Author Topic: OK Go Music Video Headed to 3DS via System Update  (Read 1647 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
OK Go Music Video Headed to 3DS via System Update
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:45 AM »

The Nintendo 3DS gets its first 3D video content by way of system update. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/25822

The music video for "White Knuckles" by OK Go will be available to watch in 3D on the Nintendo 3DS if users perform a system update. Despite the fact that the system does not launch until Sunday, the system update is already live.

The video, like most of OK Go's recent music videos, was shot in a single take in both 2D and 3D. The video features many dogs doing tricks, and some interesting stacking of plastic bins. The Nintendo 3DS is one of the first avenues that the 3D version of the video has been made available in.

No other details have been made clear, regarding the system update. The update is meant to "enhance the communication features of the Nintendo 3DS system".

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: OK Go Music Video Headed to 3DS via System Update
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
While the actual video doesn't interest me, this makes me hopeful of more video content.

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
I like where this is going.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
Ha.  This is so weird.  A System Update... before the system even launches?  Strangely, I'm excited to see what these short videos look like on the 3DS.  If they can keep a consistent stream of mini-content like this coming in, I think it's a very cool little bonus feature that many aren't considering when they evaluate the new handheld.
Although I thought the SpotPass was supposed to make updates like this easier, even automatic?  Or will some be automatic, while others you'll need to manually go in and click "Update"?  I'm thinking less about me, and more about the inevitable buyers of 3DS who can't program their DVR.  Very interested to see what happens in the first few weeks/months after launch...
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »
Whoa.  Note this, from the bottom of the article on Nintendo.com about the system update/music video:

"Please note that the 'White Knuckles' music video is provided for a limited time and may be deleted from your system with subsequent updates"  (emphasis mine)

Not sure how I feel about this.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
Wonder if it's something that can be moved to the SD card...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
It's already been reported it cannot. It's copywrite protected and cannot be moved. It's probably just an example at how 3D video can work on the sytem.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
I hope they also put up the japanese video. y not?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
Maybe the update was originally scheduled as part of the eShop but Nintendo wants to show Hollywood that they have fairly well protected method of content distribution out of the box.

Hopefully this makes use of the Spotpass feature and will be randomly updated with unique and exclusive content (where deletions are based on number or size of videos and it's always oldest first so we can have an idea of when things will be pulled) and if you turn off Spotpass, you can keep what's on the device without interference.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.