Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 422576 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #1275 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
I have to disagree with whoever wrote that, Japanese boxarts are NOT usually better than ours. Sometimes they are, usually they are worse IMO.

Yeah, I've never understood how the Western tendency to focus on more complex images makes them "worse" and the Eastern tendency to focus on minimalistic images makes them "better".  Sometimes the Japanese covers are better, but a lot of times they're about equal or worse IMO.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 06, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
Holy crap @ Japanese box art.  It's more than you think.

Wow.  I may have to import a copy just for the slip cover.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1277 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
Yeah, I've never understood how the Western tendency to focus on more complex images makes them "worse" and the Eastern tendency to focus on minimalistic images makes them "better".

It's because some people like minimalism more than complexity.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
and some people need at least three samus on a cover, or at least 2  ^.^

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 07, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
I usually prefer Japanese cover art because often it looks more like it's supposed to be artistic while North American cover art usually looks like an ad.  The North American art is to grab your attention at the store but doesn't look so nice on your shelf at home.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Well, seeing as how a lot of gamers (myself included) tend to either stack their games or put them on a shelf like books the cover is very rarely seen anyway. Don't get me wrong... its nice to have a good looking cover, but in the scheme of things it ranks pretty low as far as what actually matters with a game.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1281 on: September 07, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
Same here, the only time I ever actually see the front of the box is when I am getting the disc out (or putting it in). That's why I laugh when I hear someone say they would pay more for the non-Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits box.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 07, 2010, 02:48:32 PM »
You mean you guys don't frame and mount all of your video game cases on the wall? You should really give it a try! Nothing impresses a girl more than to see that hanging in the living room. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:10 AM »
In sector 1 far off to the right side of the map there is a room with a missile upgrade just sitting up on the balcony with a door right behind it. Another door is locked and I can not find the entrance to that balcony. I imagine it would be the very last upgrade one would get in Sector 1. Far off to the right end of the map, in the room right after the final save station. Any help?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 09, 2010, 02:30:05 AM »
Two words about western box art:  Angry Eyes.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 09, 2010, 03:48:24 AM »
I would display my boxes and cases if I had a space and setup that would allow it. I've been trying to think of some way to display them, since I have them I figure I might as well get some sort of use out of them if I can.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 09, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
In sector 1 far off to the right side of the map there is a room with a missile upgrade just sitting up on the balcony with a door right behind it. Another door is locked and I can not find the entrance to that balcony. I imagine it would be the very last upgrade one would get in Sector 1. Far off to the right end of the map, in the room right after the final save station. Any help?

The entrance you're looking for is in the room with the staircase and broken glass enclosure several rooms in.

Just an FYI to fellow OCDs, there is one missile tank that you can't get until you defeat the Bonus boss in the post-game content.  That's your only chance to grab it, so make sure it's the last one you have to get before you fight that bonus boss.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:13:41 AM by broodwars »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1287 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »

The entrance you're looking for is in the room with the staircase and broken glass enclosure several rooms in.

Just an FYI to fellow OCDs, there is one missile tank that you can't get until you defeat the Bonus boss in the post-game content.  That's your only chance to grab it, so make sure it's the last one you have to get before you fight that bonus boss.

Incorrect! Caterkiller, I had problems with that exact same missile tank. Go back to the quarter-circle room where you fought the Treeosaur. Go the left side of the room--you'll find a metal path on the floor. Use the speed boost on that path away from the camera--you'll smash through the wall, which leads into the mysterious door.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »

Incorrect! Caterkiller, I had problems with that exact same missile tank. Go back to the quarter-circle room where you fought the Treeosaur. Go the left side of the room--you'll find a metal path on the floor. Use the speed boost on that path away from the camera--you'll smash through the wall, which leads into the mysterious door.

Damn, I was referring to the missile tank on the balcony in the main sector.  I forgot that "Sector 1" specifically refers to the jungle environment.   :P:

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 09, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Both of you gave valuable information! I had a feeling about that "ungettable" missile tank, figured  that was it. Thanks guys!

Also I am having a blast searching for everything after the credits role. I don't mind that the story unlocks new abilities but it would have been nice if some "real" abilities not used for the story were hidden about. Though I don't hate the new system I would rather search for new power ups, or even get them from bosses like the prime games did.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:13:35 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1290 on: September 09, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Yeah. As it stands, you only get upgrades from two mini-bosses: the Diffusion Beam and the (usless) Seeker Missiles.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 09, 2010, 10:07:01 PM »
Jesus, the boss battle with the Metroid Queen is a bitch.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
I had to watch a YouTube video of that boss fight just so I could understand what I had to do.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 09, 2010, 11:31:08 PM »
Yeah. As it stands, you only get upgrades from two mini-bosses: the Diffusion Beam and the (usless) Seeker Missiles.
Can you even use the Seeker Missile outside of the few doors that require it?

After I figured out what to do, I thought it was somewhat easy. I thought the most difficult boss was easily Ridley, though that's partly due to how wild the camera is in that fight.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1294 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »
Can you even use the Seeker Missile outside of the few doors that require it?

You sure can. As long as there are multiple enemies in front of you, just charge the Super Missile, and it automatically selects nearby enemies to dispose of, too.  Works really well!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 10, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »
Well, my copy of the game finally arrived in the mail today. Tomorrow I will start it and finally begin to experience what all of you have been experiencing for the last week and a half.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 10, 2010, 09:08:41 AM »
I had to watch a YouTube video of that boss fight just so I could understand what I had to do.

I'm slightly convinced that this game has secret Wii Speak functionality and the only way to defeat the boss is to yell out enough profanities.

After I figured out what to do, I thought it was somewhat easy. I thought the most difficult boss was easily Ridley, though that's partly due to how wild the camera is in that fight.

Really?  I thought Ridley (spoiler space) was pretty straight forward.  It was a long battle, but not too difficult.  In fairness, the Metroid Queen herself wasn't that hard - it was those fickin' Metroid mo-fo's all dodging my shots and stuff.  The fight scene looked pretty cool, though.

Question, though: If Metroids hatch (and they do, we saw the eggs) why the heck are they being ejected from the Queen's back like spores from a plant or some crap?  Does she carry them around like a Kangaroo?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1297 on: September 10, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
I don't think Metroids HAVE a canonical breeding method. They hatch from eggs in Metroid 2, Other M, and Corruption. They are incubated in brood pouches in Echoes, and they reproduce via fission in Prime and Corruption.

It's annoying.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #1298 on: September 10, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
Metroids were artificially created lifeforms, if I'm not mistaken, but given their high rate of mutation it's unsurprising they would have demonstrated multiple methods of reproduction.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 10, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »
Even on Earth there are lifeforms capable of multiple forms of reproduction. Amongst alien life the sky is the limit. So don't try to nitpick it too much.
is your sanity...