Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 96915 times)

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #475 on: November 17, 2004, 02:58:17 AM »
all good to hear, but so far none of you have delivered real impressions
well, take your time (not too much)  and enjoy it, then come back and report
LZ 2005

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2004, 05:03:51 AM »
Impressions Impressions Impressions....

The game is simply amazing.  The controls are all the same as the original.  As for changes i've noticed, the Scan Visor is improved.  When you wear it, there aren't little red or orange squares on things.  Anything that can be scanned glows blue, red or green.  blue and red being items not scanned(red for logbook or to activate things), and green for things that you have scanned.  This makes it very convenient to walk around with the visor on, and just know that things have been scanned and need not be worried about.  i've got high jump boots, bombs and missles.   The story seems to come together pretty well.  the two worlds are out of phase, but some things are half in each.  The dark enemies can be kind of a pain.  They are definately more difficult than you are used to seeing early in a game.  Some graphic items have changed slightly.  The Ship is a little more streamlined with hover things underneath instead of jets.  Item pickups are slightly different.

and for my only complaint.  It's stupid but it's bothering me.  I get stuck in doorways.  not like stuck where i have to quit out of the game, but just stopped for a second and have to jump to move again.  it's happened to me about a half dozen times, and i think i'm about a fifth of the way through the game(judging by the logbook).  but i'm not sure how many doors it happened in (it might have all been the same door..).

just a sidenote.  i started a new game of MP this summer because i hadn't beaten it yet, and was stuck somewhere and could figure out where to go in my old game.  i got to the end, tried to beat Metroid Prime once and died.  didn't touch it till yesterday before my brother got home with MP2, i decided it needed to be beaten before i played 2.  it took me 2 tries but i did it.  I spent most of my first run yestereday looking for patterns, not really trying to do any damage.  i found 'em, absolutely cleaned house on the second run.  but i only got 98%!!!  arggh!    

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
    • View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2004, 06:19:29 AM »
Yay EB gets it today! I'm picking up mine in a little bit! I better go do my homework first...ah screw I'll play MP2 all night!! HAHAHA!!
Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

What the hell? An Aezbit?!? PRESS L+R+B TO REBOOT SYSTEM!!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 17, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »
Impressions, because once again I have class.

Before I start, I just want to mention I have no idea what enigma is talking about with the "stuck in doorways" thing. Mine works fine... not a hitch.

Anyway.

So far, I'm still finishing up the first area of the game -   Just got light beam and 3 keys. Damn, Dark Samus is fun to fight. .

This game is just beautiful. I've been playing for at least 6 hours and I've loved every minute of it, easily on par with Metroid Prime 1, which may I mention again is my favorite game of all time. I have no idea what the reviewers were on about, bitching about difficulty... I haven't died yet. The difficulty is perfectly fine so far... challenging without being frustrating, and not so easy it's a chore. I'm expecting it to ramp up soon and I'm prepared to meet it head-on with my newly upgraded arsenal.

I love the whole dark world/light world thing. It's what made LttP my favorite Zelda game and I'm really enjoying it here. It's fun seeing the differences between light and dark world... the map is pretty much the same in both worlds, but the content of each room is changed... dramatically in most cases.

I'd go into more detail... there's stuff I'm itching to tell you guys about... but it's all spoiler material so I'll let you find out on your own.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2004, 10:08:55 AM »
thanks paladin, thanks enigma, great impressions further comforting me about my preorder
i consider myself lucky that I will soon get to devote myself to this peace of art
and Im not so sad about missing out on halo 2 and san andreas
LZ 2005

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2004, 10:37:46 AM »
my brother bought san andreas.  you're not missing anything.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2004, 04:51:34 PM »
Well I got the game today and I LOVE IT! My complaints? I would wish the menu things were more fluid when moving them because they seem quite slow and heavy. Oh I forgot one thing, I hate the dark aether because it gives the creeps out of me and I almost lost a good 30 min of exploring because I was trying to explore where there was no light, geez it's pretty tough that area.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2004, 06:23:22 PM »
I've died about 3 times now, at a boss, until I figured out his weak point and killed him.

I also almost died (<10 health) with a save point 2 seconds away and enemies hot on my tail. Made it by a hair's breadth. Good thing too, almost lost an hour's progress. Adrenaline rush left me tingling for a while afterwards...

This is exactly how the difficulty should be. I couldn't be happier.

I got the super missile and the emerald translator now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2004, 08:42:27 PM »
Hey Paladin, did you get the 1st art gallery from getting 40% scans? I wonder how many of those are there.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2004, 08:44:27 PM »
Yeah, long time ago. Pretty cool.  There were 4 in the first game... no idea if that's the case here, but then again you got the first one at 50 in the first game, not 40.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #485 on: November 18, 2004, 06:04:38 PM »
Neverminding where I am in the game, the sequence where the Federation Troopers are attacked by the Ing horde is not generated in real-time.  It's a pre-recorded 60fps FMV with high-quality video compression.  The compression artifacts became apparent after capturing video of the scene.

I really liked the sequence of "minibosses" early in the game.  The way they led to the Dark Agon boss fight by gradually wetting my appeitite made the Amorbis encounter feel wonderfully grand.  "whoa... whoa... Whoa.... HOLY S----------!!"  Amazing stuff.

:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 18, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »
DAMN YOU ALL!!!
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 19, 2004, 12:53:05 AM »
AH, WHAT KINDA FREAK ALIEN LANGUAGE IS THAT.
LZ 2005

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 19, 2004, 01:48:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
DAMN YOU ALL!!!

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:23 AM »
You know Prof. 666, I love your signature.  Eversince I first heard them say that in the game "Metroids are not pets" I thought it was hilarious.  The fact that people would try to either pet the animals or put them on their laps when their lonely is outrageous.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2004, 08:24:37 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty funny. Right up there with the unfortunate morphball experiment accidents in MP1.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 19, 2004, 11:13:22 AM »
There was a question about the sales of MP2 over at IGNcube, and Matt said that he wouldnt be suprised if MP2 didnt sell as well as the first.  Its amazing that Halo 2 sold 2 million copies already.  The N64 may not have had as many games as gamecube, but the big games sold millions and millions of copies, I wonder why gamecubes big titles arent selling as well?
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #492 on: November 19, 2004, 11:23:48 AM »
Oh heck yeah.  Great way to sneak in some comedy, Retro.  Seeing the little buggers twitch and bang on their containment cells kinda drives home the fact they should STAY in there.

Morphball experiments:  "Subjects were horribly broken."
BROKEN?!  HAHAHA.  It's not everyday you hear that adjective applied to a [semi]humanoid being.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 19, 2004, 05:42:59 PM »
Hey, has anyone seen this new commercial for MP2 where there is this girl that is sorrowing from her break-up from this guy and the cause was because he spent all his time playing MP2? I found it hilarious. It looks like it was made from the same company that made that Paper Mario (I think it was) commercial where there is this father and mom telling that they heard their son talking about mushrooms and that he changed from when he was a little kid, in the end they didn't know what even Nintendo was and they were almost crying. Another hilarious commercial, I say! Btw, these commercials were broadcasted here in Canada, were they in the US?

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2004, 01:33:46 PM »
Let me just say, I'm about 40% into this game Fortress and it's already clear that this is my new favorite game ever.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 20, 2004, 01:51:30 PM »
Is it really that good, wow, im amazed, anyone else to support Paladins "OUTRAGEOUS" claim???
LZ 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2004, 02:05:29 PM »
Probably not, but I don't care. It isn't even a contest for me, I love this game THAT much and it just keeps getting better.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 21, 2004, 01:25:20 AM »
well, if its anywhere near as good as its predecessor, im happy, for all I care it could be the same game with new story and levels, and It would be enough for me
LZ 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 21, 2004, 12:34:35 PM »
"for all I care it could be the same game with new story and levels, and It would be enough for me"

That's the same attitude I had going in. If you're anything like me you definitely won't be disappointed.

About the galleries... I've unlocked 3 now... there's one at 40, 60 and 80%, and probably another at 100.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 21, 2004, 03:57:45 PM »
Does anybody have the numbers for a save for this game yet?  The first needed 2 (one for the file and one for writing space.  Check it out on your Animal Crossing card.  You need 2 blocks free, even though the file is only 1 block).  I just realized that Prime had some of the best saving thus far, and was curious how similar Echoes was.