The Wii remake was scheduled for release this week, but was delayed until February despite the fact that review copies had already been sent out.
In the past it has been difficult to pin down Rygar: The Battle of Argus to a specific release date. The Tecmo Wii remake of the 2002 PlayStation 2 game was originally slated for a December 2007 release, but it's been slowly delayed over the past year. Tecmo has just announced that the game will now release on February 3, 2009, which will hopefully be the last delay for the title.
Even more curious is that review copies for the game already exist, and that it was apparently in a state ready to ship. 1UP writer Sam Kennedy, reporting on the news, lamented that he had spent the previous night playing it to ready a timely review. One possible reason for the delay of a finished or near-finished game could be to avoid the holiday season, a vital shopping season for videogames, but also one in which many games could be overshadowed by larger releases with bigger marketing budgets.
When Rygar: The Battle of Argus ships next February, it will carry an ESRB rating of T for Teen and a suggested retail price of $39.99.
RYGAR: The Battle of Argus Shipping February 3, 2009
Grab your "Diskarmor" and swing into action on the Wii™ as the legendary warrior, Rygar! Immerse yourself in Greco-Roman mythology as you journey through the sundered Island of Argus. Intuitive use of the Wii Remote allows you to deftly and effectively control the use of the powerful Diskarmor to destroy enemies and maneuver on, around, over, and under obstacles to save Princess Harmonia! Rygar: The Battle of Argus is packed with action and adventure, spanning various unique zones and light puzzle solving. This enhanced Wii version brings new enemies, techniques and an all-new Gladiator Mode, specifically equipped for the versatile swinging movement of the Wii Remote.
- Innovative Play Mechanics: The legendary Diskarmor shield can be used for attack, defense, or transportation all with the use of the Wii Remote
- Not the Same Rygar: Conquer new enemies, techniques, and game modes in this Wii remake of the PlayStation 2 classic
- Gladiator Mode: Play the new Gladiator Mode specially equipped for the versatile swinging movement of the Wii Remote
- Action Packed Adventure: This action-adventure title spans various unique zones and requires vanquishing the enemy and light puzzle solving
- Intense Combo Attacks: Multiple Diskarmor weapons are available to be found and upgraded with elemental power-ups such as fire, ice, and lightning. Engage the enemy with over 40 different devastating combo attacks
- Riveting Story: A story set in the Greco-Roman era surrounding a noble warrior attempting to save his Princess, bring the Island of Argus back to peace, and annihilate the Titans using only his wits, fabled Diskarmor, and captivating looks and charm
Rygar: The Battle of Argus has been rated "T" for Teen by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB). Additional information is available at www.rygargame.com.