Author Topic: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?  (Read 21377 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: WHat are your TOP 5 Wii games of 2008 ( including WiiWare ) ?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
If you're a musician, guess what it's worthless because all of the concepts that make the game magical are commonplace for you.

If you aren't a musician or musically inclined the game teaches you the staples of music composition.

Knowing several musicians that love the game, and as someone who enjoys playing music myself, I have to disagree with this...And Ian likes Guitar Hero, so his idea of what a "music game" should be is obviously skewed...

No, I can't even think of a fifth.

Why the HELL do you not own No More Heroes?  In fact, you don't list a single non-sequel!  You complain about a lack of original games, yet you don't support them...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:15:46 PM »
If you're a musician, guess what it's worthless because all of the concepts that make the game magical are commonplace for you.

If you aren't a musician or musically inclined the game teaches you the staples of music composition.

Knowing several musicians that love the game, and as someone who enjoys playing music myself, I have to disagree with this...And Ian likes Guitar Hero, so his idea of what a "music game" should be is obviously skewed...

Fair enough, I guess it's just been my experience that friends of mine who are "musicians" have felt the game was not very rewarding. So perhaps it isn't that easy to simplify, but bottom line, it isn't a bad game, nor is it really a game. But playing with a group of people is rewarding and in a similar way to how it is with Wii Sports.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
It is no different then the Wii-makes Nintendo has on tap for next year.

Wow. Just wow. Guess the Madden series is a port each year as well, right Ian?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
1. Super Smash Bros Brawl
2. Wario Land Shake
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. No More Heroes
5. Lost Winds

There's still several Wii Ware titles I plan on downloading over the holiday so my list is likely to change before the end of the year.

Of course I can say without a doubt that Smash Bros and Wario Land will remain at the very top.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 03:35:18 PM »
I wonder how people can rate Lost Winds higher than, say, Toki Tori...

The game isn't bad, it just isn't for you.

Ah, so Wii Music is the Twisp and Catsby of videogames. ;)

No, T&C is a parody of art that only critics can like. Wii Music is mass market and you've shown in the past that you are the kind of critic that T&C is geared towards.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:30 PM »
1. Wii Music
2. Disaster
3. No More Heroes
4. Ferrari Challenge
5. Shaun White Snowboarding

Other highlights for me include Wii Fit, De Blob, Alien Crush Returns.

It's a bit early to be doing this list since the year isn't over, and there is still a major release to come out here in World of Goo. I didn't put Mario Kart Wii there because it's unfair to other games being the best game of ALL TIME, and it's not just a game it's a whole lifestyle, plus it's kind of insulting to the game itself to be merely part of a list when it's so much more.

Fair enough, I guess it's just been my experience that friends of mine who are "musicians" have felt the game was not very rewarding. So perhaps it isn't that easy to simplify, but bottom line, it isn't a bad game, nor is it really a game. But playing with a group of people is rewarding and in a similar way to how it is with Wii Sports.
It's rewarding if you're creative, period.

Also while I do enjoy the new Animal Crossing a lot, it's far from a good game, Nintendo barely even did development on it, it probably has LESS additions than the Play on Wii games, it still is one huge scam and a missed opportunity, thank god the game is flopping. The new graphics look very nice though, and I guess that's a big part of the game.

Disappointment has to be Brawl, just not that fun to play. There's worse games but I was excited about Brawl.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
No, I can't even think of a fifth.

Why the HELL do you not own No More Heroes?  In fact, you don't list a single non-sequel!  You complain about a lack of original games, yet you don't support them...

Bill has stumbled on Ian's enigmatic lie.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
Where exactly is AC flopping? The game is doing quite well. It is laughable people say it has less additions that the Wii make because it is a baseless argument:

1. Ability to use Voice Chat
2. Updated visuals
3. Vastly more items, and collectables
4. A city to visit along with some areas that AC fans will appreciate like everyone's favorite mole in addition to the Academy hall.
5. Many more animals
6. Holidays have been tweaked with some additions
7. Mushroom hunting in fall
8. Solid and stable online experience
9. Greater personalization and design for clothing
10. USB Keyboard support for texting or writing mail

Is it a gigantic leap forward. Of course not, it is a pretty by the books upgrade but it is also far from a port. Actually I find the experience to be much better than the DS one because I can relax and play it at home with all the additions the DS version brought to the game along with City Folk's very own additions.

Not to mention even if it was a "port" of the DS game, it doesn't make it any less of a great gameplay experience. It is like saying if they rereleased Mario Galaxy that it isn't "good" because they didn't change anything. Maybe value wise it may not be good but the game itself still remains great.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:59:49 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »
Oh yeah; my top 5:

5.  World of Goo
4.  World of Goo
3.  Mega Man 9
2.  World of Goo
1.  World of Goo

Honorable mentions:  Okami, NMH, Brawl, Kart
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
Come on, we don't want to sour this best games thread with an AC debate do we? The difference is this isn't a re-release, Nintendo are trying to pass it off as a whole new game, it's had three years potential development time. That sounds like a Super Mario Advance press release. Nintendo hardly even had to think when making this game. Remember when Nintendo sequels used to be really new and surprising?

It's Nintendos big holiday game and not even in the top 10 in the US, debuted at #37 or something in the UK and outsold by games like Rabbids TV Party, and is also doing terrible here despite having commercials and advertising everywhere you look. I'm sure it's made big profit considering the development, but it's not a big mainstream hit.

I think it's the best AC too but I really can't give the game praise when standing next to such brand new games like Disaster and No More Heroes and proper sequels with incredible new gameplay mechanics on top of blistering new content like Mario Kart Wii.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:03:41 PM by Mario »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »
1. Brawl
2. Wario Land Shake It
3. No More Heroes
4. World of Goo
5. Mario Kart Wii

EDIT: How is it possible after reading the whole thread I completely forgot about Animal Crossing? It should be either 2nd or 3rd.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:15:47 PM by insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
I honestly don't know if I should enjoy all the angst or groan at the fact that we can't even do a top five game list without someone dragging it down with angst, big words, angst, anger, angst and bitching.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 07:49:13 PM »
1. SSBB
2. Mario Kart Wii
3. Dawn of the New World
4. Okami
5. Animal Crossing: City Folk

Honorable Mention:  Endless Ocean

Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »
I honestly don't know if I should enjoy all the angst or groan at the fact that we can't even do a top five game list without someone dragging it down with angst, big words, angst, anger, angst and bitching.

Well it's all about opinion, so OF COURSE you'll see that... ='D

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
I wonder how people can rate Lost Winds higher than, say, Toki Tori...

I haven't played Toki Tori, that's why.  But like I said, I plan on downloading some Wii Ware titles over the holidays so I'll try to look into it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »
5. Art Style Orbient
4. Tetris party
3. No More Heroes
2. World of Goo
1. Super Smash Brothers Brawl. 

i see this game and the great reviews but i don't get it. I guess its a game unless you play you don't get. I don't get it. I fear i will buy this game and it won't be up to greatness everyone says, or if it is great it won't be my type of game. I'm not into starcraft so it doesn't matter how many 10's it gets I don't get RTS games like that so similar to this all the great reviews can come but I don't think I will like it.

Being a college student using 80% of my money on paying down debt, 10% on dates with girls 5% on food that tiny % of extra money has to be spent on something I KNOW FOR A FACT I WILL ENJOY. So no buy for me.

i gave it a shot and now I get it and I enjoy it. Reviews like that helped encouraged me to buy and give it a shot. Also my girlfriend giving me Wiipoints card for Christmas is a big factor since I had extra wiipoints.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 01:23:53 AM »
1. No More Heroes
2. Okami
3. Wario Land Shake It

Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii if I have to pick a 4 and 5. I was disappointed in both of them though. And Wii Fit isn't a game. DS had a FAR better year. Good morning, Crono.
Christ, like this needs to be said again.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 04:52:41 AM »

Oh ****, real life is imitating anime!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
Let's NOT become neoGAF, mmmkay?

Anyways, I'm not gonna call this a top 5 of my favorite of the year, just a top 5 of games I feel warmest about so far (haven't gotten around to playing so many games T_T) and can think of right now from the year 2008:

5. Strong Bad CG4AP
4. Toki Tori
3. Mario Kart Wii
2. de Blob
1. No More Heroes

Honorable Mentions:

We Cheer
Wii Fit
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Zoo Hospital

WTF Game of the year:

Imagine Monkeyz
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »
I can't mention Mario Kart on my list cuz, like Mario, it's not fair to other games, and it can get in the way of life.

I can't list Brawl cuz I get sick of it easily.  If I play it one night, I don't want to see for at least a month.  It becomes non-fun and non-appealing after 2 hours of sword people and space animals.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »

I don't own No More Heroes because the whole thing reaks of style over substance.  It's made by the Killer 7 guy and not fact alone turned me off of it.

I don't support original games like it's some duty.  I support games that catch my interest.  A new IP still has to catch my interest.  The Wii gets pathetic third party support so I don't buy many third party exclusives.  Most of them would be minor b-titles on a different console.  They just aren't giving us the stuff that pops out.  Meanwhile Nintendo makes nothing BUT sequels these days, except for their non-games.  Why is my list all sequels?  Because that's all Nintendo gives to core gamers these days.  I really would like to see some new stuff from them that isn't b-level import stuff or a non-game.

I would be more open to some of the quirky third party games on the Wii but the thing is the people that really push them on these forums push EVERYTHING that is even remotely competent.  The Wii (and likely the last few years of the Cube) has created a fanbase that celebrates mediocrity.  When someone lists every competent game they can think of as "must play" Wii third party games I tone it out.  All of it.  Even if something truly worthwhile is hidden in there.

Now if someone who acknowledges that the Wii third party support is unacceptable crap, and by far the worst third party support a market leading console has ever had, then I'm more inclined to take their recommendations.  They recognize the same problems I do so if THEY think some unique new third party IP is great then it must be pretty good.  But "rah rah the Wii is the best Nintendo console ever" people are not going to convince me to buy anything.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
If that's the case, why on earth do you stick around?

Go someplace that has a more compatible line of thinking, like GameFaqs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:41:47 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
I don't own No More Heroes because the whole thing reaks of style over substance.

Your favorite game this year is GUITAR HERO...

Now if someone who acknowledges that the Wii third party support is unacceptable crap, and by far the worst third party support a market leading console has ever had, then I'm more inclined to take their recommendations.

So you only take recommendations from people who hate the Wii, got it...

I'd personally recommend taking hints from people that enjoy games, but whatever...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:52:05 PM by Bill Aurion »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
I don't own No More Heroes because the whole thing reaks of style over substance.  It's made by the Killer 7 guy and not fact alone turned me off of it.

Did you notice that the game is on almost everyone's top 5 list?  Maybe you should reconsider judging games before you've given them a fair chance.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
He doesn't give chances until the gaming media recommends it.