Author Topic: Wii, Mario Pass Sales Milestones in Japan  (Read 10047 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Wii, Mario Pass Sales Milestones in Japan
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
"They are selling a product I am not interested in buying, so I root for their failure."

"They are trying to steer gaming into a direction I do not agree with (that of genre monoculture, higher prices and tons of hidden costs) and the longer they live the more will follow their direction."

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »
As long as Nintendo doesn't follow suit, then why do you care?  Once again, you're not their customer. 

Also, if you think a gaming industry where all of Nintendo's competition has gone out of business is a good thing, well then clearly we're far far far apart.  We don't need one company who is resistant to change as the only one putting out product.   Video games serve a wide variety of consumers.  I'm perfectly happy with simply not buying that which doesn't interest me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:34:35 AM by NWR_DrewMG »
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »
As long as Nintendo doesn't follow suit, then why do you care?

Because newly created companies will follow the lead they see. If all they see is higher prices, more exploitation and genre monoculture they will perpetuate it, if they see diverse, creative titles that are actually made to be games instead of "cinematic experiences" and don't try to nickel and dime you to death then that's what they will do. There will never be a Nintendo monopoly, dying third parties will make room for new third parties that follow the new philosophy.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
Your statement implies that video games cannot be designed to be games and also be satisfying cinematic experiences.  Likewise, you suggest that the industry is better off without that type of experience.  Personally, I don't want a gaming industry that follows your lead, and I know I'm not alone.  You take away my Ico, my Shadow of the Colossus and you replace them with Pokemon and I'm out.

Do you think Nintendo is not trying to nickel-and-dime you?  Maybe they're not trying to do that via DLC, but the Wii is certainly priced higher than it needs to be considering what is actually inside the box.  Is removing a GBA slot and adding two incredibly low quality cameras really worth an extra $40 on the DS price-tag?  If you compare downloadable game prices on Wii vs. Xbox and PS3, the Wii pricing is far less consumer friendly. 

Nintendo has no interest in saving you money unless it makes them money.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
Once again, I'm not suggesting that you should buy games that don't appeal to you, but this whole "rooting against the evil of the industry" is really silly.  I'm not interested in Wii Music, but I'm not rooting against Nintendo.  If they can sell a jillion copies of a game I don't care about, well good for them!  It gives them more money to make games that I might like afterall. 

At the end of the day though, they're a company, just like Microsoft and Sony.  They look out for THEIR interests first.  Nintendo is not some non-profit organization dedicated to improving video games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:57 PM »
Many people believed that NSMBW wouldn't sell well because it's a 2D game on a home console and the conventional wisdom is that home consoles need 3D.

I don't think console games need to be 2D, but if the game is 2D then perhaps it could just as easily have been done on the DS. But from Nintendo's perspective putting it on the Wii makes sense because 1) the DS already has NSMB and 2) the Wii needs more games, and especially A+ games such as this.

So I don't think it needed to be on the Wii, but it is better that it is for the sake of the Wii's sales and its future.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
So I don't think it needed to be on the Wii, but it is better that it is for the sake of the Wii's sales and its future.
NSMBW has given me an excuse to play console games nowadays when I'm busy with other stuff.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
Not to take away from the impressive numbers posted by New Super Mario Brothers, but does anyone else feel a bit saddened that in one week the game matched the lifetime sales of Super Mario Galaxy?

While Galaxy is undoubtably the more creative and innovative title I'm happy NSMB Wii outsold it.  For years we've been told that 2D belongs on portables.  I hate that.  I hate how today's consoles are capable of beautiful 2D games and yet we're stuck playing on a tiny screen with sound coming out of tiny speakers.  The whole thing never made any sense.  2D is not out-dated, it's just different.  2D and 3D should be able to co-exist.  So this is a victory for those that want 2D to be treated equally with 3D.  NSMB may not be as innovative as SMG but it may end up being more influencial.  If it starts a trend of 2D games being common again on consoles then gaming as a whole will benefit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:43:53 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »
So far, Nintendo benefits.

WHERE IS MAH CASSLEBANIA: REBURF?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Nintendo clearly went all-out for Galaxy but NSMBW deserves to sell better? That's dimensional bias.

What is happening to this gen?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
Galaxy is great, but in terms of game design, NSMBWii shows why 2-D Mario gaming set the standard for great Mario gameplay. Some of Galaxy's challenges you could easily sleepwalk through. NSMBWii requires an ability to adapt to the challenges in each stage and skill.

NSMBWii will not only beat Galaxy in terms of sales, but in great game design. Hows that for a 2-D Mario game?
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?