled it "theater" on a spelling test you would get it wrong.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
Ian, you should use your pass to go see the Immortals....

The theaters/cinemas here are all pretty alright except for the fact they are bloody expensive at $16NZD ~ $13USD for a 2D movie. They also have ridiculously short runs and over saturate the blockbusters to the point it is not uncommon to half or more of an 8 screen complex screen the same movie. Dollars to hours, ot makes for very poor entertainment compared to games.

To continue the de-rail, all common measurements are metric here unless your a sailor, mechanic, or aviation. 2x4 and 4x4 are used here since they are a standard arbitrary size that works. I wish the world(US) at least for the sciences would abandon imperial and completely go over to S.I. Mistakes like that are fucking embarrassing, not to mention expensive in time and money.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?