Author Topic: METROID PRIME 2  (Read 98208 times)

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #500 on: November 21, 2004, 08:07:25 PM »
Well, so you all know, I broke down and bought this earlier today.  Can't play much yet, as I left my memory card at my dorm, but it's definitely awesome, and I'll be joining in with spoiler tags soon enough

*is ver' happy*
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #501 on: November 21, 2004, 08:09:40 PM »

Originally posted by: MattVDB
Does anybody have the numbers for a save for this game yet?  The first needed 2 (one for the file and one for writing space.  Check it out on your Animal Crossing card.  You need 2 blocks free, even though the file is only 1 block).  I just realized that Prime had some of the best saving thus far, and was curious how similar Echoes was.

Echoes is listed as "3 Blocks" in my mem-card menu.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 22, 2004, 08:06:21 AM »
only 2-3 more days until my game arrives, I CANT WAIT
LZ 2005

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
    • View Profile
RE: METROID PRIME 2
« Reply #503 on: November 22, 2004, 09:16:34 AM »
What the hell? An Aezbit?!? PRESS L+R+B TO REBOOT SYSTEM!!
Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 22, 2004, 09:48:44 AM »
Hehe...

You might want to spoiler that.

Cool though, no?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 22, 2004, 12:41:33 PM »
Heh, well it doesn't give away story or anything ^_^

Do you guys just highlight it black?

TESTING
Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 22, 2004, 12:43:38 PM »
(spoiler)text(/spoiler)

Replace ( ) with [ ]
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Eminem

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 22, 2004, 05:11:47 PM »
*Ending Spoilers*

I'm not too fond of the new Samus. I just beat the game with 81% of the items. They reveal Samus but she looks like the one from Zero Mission, which is really dumb on their part. It makes Samus look like a kid. Well, I'm going to start Hard mode and go for 100%.

*End Spoilers*
I'm Infinite

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 23, 2004, 07:50:59 AM »
nice job there "eminem"
now that was a major spoiler
and when you write "ending spoiler" before you write the spoiler
that makes it even worse
LZ 2005

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 24, 2004, 10:59:10 PM »
I've beaten the game now.

I stand by my earlier assertion. Favorite game ever, by far. I love this game to death.

I'm going to start again and 100% it this time.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 25, 2004, 12:11:47 AM »
Isn't it possible with your last save to go and do 100% without playing it again? Don't get me wrong, I will play this game again many times but it's just that I want to get 100% on my first try, I've got around 85% in scans and 76% in items btw.

I thought it was wierd that the dark bosses in this game were always harder than Dark Samus, heck even for me Quadraxis was the easiest of the guardians and still I thought Dark samus was easier. The most I lost too (5 times) was against the boost guardian.  

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 25, 2004, 05:19:34 AM »
Got the game, beat it, loved it.

I'm rating it somewhere around a lower 90's score.  There are a few things that I just really disliked with the game.  Mainly the unnecessary amount of Keys.  (4 translation keys, 9 "temple" keys and 9 more keys to the final area?  it was just a stupid pain when the only thing in your way was a door you couldn't get past).  

Overall though, the game was incredible.. The boss fights are what stole the show for me, which is the last thing i expected from a metroid game.    

I could say more, but i'll just go back to playing baten kaitos.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 25, 2004, 10:13:15 AM »
you lucky bunch, my overseas copy still hasnt arrived,
well, thanks for all the impressions im glad you enjoyed it
and keep your hopes up for Revolutions incredible MP3
LZ 2005

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 25, 2004, 10:39:20 AM »
I ordered a PAL Copy, it was posted to arrive tomorrow on [or the day after] the release date.

I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime becomes a trilogy, but MP3 coming out either smack at the very end of Cube's life [To possibly allow for a new Retro game?] or somewhere on Revolution.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 28, 2004, 12:51:00 AM »
Got the game yesterday, and im already stuck in one ot the most stupid places.

Right at the beginning, just after you get the missile, theres this room with some bee hives, and this wall which you have to shoot, which I did, but it just got fractured and nothing happened, and I couldnt find anything to scan to activate the morph ball cannon

so thanks in advance if you can help
LZ 2005

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 28, 2004, 03:09:32 AM »
allright i managed, nevermind

anyway, great game, feels awesome and familiar (only about 2%in the game now) but
also has a great new feel to it

the setting seems more interactive and the mission more urgent, and I like that theres more story tied in this time
only thing that bothers me is that the logs from soldiers etc have to be read in the menu, I cant bother to do that, because I dont want to interrupt the game everytime I scan a new log

or am I doing something wrong?
LZ 2005

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 28, 2004, 04:49:01 AM »
Press Start at the end of the 'pre-scan' when it says 'data downloaded to log book yadda yadda.' While you're still holding L.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 28, 2004, 08:01:10 AM »
thanks, that makes it much more pleasant

AWESOME GAME
LZ 2005

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 28, 2004, 08:17:48 AM »
My cousin had rented this game, so we were playing some deathmatch when we got together for thanksgiving.  I have to say, its pretty unique.  I like the fact that you dont die so incredibly fast that you cant get a few shots off against your opponent.  I also like how it really takes advantage of Samus abilities.  Morph ball can definately help you get away, all the weapons upgrades, and secret area's.  I am very excited to get this game.  I already knew the single player game would rock, but the multi-player is very fun.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 28, 2004, 08:26:57 AM »
I havent played multiplayer yet, but if you say its so fun I ought to give it a try
LZ 2005

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2004, 10:07:16 AM »
I tried out multiplayer yesterday, it's very fun when everyone playing is experienced with the controls.

I was debating with a friend who recently bought Half Life 2 [and doesn't own any consoles], he thought that not having manual aim takes away from the experience of multiplayer. While to a point I agree, Retro did a good job at balancing the levels and power-ups and making most powerups temporary while keeping the lock on mechanic integral. The emphasis in "Metroid Multiplayer" shifted from accuracy to strategy.

In single player, I like the way how AI are a lot more aggressive. There is more umph to them. I'm only 15% in.

Is it me or has the world "unravelled" quicker compared to Prime?

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2004, 12:54:41 PM »
I agree that Prime's multi-player focus is more on strategy, which is what really makes it so great.  With alot of games these days, its all about accuracy.  I think its differant enough from whats out there, that most players will find it a very rewarding experience.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2004, 10:34:32 PM »
Non spoilerific impressions.

Short Version:
Wow

Longer Version:
After avoiding anything on the internet regarding this game for a long while, I have finally gotten the chance to play it.  I avoided the demo as well, because I wanted to know little, as that is what I believe makes up a Metroid game.

I started a game for the first time, with a crowd of Metroid fans watching, and I plowed through the introduction.  Phases like "Now THAT'S an elevator" and "HOLY cow" were quite frequent.  Simply amazing.  After the intro was done, I quit, as I did not have a blank memory card around.

So, we went and started a round of multiplayer.  Not expecting much, I was blown away.  The four of us playing are more then adequate when it comes to gaming, and we had an absolute blast.  It was a shame this mode revealed powerups from later in the game, as I would have much rather discovered them for myself.  A warning to those who want to play a "pure" metroid game, avoid the multi player until you have finished the single.  Beams and upgrades at least are revealed in this mode.  It makes it metroidy, yes, but it kills this single player experience some knowing some of the not before seen upgrades you are getting.

For the record, I haven't finished the game, so I can't offer a full review, but I am nearing completion, so I feel these to be accurate impressions.

The boss battles thus encountered are awesome.  The last one I fought was just "eh", but the others were AMAZING.  I beat the second to last boss in prime (MR) with 7 health on my first try left 2 years ago.  The adrenaline was unparalleled in gaming up to then.  These bosses aren't cut that close, but offer a very similar challenge, experience, and thrill.  BIG plus.  The music after each boss is also so cool as well, it is hard for me not to rate the game highly due to just that.

The load times are still seamless, but not so much masked anymore.  Where as elevators were used as loading spots before, there are additional forms of loading spots now, and they can get fairly tedious.  That would be the biggest complaint I can level at it thus far.  None of the objectives or puzzles would seem tedious or boring if it wasn't for those, but as it is, I can see how people can and will be annoyed.

Suffice it to say, my brother loathed Prime.  He is a big Metroid fan, but didn't like the atmosphere of the other game claiming it to be "Not Metroidy _enough_".  Ironically, contrary to what most reviews have said, he has fallen in love with this game.  I have not heard one bad word from him about it come out in the time I have had it.  

Awesome game.  Recommended on a whim.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 29, 2004, 06:11:10 AM »
it seems as though very few people on this board, actually bought the game, which I find very dissapointing
prove me wrong, please
LZ 2005

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 29, 2004, 09:47:18 AM »
I bought it and absolutely loved it.  Haven't used a strategy guide or any help and still able to progress without messing up.  I love the Spider Guardian, he's just so hilarious makes me happy  I agree about the elevators.  Everytime I watch them I am still amazed how great they are.  Overall, I'd say this game is more creepy than the frist one.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]