Author Topic: Hideki Kamiya Departing Platinum Games, Next Thing Unknown  (Read 812 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Hideki Kamiya Departing Platinum Games, Next Thing Unknown
« on: September 25, 2023, 04:08:04 AM »

I asked my mom like Kamiya said, she wondered why I was calling at 5 a.m.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/65008/hideki-kamiya-departing-platinum-games-next-thing-unknown

One of the founding creators behind Platinum has left the studio after nearly 16 years.

In a post on Twitter (the social media site now known as X for some infantile reason), Platinum was the first to confirm the departure effective October 12 (two weeks from Thursday):

Kamiya himself responded confirming the announcement:

One of the founding creators of Platinum out of the ashes of Capcom's Clover Studios, Kamiya served as executive producer on many of the company's projects including the original Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: Hideki Kamiya Departing Platinum Games, Next Thing Unknown
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 10:07:30 AM »
I predict he starts up his own indie studio and then creates a spiritual successor to some Platinum IP.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 10:32:54 AM »
I would expect Platinum to fold or get bought out after this. Kamiya is the only reason anyone cared about that company, and Babylon's Fall was a massive flop.

As for Kamiya, I just hope he didn't leave to join a Chinese company, as some of his contemporaries have in recent years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 11:32:52 AM »
Been reading speculation that PlatinumGames’ LOL attempt at self-publishing and turn toward GaaS as possible reasons for Kamiya’s departure. He apparently pushed for both though these were always precarious moves. It hadn’t shown an ability to consistently create best-sellers. Can’t pay the bills with positive review scores.

I wish Kamiya luck on his own though he’s best when someone else keeps his worse impulses in check. That isn’t an indictment of Kamiya‘s talent. Most people have trouble with the killing-your-darlings aspect of creative works.

As for PlatinumGames, if it stays independent, it’s probably looking at some lean years of support and licensed work. And after that, there aren’t tons of options beyond being a Bayonetta factory.