Author Topic: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?  (Read 21246 times)

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
This is the list I have so far of what I have played:

1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
2. Animal Crossing: City Folk
3. de blob
4. Mario Kart Wii
5. Tetris Party

I can't say it's completely finished, because I haven't been able to play Wario Land Shake It, Dokapon Kingdom, Boom Blox, Tales of Symphonia 2, or World of Goo yet.

Brawl was everything I wanted it to be. It met all my expectations, but I wish I had more people around here to play it with.

City Folk has really been keeping my interest. I enjoy it a lot more than WW on the DS, and it's just nice to relax to after coming home from work.

de blob was just such a surprise. I didn't know much about it until I played it, but I just enjoy the experience. I hope they turn it into a series.

Mario Kart Wii has a few multi-player problems, but it's fun and easy to get others to play with you.

Tetris Party just has so many fun ways to play tetris. It's another fun game just to relax with.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
1. No More Heroes
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. World of Goo
4. Super Smash Bros Brawl
5. Endless Ocean

Gamepro calls No More Heroes Wii game of the year.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:10 PM »
I don't own No More Heroes because the whole thing reaks of style over substance.
Correction: No More Heroes reaks of awesome.
Now if someone who acknowledges that the Wii third party support is unacceptable crap, and by far the worst third party support a market leading console has ever had, then I'm more inclined to take their recommendations.
Correction: We have, you're just not listening. How many topic have we bitched about 3rd party support on the Wii? On top of that, how many topics have been derailed so we can bitch about 3rd party support on the Wii? It sucks, we all get it. At the same time, most of us (that being basically everyone except you) is willing to admit that there are, in fact, some good 3rd party titles on the Wii (No More Heroes being one of them) and that 3rd party support is getting better. Have you considered that there's no precendence for what Nintendo has done? No 3rd place loser has ever become market leader in one generation. If the average game takes 18-24 months to develop on average and everyone counted the Wii out from the get go, 2009 is a pretty good time frame for support to be improving. I thought it'd be sooner, but better late than never. With House of the Dead Overkill, Madworld, and Dragon Quest 10, looks like better 3rd party support finally on its way. Those games are only some of what has been announced. So, maybe you should stop complaining and play some games. Christ, like this needs to be said again.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
Now if someone who acknowledges that the Wii third party support is unacceptable crap, and by far the worst third party support a market leading console has ever had, then I'm more inclined to take their recommendations.  They recognize the same problems I do so if THEY think some unique new third party IP is great then it must be pretty good.  But "rah rah the Wii is the best Nintendo console ever" people are not going to convince me to buy anything.

There have been many games that more, well, stingy commentators have recommended on the Wii. No More Heroes is definitely one of them, but somehow you manage to dismiss that game, a favorite among Wii critics, out of hand. World of Goo is also another across-the-board critical darling, but then again it's also loved on these boards, heaven forbid, so you may want to think twice about that purchase.

Boom Blocks has also somehow earned high praise from Wii critics, which is what you want. You may be interested to know that I actually don't understand what they're talking about, so the game should have TWO things in its support. If my support for what you call "mediocre" games makes you suspicious, then my reticience on Boom Blocjks may suggest it's worth.

What the big guns are working on is a better indication of Nintendo's direction for 2010.

Fixed. This is Nintendo remember?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
Adrock's post has warmed my cold heart.

Sadly, my top 5 list for 2008 won't be accurate until at least 2012 at the rate I'm going.  I have yet to play several games from other people's lists.  I know SSBB and No More Heroes will make the list, though.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 03:06:27 AM »
Ian won't even give an awesome $20 game like No More Heroes a chance? Geez, it's only $20! Even if you hate it you aren't out much, but I doubt you would hate it. Its the best Wii sword-fighting game I've ever seen so far, bar none, and is probably the best we are going to see until Motion Plus comes out. Its hard to see how you could improve on the controls for that game anymore without motion plus. It is perfect.

Until you at least rent this game and give it a try you have forfeited your right to bitch about 3rd party support on the Wii. None of your complaining in that respect will have any validity until you give this a chance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:08:48 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:52 AM »
He doesn't give chances until the gaming media recommends it.
But wait, the gaming media DOES recommend it!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
lol he doesn't change his mind!  The evidence of its mediocrity has been out for 10 months, the 11th month means nothing to him!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
People like Ian are the reason 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles has always been difficult. He complains 3rd parties don't support the Wii, and then once in awhile a company will release a quality game to test the waters, so what does people like Ian do then? They ignore it! They don't buy it, regardless of what word of mouth or reviews say about it, and months later they're still complaining quality 3rd party games aren't there.

Well gee, I wonder why. Maybe the fact you didn't buy the games when they did come out has something to do with it. 3rd parties will cite the lack of sales to justify not coming out with more games, and so it is a vicious cycle. The only way to break the cycle is to reward 3rd parties who come out with quality games, and that means to actually buy those games instead of ignoring them or inventing reasons to bitch about them when you never even gave them a chance. If you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem, so if you aren't even going to try 3rd party games then you have no right to complain about them.
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »
Metacritic posted theirs.

I find it interesting that MaBoShi made it, I didn't know reviewers liked it so much.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
I wish they'd release it in North America, I'm very interested in it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2008, 07:10:30 PM »
Metacritic posted theirs.

I find it interesting that MaBoShi made it, I didn't know reviewers liked it so much.

I laughed when they had "KING OF CLUBS" for PS2 as a DUD

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:13 PM »
I have not played many of the games on some of these lists (goo, mm9, endless ocean, etc) - however I have played several levels of No More Heroes and hated it.... actually I couldn't stand the combat system at all.  I'm curious as to how you folks did.  It managed to be boring and frustrating all at the same time.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »
It's extremely easy, for one.  So I played according to what flashy finishes satisfied me.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »
1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2. Guitar Hero: World Tour
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Okami
5. De Blob

Also enjoyed:
Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars
Tetris Party
Bomberman: Blast

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:51 AM »
I have not played many of the games on some of these lists (goo, mm9, endless ocean, etc) - however I have played several levels of No More Heroes and hated it.... actually I couldn't stand the combat system at all.  I'm curious as to how you folks did.  It managed to be boring and frustrating all at the same time.

Why is it difficult ? Smash A and to finish Gesture Left/Right, Up/ Down. You can lift up the wiimote for higher attacks and tilt down for lower.

Felt like a great mix of button smashing and gestures. I thought it was so damn satisfying and fun to battle.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:55 AM »
Not difficult but repetitive. Battling mook 20 is the same as battling mook 1.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2009, 03:10:29 AM »
That's a matter of choice.

Offline Systamix

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
5. Lost Winds (Short, but fun)
4. Megaman 9 (I love the fact that another old school Megaman game was made)
3. Animal Crossing: City Folk (I'm quite dissapointed by the fact that it's more of the same, but I still enjoy it none the less. Also, if they are going to reuse music, why not take the superior soundtrack from the GCN version?)
2. Mario Kart Wii (I'm addicted to it. My main gripes are the friend code system and the fact that you can't have 1 on 1 versus)
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Basically the same game, but bigger and badder. Great for multiplayer, but they should really ditch the whole friend code thing!)

- These are really the only games that I bought this year for the Wii aside from virtual console. This has been a sort of slow year for Nintendo. I'm itching to try out No More Heroes and Okami, but at the moment I am low on funds. Hopefully 2009 is more exciting! I want to see some really big, OMG Super Mario Galaxy/Ocarina of Time moments..... and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel to Megaman Legends :P I think that series would be perfect for the Wii!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:01:07 PM by Systamix »
Tomorrow does not exist...

Wii Number: 7131 3418 3440 3405
Animal Crossing Wii: 1977-4383-4016 Town-Lunacry Villager-Shroomz
Mario Kart Wii: 2363-9326-0569
Super Smash Bros Wii: 5284-1130-4135

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
2. Mario Kart Wii (My main gripes are that you can't have 1 on 1 versus)
Yes you can. On the screen where you select whether you want to play a Solo or Team VS race, there is a little blue circle on the top right of the screen; select it to go to the options screen where you can turn off the computer players. This same option menu can also be found on the battle mode select screen.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2009, 05:34:52 AM »
Wii Games
1. Okami
2. Zack & Wiki: Quest For Barbaros' Treasure
3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
4. De Blob
5. Mario Kart Wii

Honourable Mentions:
Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Battalion Wars II
Disaster: Day Of Crisis
Boom Blox
Sam & Max: Season One

WiiWare Games
1. World of Goo
2. Megaman 9
3. LostWinds
4. Bomberman Blast
5. Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Honourable Mentions
Toki Tori
Tetris Party
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King
Pop
Defend Your Castle
Art Style: ORBIENT

Overall, 2008 has been a pretty damn great year for Wii software...

...that's right. I said it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:35:50 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Systamix

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:33 AM »
2. Mario Kart Wii (My main gripes are that you can't have 1 on 1 versus)
Yes you can. On the screen where you select whether you want to play a Solo or Team VS race, there is a little blue circle on the top right of the screen; select it to go to the options screen where you can turn off the computer players. This same option menu can also be found on the battle mode select screen.

Oh, really? I never knew that. Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:23:35 AM by Systamix »
Tomorrow does not exist...

Wii Number: 7131 3418 3440 3405
Animal Crossing Wii: 1977-4383-4016 Town-Lunacry Villager-Shroomz
Mario Kart Wii: 2363-9326-0569
Super Smash Bros Wii: 5284-1130-4135