Author Topic: Designing a Metroid Game Within Super Mario Maker  (Read 1336 times)

Offline JusDBerube

• King Nintendo Fanboy
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Designing a Metroid Game Within Super Mario Maker
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:23:03 PM »

The King Nintendo Fanboy decided that it wasn't enough to make a simple stage.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/41232/designing-a-metroid-game-within-super-mario-maker

It's no secret that Super Mario Maker is the game I've been waiting all year for. I love Mario and I've always wanted to try making levels in a game. So after doing one simple stage, I decided to do something more complex for my second. I attempted to recreate the original Metroid within Super Mario Maker to the best of my ability. I call the end result Metroid: Negative Mission.

This Feature is broken up into several parts. At first I describe the stage structure to hopefully give you a better idea as to what my design process was like. Then I discuss the lessons that I learned while designing this micro adventure. After that I describe the satisfaction that can come from making a good stage. For Metroid fans, I also point out some of the many hidden references in this stage. Finally, I have a little guide that tells players about all the secrets that can be found within the stage.

I highly recommend playing the stage before continuing, but if you can't here is a video of someone playing though it for context.

Metroid Negative Mission (3.0)

Level Code: DD27-0000-0072-EBA3

(I also came up with this instruction manual for the adventure too.)

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Designing a Metroid Game Within Super Mario Maker
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
So in order to get an article about how we made our level, do we have to be a staff member or does it just have to be a work of art?

Either way, challenge accepted. You've put in an absurd amount of work, so I salute you.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TheXenocide

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Designing a Metroid Game Within Super Mario Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »
I want to buy this game just to play this level!!!