Author Topic: Project Café Game Concepts  (Read 16758 times)

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Project Café Game Concepts
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:45 AM »

The NWR staff put their idea caps on.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26422

On June 7, at E3 2011, Nintendo will reveal their next console, apparently codenamed Project Café.

With so many rumours flying around the Internet, it should be assumed that most of them are untrue. However, there is one rumor that keeps resurfacing: the controller features a built-in touch screen with a button setup similar to a GameCube controller.

With that rumor in mind (and until we see it it remains a rumor), the NWR staff brainstormed ideas for the next generation of Nintendo games, focussing on this unique control method. 

Of course this is all speculation for now, in no way is this confirming features of the system or games. At this point we’re in the dark as much as you and are anxiously anticipating some (any!) of these ideas to come true.

Over the next week or so we will post our ideas and some mock-ups that we hope will illustrate these ideas. We highly encourage you to join in with your own additional ideas on the games mentioned in the talkback thread below.

Without further ado, I'd like to present my ideas for the next console Mario Kart game – let the speculation begin!

I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Project Cafe Game Concepts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:50:34 AM »
A very Cinematic Devil May Cry Style game with a little bit of Character indication that something is wrong but the Hud moved to the controller making for a very Cinimatic presentation If I could play WoW without the Hud I would but I'm not that good.

Super Duper Scribblenauts.

A versus Puzzle game where each person has a puzzle on their respective screen that manipulates their vs entity on the main screen.

All the GBA Connection Games.

A platformer that you played on the big screen but the little screen would have bubbles you had to pop, or something similar, before it leaves your little screen and effects the big screen characters.  Later on some of those will be good and needed, making it hectic.

A Good RTS, Though for Kicks and giggles StarCraft2

Elite Beat Agents Super Awesome Extended Cafe Edition :D

Simon Says, Dut. Dut Dot. Dut Dot Dut.  Dut Dot Dut Dop.  Dut Dot Dut Dop Dop.

Mario Party Mini Game Vs.

Pokemon Stadium.  Literally, Pokemon Stadium.

<Put in generic play based Sports game here.>

Gauntlet.

Warioware minigame game.

You know if it has motion sensing and knows where the TV is than a game where you can bring the screen up like your looking through it and it acts as a detector of sort, like an Xray or MMR.

A Dora game that is an exact reproduction of the episodes because, Dora is really a TV Show about a PC Game.  So the three items show up on the big and little screen.  Where you need to point.  You could do the voice interaction through a microphone.  It be a solid game for kids.

Elite Beat Agents.. Oh wait.

Super Mario Time Trials.  This would be a versus games that takes levels from Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, Land and pits players in speed runs agains each other.  The big Screen would be used to do an announcer style cut to each of the competitors as its going and verbally mentioning how well the players are doing.  Also have stats etc.  The players themselves would be playing through the level on their own screen.  At the end of a round the winner would be declared on the screens and the big screen would show "ghosts" of each player running through the level.

And RPG with Mini-game style combat, think Mario RPG, done on the touch screen for special attacks etc.  Be turn base but allow for people to jump in and take extra characters to move battles faster.  So with 4 players everyone would control and  do the minigames for a character.  With 2 then each person be responsible for 2 characters.  Then with one obviously they be doing each of the characters each turn and their mini-games.

A racing game with a Hot Potato type Mechanic.  So you be racing like F-Zero with friends but you need too keep this ball that shows up on your screen in play between each other or it will weigh down maybe damage your racer.

A gaming feature a Goo based main character which you can shape on your controller to get through different obstacles as you go on the fly.

Angry Bird Vs.  It be Angry Birds with a versus mode where each player get a puzzle on their screen. :P: :

I'm going to stop there.

LOL, I thought you were asking for concepts well.  You got them anyway.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:57:54 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline 4-D

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Project Café Game Concepts
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
Great ideas. If only Nintendo took suggestions from their fans!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
I agree about taking suggestions, but if they only used fan suggestions we'd have a realistic 2D Mario plat former instead of instead of the amazing Super Mario Galaxy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
Chou Soujuu Mecha MG.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
Chou Soujuu Mecha MG.
lol, I just listened to Greg Recommend this on RFN.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »
Steel Diver HD.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
I love the idea of using the controller screen as an item screen in offline multiplayer matches.  The use of having a rear view mirror may not be nesessary if there are warnings on the screen or that annoying sound that plays through your controller when you're being attacked.

Being asked to go online when friends are playing would be cool, but let's hope Nintendo isn't still living in the past.

Well, anyway, Cafe's controller better have rumble.  It makes no sense why only PS3's and 360's controller have rumble, but Nintendo's Classic Controllers doesn't.

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
I agree about taking suggestions, but if they only used fan suggestions we'd have a realistic 2D Mario plat former instead of instead of the amazing Super Mario Galaxy.
Or Metroid Prime 2 would have multiplayer....oh.
That's the good thing about suggestions, you can ignore the crazy ones and use the good ones. (or not)

I agree with Ceric that ALL GBA connection games have to be re-released, preferably as "CafeWare" downloadable titles.
$10 for Pacman Versus would be a steal. A $40/50 disk would be insulting.

Also, look out for Pedro's concept on that very topic, coming soon...
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
with a button setup similar to a GameCube controller.

This is something I am really truly relieved to hear. Of course, its still just a rumor at this point, but even being a rumor that's still reassuring. I have been very nervous that Nintendo was going to go with the Classic Controller layout and make that permanent. If they return to the GC controller layout that would be awesome.  :)
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 06:22:07 AM »
I would pay $50 for a new Pac-Man Vs. if I had to. That's one of my absolute favorite multiplayer games ever.

J.P. Corbran

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
I'm kinda sick of paying full or near premium prices for old ideas and concepts.  It's become a Nintendo standard, and I've grown tired.

I'd rather have new ideas or improvements on the series that already exist.

Skyward Sword = YES
Zelda OOT 3DS = NO

Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime 4, New Chibi Robo, New Mario Sports games = Yes
New Play Control anything = NO

I'll go into a fit of rage if Nintendo announces any more ports at E3 outside off the Wiiware/DSiWare and Virtual Console services.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
You don't have to buy them, and the idea that they're making those instead of making new games isn't really what's happening, so I don't see why you care as much as you do.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
Or Metroid Prime 2 would have multiplayer....oh.
That's the good thing about suggestions, you can ignore the crazy ones and use the good ones. (or not)

I agree with Ceric that ALL GBA connection games have to be re-released, preferably as "CafeWare" downloadable titles.
$10 for Pacman Versus would be a steal. A $40/50 disk would be insulting.

Also, look out for Pedro's concept on that very topic, coming soon...
Heaven forbid it but  Retro-collectionist disc with all of them would be nice and worth $50.  Though I really like it to just mimic it if you have a GCN game that uses them

Offline Stardust

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
I love the first Idea James C. puts up, it's sounds unique and awesome, but the only problem I find with the second idea is that lets say you get a star and keep it in reserve, then you get a golden mushroom in reserve also, eventually you can catch up to lets say fourth or fifth place, boom you use your golden mushroom as much as possible, then boom you use your star and then  it just becomes unfair and not fun. The best part about the game is the randomness (not saying this concept couldn't work) but i dont know if it would work out too well.
Bad players mash all the buttons. Good players mash one button.

Live and Let live.

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
You don't have to buy them, and the idea that they're making those instead of making new games isn't really what's happening, so I don't see why you care as much as you do.

Oh, I care, because I bought the Wii especially to play new games.  Instead, about 2/5 of the stuff Nintendo released are games that I've already own on Gamecube, with most of the others being things like WiiFit, Wii Music, and Wii Party.  We've come 5 years without a Wii Zelda, F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Pikmin, Chibi-Robo, and Custom Robo.
  Plus we juuuuuust for a Donkey Kong and Kirby game.

Iwata claims that the Wii was going to be home of more 1st party content, but I guess he wasn't talking to fans of the games that I mentioned.  Instead we get a couple of new games, a bunch of Wii__ games, and seven Gamecube ports (some of them didn't even come to North America).

So, I don't buy them.  That leaves me with very few 1st party games to choose from.  Once Nintendo starts porting old games, everyone else follows.
Zelda OOT 3DS is going to start this mess all over again.  I'm hoping that Zelda OOT fails, maybe this'll get other motivated to create NEW games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
Smited for having a big long list of franchises Nintendo neglected this generation and not mentioning Star Fox.

Also, we had to wait a while for Donkey Kong, but I'd argue it was totally worth it, and then some. Zelda's Zelda, of course it's going to take a while. I'm right there with you in regard to Pikmin, but if the rumors of Cafe are true, it makes sense to push the game to it. The rest of them are fringe series, and as much as I'd love a new Custom Robo or F-Zero, I understand why Nintendo might not be confident enough in those brands to make them.

Plus some of those GameCube rereleases are worth it. The Pikmin games, and especially the Metroid Prime games, really benefit from Wii controls.

J.P. Corbran

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
It was my mistake for not mentioning Star Fox.  It's also something I've wanted to have on Wii, especially since we got one on DS (it actually got me excited to have a console version).

Going back in time, it seems that the SNES (Outside Japan) and Virtua Boy were the only Nintendo consoles to not see at least two Zelda games specifically developed for it (not counting games ported to it).  There's also the CD-i (which saw multiple games, but I'm only focusing on Nintendo Consoles).

NES
 - Legend of Zelda
 - Adventures of Link: Zelda II

Super NES
 -A Link to the Past

Game Boy/Color
 -Link's Awakening
 -Oracle of Seasons
 -Oracle of Ages

Nintendo 64
 -Ocarina of Time
 -Majora's Mask

Game Boy Advance
 -The Minish Cap
 -Four Swords

Gamecube
 -The Wind Waker
 -Four Swords Adventures
 -Twilight Princess

Nintendo DS
 -Phantom Hourglass
 -Spirit Tracks

Wii
 -Link's Crossbow Training
 -.................(that's it so far)

We don't really know for sure if Skyward Sword will ever make it.

Looking at F-Zero, you can see that there's been one on every home console since its birth:

Super NES
 -F-Zero

Nintendo 64
 -F-Zero X

Game Boy Advance
 -F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
 -F-Zero: GP Legend

Gamecube
 -F-Zero GX

Wii
 -................(*sigh*)

For Star Fox:

Super NES
 -Star Fox
 -Star Fox 2 (Cancelled, but at least it was being made.  I guess it doesn't really count.)

Nintendo 64
 -Star Fox 64

Gamecube
 -Star Fox Adventures
 -Star Fox Assault

Nintendo DS
 -Star Fox Command

Wii
 -.............(WTF!?)

For Mario Party

Nintendo 64
 -Mario Party 1
 -Mario Party 2
 -Mario Party 3

Gameboy Advance
 -Mario Party Advance

Nintendo DS
 -Mario Party DS

Gamecube
 -Mario Party 4
 -Mario Party 5
 -Mario Party 6
 -Mario Party 7

Wii
 -Mario Party 8 (the one and only)

Nintendo 64
 -1080 Snowboarding

Gamecube
 -1080 Avalanche

Wii
 -............(I liked the games, but does Nintendo?)

Wave Race

Gameboy
 -Wave Race

Nintendo 64
 -Wave Race 64

Gamecube
 -Wave Race: Blue Storm

Wii
-........... (Ugh!)

Mario Tennis

Nintendo 64
 -Mario Tennis

Gameboy Color
 -Mario Tennis

Gamecube
 -Mario Power Tennis

Gameboy Advance
-Mario Tennis: Power Tour

Wii
 -.............(GC port)

Mario Golf

NES
 -NES Open Tournament Golf (known as Mario Open Golf in Japan)

Nintendo 64
 -Mario Golf

Gameboy Color
 -Mario Golf

Gamecube
 -Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

Gameboy Advance
 -Mario Gold: Advance Tour

Wii
 -...............(Arrgh!)

To me, these games aren't throwaways.  They make up most of what gamers want from Nintendo, which is why the Wii doesn't look so good for many of us.  When 3rd Party support is weak, what else do you turn to, but the Xbox360 and/or PS3.  Still, in my opinion, the Wii is certainly one of my least favorite Nintendo consoles when it comes down to just Nintendo games.

Can you understand how disappointed I am?  Five years later, the Wii is missing a lot of game franchises.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:06:49 PM by JasonMaivia »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
Skyward Sword is certainly coming, and will certainly be a Wii game. It may also be a Cafe game, but it counts as a Wii game, as Twilight Princess counted as a GameCube game. Also, three Mario games (all of them great) beats two Zelda games any day in my book.

I can totally understand why Nintendo isn't sure about what to do with F-Zero, though I think it will be more at home on 3DS and Cafe due to its ability to show off the hardware, something the series has always been good at. With Star Fox I get the feeling from some interviews I've read that Miyamoto wants to make another one, so I think that's just a matter of when.

I like Mario Party and Golf and Tennis, but I'm really not too broken up about the lack of them on Wii.

The reason I love the Wii is that Nintendo has decided, for whatever reason, to pump out platformer after platformer for the thing, and since that's by far my favorite kind of game, I let them slide on everything else. The Galaxies and DKCR are all-time great platformers, and NSMBWii and Wario Land and Kirby's Epic Yarn are all awesome too.

J.P. Corbran

Offline famicomplicated

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 01:08:21 AM »
We didn't get a 2D Mario game or Donkey Kong on the GameCube and only one (average) 3D Mario game, compared to the Wii where we got two excellent ones.
We can't expect everything on every console otherwise it might get stale, let's hope Cafe comes up with the goods for games we haven't seen in a while!
I'll put my votes in for F-Zero, Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding.

You guys got any ideas on what features they would have on P.Cafe, other than the obvious HD visuals?
I am your (Fami)father.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »
Here is my piece for the feature: Four Swords Cafe:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26433
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
Yes, give me Four Swords Adventure Cafe and include the GC version in some capacity.  That is the number one game I want from the Cafe.  I probably won't buy a Cafe until this game is released for it.

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:05:46 AM »
Yes! I would love another Four Swords! I think it would be cool if you also had the option to play online so you would have your own screen and what have you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
This is something I am really truly relieved to hear. Of course, its still just a rumor at this point, but even being a rumor that's still reassuring. I have been very nervous that Nintendo was going to go with the Classic Controller layout and make that permanent. If they return to the GC controller layout that would be awesome.

The Gamecube layout is useless for fighting games.  It's a setup that sounds neat in theory but doesn't really provide much of an advantage and it doesn't work well for some games.  The diamond setup for face buttons is the standard so most games will be made for it.  It doesn't matter if it's not an ideal setup.  QWERTY is not the ideal setup for keyboards but it's the standard so you follow it or your "better" keyboard is borderline useless.

And the thing is Nintendo invented that button setup in the first place so it isn't like they stole it from Sony.  I see the CC not as a Dualshock knock-off but more like Nintendo going back to the standard they invented in the first place.  And it has been the standard for a reason - it is very flexible.  Yes, some other controller layouts might work better for SOME games but then they also don't work well for other games.  But the CC design works well for pretty much everything.  It is not always the best but it never really outright sucks either.  A controller has to be generic enough to work with a lot of different ideas.  The Gamecube controller worked well for games designed specifically for it and like complete balls for everything else.  Due to the wide variety of genres and control schemes out there a generic design is a safer bet.

Four Swords is an obvious but very awesome idea.  It is one of the best Gamecube games.  The only problem is that the hardware requirements for it are insane.  Online play should be an option and I like the idea of also including the original game.  Why not since few got to play it?  Though it seems more Nintendo like to just re-release the Cube game instead of including it as a bonus with a new one.  I would only bother with a new one.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
I'd say the flaw with this idea is that it's assuming that multiple touch screen controllers will be widely accessible. I don't think that will be the case. Considering how much such a controller would cost, it would pretty much create for the same situation the original had. I have a feeling this 'touch screen controller' is going to be more of a standard peripheral, rather than the standard control method. Considering the Wii's success, completely abandoning the remote concept seems like it would be a pretty dumb move on Nintendo's part. It's my guess that a remote will remain the standard controller. And this touch screen device will have more auxiliary-like purposes--  it will allow you to take taking the action with you around the house and/or for acting as multi-functional add on, like occasionally doubling as a keyboard. That being said, I'd only expect it to be widely used for single player experiences, and the console may not even support multiple ones at a time.