Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 720717 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1475 on: October 07, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
Not the missile, Svev, the thing that fires the missile.  You know, you fly around it shooting parts of it off, then fly down the rails deathstar-style dodging arcs of electricity.
GOREGASM!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 07, 2007, 10:35:26 AM »
I know what your talking about Smoke39. I dont' know how to get the bonus there,  I was hoping you were gonna blow it up death star style haha.  but if you have any tips for how to blow up the Polestar bullet thing I would appreciate it.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 07, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
I d'know of any special tricks for shooting it down.  I just shoot it constantly until it starts getting close then start mashing the shoot button to hack it to pieces with my sword.
GOREGASM!

Offline OverHeat

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Official "Virtual Console Mondays" Thread
« Reply #1478 on: October 08, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »
Well, the NeoGeo games hit the channel. The original Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting and World Heroes are all available for download. Has anyone else downloaded Fatal Fury? I am curious because after downloading it, I cant play it! When I start the game, I can hear the sound, but there is no video! If I hit the home key, the screen flashes and the Reset/Wii/Oeration Guide comes up and /then/ I can see the game in the background, but once the home key is pressed, returning me to the game, the video disappears again! Just wondering if anyone else was having this problem.

UPDATE: OK, so I thought the problem might be that these games were not formatted for play in 480p. ( I remember that if you had your GC hooked up with component cables and tried to play a game that was not progressive scan, it wouldn't show up. You had to replug in the normal cables). So I tested two of my GC games that I know arent 480p. They both worked fine. So either Nintendo has taken this problem into account with all things (GC, NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16) and it somehow slipped with the NeoGeo games, or there is a problem with the NeoGeo games period. I gotta get to work, so I will be trying the switch out the cables method when I get back, unless someone beats me to it.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 08, 2007, 05:42:35 AM »

Originally posted by: Nemo
I know NeoGeo has a lot of good fighters, but I'm assuming they're going to release the crappier ones first. So, I'll probably wait.

These first games are crappy if you consider the original Street Fighter 2 "crappy" compared to the newer versions that are out. Crappy to some, classics to others. If you arent actually a fan of these games, then wait for the newer versions. If you ARE a fan of these games (like me) then seeing these once $200 dollar games for $9 is pretty awesome.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #1480 on: October 08, 2007, 06:35:37 AM »
I'm a fan of classic games and newer ones as well. What I'm not a fan of is large amounts of homework and other life responsibilities that take up all my time. If I only have time to play one or two NeoGeo fighters, I just want to play the best.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hold out for better.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 08, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »
"These first games are crappy if you consider the original Street Fighter 2 'crappy' compared to the newer versions that are out."

These first games are crappy if you consider the original Street Fighter 2 AWESOME, which in comparison these feel very dated.  The first post-SFII fighting games usually weren't very good and that includes SNK's games.  Initially it was like companies thought that if you had a bunch of cool characters, gave them all special moves, and had them fight each other it was good enough but Street Fighter II had more subtle depth and later other companies would catch on.  I wouldn't consider these three titles to have been exceptional fighting games even then.  They're still a great value if you remember them and want to get them but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.  The later sequels, however, I would.

They are all better than the first Street Fighter though.  Andy Bogard can brag that he made his first appearance in a better game than Ryu did.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1482 on: October 08, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
I remember back in the day playing World Heroes and I thought the game sucked and was horribly generic and poorly designed.

I also have never enjoyed any of the Art of Fighting series.  None of those games felt to have any depth or design...even the later games.

Now Fatal Fury series I have loved for along time, but I don't remember if the first game was any good.  I think I will wait for the second game to come out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1483 on: October 08, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
Squee!

...Goblin Nabob
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1484 on: October 08, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »

Originally posted by: OverHeat
If you ARE a fan of these games (like me) then seeing these once $200 dollar games for $9 is pretty awesome.

Another way to look at it is that these once $0.25 arcade games are now $9.  Not such a good deal in those terms, is it? And let's be clear, these are very much arcade games in every sense of the word.  World Heroes doesn't even have a built-in pause function!  (You can still pause with the Home button, though.)
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: October 08, 2007, 08:12:03 PM »
That's $0.25 every time you play, though.  If you lose or play 36 times, you've gotten your money's worth in that respect.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 08, 2007, 08:12:19 PM »
Eh? You have to keep paying for arcade games.. plus you'd have to actually go there instead of having the game in the comfort of your home.

And 25 cents now isn't worth nearly as much as it was then.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1487 on: October 09, 2007, 02:19:18 AM »
But if the arcade games were bad, then you might play the game a total of $2-3 dollars worth and then realize it is a bad game and move on.

Which from the sounds of it is exactly what would happen with these games.  Next set of Neo Geo games will be better.  Fatal Fury 2, A Shooter of some sort, and one of the Sports games would be perfect.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 09, 2007, 05:44:37 AM »
On the other hands these days you have to pay 1-2 dollars per credit on most arcade machines.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 09, 2007, 06:02:22 AM »
"On the other hands these days you have to pay 1-2 dollars per credit on most arcade machines."

If you find these games in an arcade today I'd wager they would still only be a quarter.  1-2 dollars is for driving games and stuff like DDR.  The older standard joystick and buttons arcade games don't cost so much.  It's just that they aren't as common in arcades anymore.

World Heroes has a death match I used to really enjoy but World Heroes 2 also has it and it's much better.  Just wait for that.

Offline MilkManX

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 14, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
Anyone else have issues with these games on the Wii?

I downloaded World Heroes since I have AOF and FFBA on my PS2(which both of those collections do this video glitch as well but no the Metal Slug Anth.)

Anyway here is the issue.

Running Wii in component 480p WS to my Sanyo 30" WS CRT HDTV.

World Heroes runs but it has crazy flicker!

I get the same issue when I run the AOF or FF collections on my PS2 in component but what I do is run S-Vid when I play those on the PS2.

IS there some weird emulation that doesnt like my TV? The Metal Slug Anthology on Wii and PS2 runs fine in component.

Wii Friend Code 3896 5966 4421 6752

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 14, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »
All the other VC games have been optimised to run at 480p on the VC, but it looks like NeoGeo games didn't get the same treatment, so you have to play them in SD.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »
Last night I had a 7 hour loving grindfest with Breath of Fire 2. I love RPGs again.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 15, 2007, 03:09:15 PM »
As if I needed more reason to stay away from your game recommendations

Offline LunaticFringe

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 16, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »
I was really happy when I found out BoF2 was on VC O_O

more classic games like that PRZ!

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 20, 2007, 10:50:03 AM »
Eveyone here needs to play The Last Blade 1 or 2 if they release them on the VC. Those were top class fighting games on the neo-geo  

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10:27 PM »
I think I've asked this question before but I don't remember the answer: is it possible to use a foreign credit card for the US VC?
I may want to buy Sin & Punishment, I hate virtual content but since the cart is going for like 30-50 bucks everywhere...
Thanks!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 20, 2007, 12:18:28 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
As if I needed more reason to stay away from your game recommendations

Why you no likey Breath of Fire?

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 20, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
No, I don't like RPGs. Though it isn't a turn-based one, is it?

I think I've asked this question before but I don't remember the answer: is it possible to use a foreign credit card for the US VC?
I may want to buy Sin & Punishment, I hate virtual content but since the cart is going for like 30-50 bucks everywhere...
Thanks!
Well, you could always try, eh? And if that doesn't work, you could ask your American friend for his credit card number, then Paypal him the money or something. If he trusts you enough.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 20, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
No, I don't like RPGs. Though it isn't a turn-based one, is it?

Yeah, BoF2 is a turn-based one, and not an ATB one either, it's turn-based where you select the moves for your entire party and then they execute them, fastest first, in conjunction with your enemies. Something I've always liked about turn-based battles is the little element of management it requires of you: knowing your speeds and your opponen'ts speeds, you have to plan out stuff one or two steps ahead. If your slowest person is also your healer, then you can only heal AFTER some faster enemies get their attacks in, which requires you to play it safer (if a fast person is a healer, you can take care of any emergencies safely earlier in the turn). And of course, if you know if an enemy is uber fast, sometimes you want to take him down first because then you can dominate the early segment of the turn, always trying to kill enemies before they get their turn to attack. And of course, balancing between focusing fire on one guy, attacks that hit all enemies, and knowing the relative damages your team inflicts so that you're not wasting damage on a nearly dead enemy, instead letting a weaker character finish 'em off so you can use your heavy hitter to take down someone with more full health...

... You know, I didn't like SoA OR ToS. I seem to hate modern RPGs. But these SNES era RPGs, for all their flaws... these are the ones that made me an RPGamer before I was a Nintendogamer.