Author Topic: The Game Industry is destined to topple the Film Industry  (Read 12939 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: The Game Industry is destined to topple the Film Industry
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 02:51:11 PM »
Do you think the Off-TV play functionality of the Wii U might help with that?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 05:12:26 PM »
If time wasn't a factor, what would you choose?

But that question is still not what I'm proposing. I am saying due to innovation, the game (i.e. interactive) industry will become dominant over the film (passive) industry over time.

Film will continue to invent things I can't even think of or fathom, but that rate of innovation will like be dwarfed by the interactive industry due to rate of technological components in general.

That last part I added just for clarity. The interactive industry has a wider range of information/technology to harvest than does the passive industry, and because of that, the rate of innovation is likely to be higher. Now here is the crucial part which is merely speculation, if the rate of innovation is higher than that industry will likely garner more attention, more wealth and ultimately more prestige.

Now the only drawback I have is if something similar to the book and film industry happened, whereby a technology came around that engulfed the former passive medium. I don't know what will engulf film, but even if this medium appears, it is likely to include some sort of interactivity.

BTW, I am 25.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:14:04 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »

I think in some ways it will, but I also wonder how many games will actually utilize this feature in the future. 

I also know my wife and I are excited to use the TVii features, so my other complication is that I'll probably have to fight her for it when she's using it for the multimedia features  ;D

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »
If time wasn't a factor, what would you choose?

But that question is still not what I'm proposing. I am saying due to innovation, the game (i.e. interactive) industry will become dominant over the film (passive) industry over time.

Film will continue to invent things I can't even think of or fathom, but that rate of innovation will like be dwarfed by the interactive industry due to rate of technological components in general.

That last part I added just for clarity. The interactive industry has a wider range of information/technology to harvest than does the passive industry, and because of that, the rate of innovation is likely to be higher. Now here is the crucial part which is merely speculation, if the rate of innovation is higher than that industry will likely garner more attention, more wealth and ultimately more prestige.

Now the only drawback I have is if something similar to the book and film industry happened, whereby a technology came around that engulfed the former passive medium. I don't know what will engulf film, but even if this medium appears, it is likely to include some sort of interactivity.

BTW, I am 25.

Ok, well to more directly answer your question: No, I don't think the game industry is going to topple the film industry.  I think you're comparing apples-to-oranges a little bit simply because they are consumed in two different ways.  If anything, I see movies implementing interactive elements to keep audiences compelled in certain situations.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »

I think in some ways it will, but I also wonder how many games will actually utilize this feature in the future. 

I also know my wife and I are excited to use the TVii features, so my other complication is that I'll probably have to fight her for it when she's using it for the multimedia features  ;D

Of the 8 games I'm going to have at launch, only ZombiU and Nintendo Land don't have Off-TV play. I think most any multiplatform game will have it as an option, at least.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent