We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.
3DSWii

Episode 8: SAMURAI PIZZA THIEF

by Danny Bivens, James Charlton, and Daan Koopman - January 25, 2012, 10:35 am PST
Total comments: 18

STOP THIEF! That guy's stylishly roller-skating away with an expensive cheese and tomato pizza!

Download in AAC Format

Subscribe to AAC Feed

Download in MP3 Format

Subscribe to MP3 Feed

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)

Newly appointed Famicrew regular Daan Koopman join JC and Danny again as they talk all things Japan!

It's a very rhythmic episode this week, which starts off with some serious talk about Japanese gaming journalism, before Daan movies onto his latest import, Kiki Trick on Wii, a game that might be worth learning Japanese and finding a Japanese friend to play with! Danny then talks about his latest non-eShop purchase, Rhythm Thief R. Is it an accurate portrayal of Parisian life or a crazy anime / Ouendan inspired game that everyone should play? Give it a listen and find out! JC then finds a few things to bitch about with his Annual Gift Man present, Mario Kart 7. Not to knock the big guy with his choice, he just wishes the game was a little more... complete.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy DLC crops up in news, which gives Daan and Danny the chance to talk about how much they love rhythm games. Let's just say Square-Enix's pockets will be pretty full in the next few months thanks to those guys!

The show wraps up with some forum questions being answered, topics include the PS Vita reaction, differences in gibberish and over-priced Japanese pizza! Stop by the Japan thread if you want to ask some questions of your own, or e-mail famicast@nintendoworldreport.com

So strap yourself in, grab your copy of Nintendo Dream - it's Famicast a go-go baby!

This podcast was edited by Danny Bivens.

Music for this episode of The Famicast is used with permission from 8 Bit Weapon. You can purchase their music and shirts from their website 8bitweapon.com

Additional music for this episode of The Famicast is copyrighted to Nintendo, and is included under fair use protection.

Talkback

ejamerJanuary 25, 2012

Best news all day!  Then again, I was sick and/or unconscious for most of the day... so maybe that's not saying much?  Really look forward to hearing the new episode.

CericJanuary 25, 2012

I was misled.
There was no Samurai Pizza Cats.

famicomplicatedJames Charlton, Associate Editor (Japan)January 25, 2012

Radio Trivia: Famicast Edition!

Listen to the episode first then check back here to see how many you guessed right!

1 - Skyward Sword
2 - Picross 3D
3 - Rhythm Thief  the Emperors Treasure
4 - Super Mario Kart SNES - Rainbow Road
5 - Bomberman (NES)
6 - Samurai Pizza Cats
7 - Elite Beat Agents - Jumpin Jack Flash
8 - A Link to the Past Japanese Commercial

Good luck and enjoy the episode!

famicomplicatedJames Charlton, Associate Editor (Japan)January 25, 2012

Quote from: Ceric

I was misled.
There was no Samurai Pizza Cats.

Famicast trivia fail! Listen carefully, just before the letters section....
I never break promises.

CericJanuary 26, 2012

Quote from: famicomplicated

Quote from: Ceric

I was misled.
There was no Samurai Pizza Cats.

Famicast trivia fail! Listen carefully, just before the letters section....
I never break promises.

You were right and I was wrong.
That song doesn't really translate to well into 8-Bit.

ejamerJanuary 26, 2012

Enjoyed the pizza discussion far more than I should admit. Thanks for bringing up useless but interesting stuff like that.


Also, thanks for answering my question. Now my wife owes me "favors". Who knew that gibberish could pay off so handsomely.

noname2200January 26, 2012

Alright, monthly podcasts ahead!

Anyhow, thanks for answering my questions, guys. It was, as always, educational and entertaining. I have to say I am surprised that Sony apparently rushed the system out before any big software was ready for it. Then again, Nintendo arguably did the same, so...

I'm also pleased to have idenitifed five of the eight songs. I'm a little horrified that I instantly recognized the last one though... Thank you Youtube?

Nintendo Dream is great for interviews and bonuses... I wish we had something like that here.

famicomplicatedJames Charlton, Associate Editor (Japan)January 27, 2012

Hehe, who knew pizza-talk would turn out to be so entertaining for everyone?
Turns out Domino's Japan have stopped doing the quiz, I checked today.
Maybe too many people *cough* abusing the system...


Do American mags not have that many free gifts?
I remember getting some cool stuff from NMS (UK mag) back in the day e.g game holders, videos, stickers, CD's etc.

CericJanuary 27, 2012

Quote from: famicomplicated

Hehe, who knew pizza-talk would turn out to be so entertaining for everyone?
Turns out Domino's Japan have stopped doing the quiz, I checked today.
Maybe too many people *cough* abusing the system...

Do American mags not have that many free gifts?
I remember getting some cool stuff from NMS (UK mag) back in the day e.g game holders, videos, stickers, CD's etc.

Not really.  You get a demo CD or video every once in a while.  Though the whole Free Gift thing has gone down since the Internet became popular.  Its hard to find a Free Toy in Cereal anymore.  Now its multiple UPCs and Shipping.  Where's my annual Frosted Flake Plastic Sardine thing?

famicomplicatedJames Charlton, Associate Editor (Japan)January 28, 2012

I thought Japanese cereals would have amazing toys before I got here, then discovered they got jack-sh*t.
Now we're on the subject, you can add cereals to the "holy-crap-they-cost-how-much" list, a tiny 200g box of Frosties is 500yen, ($6.50) an imported box of European muesli can go for 900yen! ($12)

CericJanuary 28, 2012

Ironically after the Pizza discussion Samuria Pizza Cats makes a lot more sense.

Be nice on another one to do another food discussion that discusses the different prices on things but more what an average Japanese diet for you have become.  There has to be some things that where the other way around dirt cheap in Japan.

Also be great to talk about Ramen Stands. >.> <.

Fatty The HuttFebruary 02, 2012

Another great episode. I just love the Famicast. Thanks.

Re: "secret-knock"; I suppose that is an American term in origin but I am surprised it has not apparently gained more general use elsewhere. It derives from the prohibition era in America when those "in the know" could only get into back-alley speak-easys (illegal gin-joints) if they knew the "secret knock". If you knocked on the unmarked door of the speak-easy in a certain code or pattern, they would let you in. The more you know!

Glad you are committing to monthly episodes. For February, I want to hear about what, if anything, Japan does with Valentines Day. The Christmas discussion yielded the startling and hilarious news about the KFC connection in Japan. I now want to know what other weird derivations occur during other "western" holidays.

Thanks guys.

TJ SpykeFebruary 02, 2012

"Secret knocks" have also been used in countless TV shows and movies, so I am surprised that some people don't now what they are.

"What's the secret grunt?"
*ergh* *ergh* *ugh*
"Too much estrogen. Access denied."

Invincible Donkey KongFebruary 02, 2012

That's season 1 Home Improvement.

famicomplicatedJames Charlton, Associate Editor (Japan)February 04, 2012

Quote from: Fatty_The_Hutt

Another great episode. I just love the Famicast. Thanks.

Re: "secret-knock"; I suppose that is an American term in origin but I am surprised it has not apparently gained more general use elsewhere. It derives from the prohibition era in America when those "in the know" could only get into back-alley speak-easys (illegal gin-joints) if they knew the "secret knock". If you knocked on the unmarked door of the speak-easy in a certain code or pattern, they would let you in. The more you know!

Glad you are committing to monthly episodes. For February, I want to hear about what, if anything, Japan does with Valentines Day. The Christmas discussion yielded the startling and hilarious news about the KFC connection in Japan. I now want to know what other weird derivations occur during other "western" holidays.

Thanks guys.

I had a bit of a face-palm moment with that one, after the episode went to air...
The wording in the original question threw me I guess, but of course I know what a secret knock is. DUH!
/facepalming


A Valentine's Day discussion is a good idea, I'll definitely try and squeeze it on the agenda for the February episode!


Thanks for the nice comments and support!

Glad0sFebruary 05, 2012

I'm shocked at how bad of a Mick Jagger impersonator that guy was. But it was still awesome to play.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement