Author Topic: Never Trade In Your Games its not worth it.  (Read 4685 times)

Offline aqua-team

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Never Trade In Your Games its not worth it.
« on: July 23, 2004, 07:54:55 PM »
I recently bought an xbox and my parents wouldnt allow me to keep it so I tried to take it back. The problem was that I opened it so they wouldnt take it. The Guy said the only thing he could do was trade it in.80 dollers store credit and 62.00 cash WTF is that. I bought it that day for 150.00. I told him to screw himself and to my luck my parents let me keep it. My Friend Just traded Grand Theft Auto Vice City for 6.50 and he recently bought it for 30.00 new. Do a favor to yourself and keep your games. By the way the store was gamestop. it sucks @$$.
                                                           -Ethan  

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
RE:Never Trade In Your Games its not worth it.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »
80 store credit for an xbox is not bad at all.  There are so many Vice City games in circulation that expecting more than 6.50 is expecting too much.  It's worth trading in your games sometimes, like when you want to get a new game or a brand new console and you don't have the cash.  Or when the game you bought either sucks or you don't dig it.  Also out of all the places, Gamespot is the best retail place there is.  The other places like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Mediaplay, Toys r Us, Electronics Boutique are much worse.  You could use Ebay, but thats a personal taste as to whether you like dealing online, waiting, shipping through mail etc.

Also if you want the best cash for your games you gotta sell the right ones at the right time, it can make a big difference.  Keeping track of a games circulation, current popularity, and price new are just a few parts of the equation.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Never Trade In Your Games its not worth it.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 09:08:58 PM »
Yeah, I guess you'd get some money for trading in ToS right now...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:33:50 PM »
I think they were giving 35 for it.  But theres lots of old games they give good money for...  It all depends on circulation, current popularity, etc.....

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 10:55:40 PM »
One of the benefits of working in a mall arcade are that all my gamer friends drop by before they go to GameStop and I sometimes match prices on games they're going to trade-in and add them to my collection for a bargain price.

(One of the other benefits is finding gameboy games that nobody comes in to claim - I totally just scored a copy of Mario & Luigi)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 11:50:03 AM »
some dumbass here in Yuma traded in Super Mario RPG(FRICKEN RARITY!!!!) so he could get some money for an xbox.  
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 07:30:46 PM »
Trading in a rare game for a console? Wow. Take your pick whether that's good or bad.

Pretty much, I keep all the games I buy, thanks to a very disercening taste. I've traded a few titles here and there, just because I knew for sure I wouldn't play them for a while. The one title I took back with passion was Star Fox Adventures. I was patient with it, I really was, but it was so uninspired that it had to go.

Ebay's not a bad place to get games, Though I reccomend not buying GBA games from there, you never know if you're getting a counterfeit....
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 08:56:04 PM »
I just keep all of my games, good or bad. Only WarCraft 2 and Mario & Yoshi had to go so far.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 08:56:29 AM »
Like a lot of you, I keep almost all of my games.  I've only gotten rid of 3, I believe, from NES-present day.
I sold Yoshi's Story (don't ask me why I bought that...) and 1080 on EBay.
Then I traded in DAve Mirra BMX 2 for $12 after buying it for $20 a month earlier.  That was a good deal, I though, because I got a lot of playtime out of that game.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 09:17:55 AM »
I got 50 canadian at EB games for Zelda WW, and MGS twin snakes. Got ESPN NFL2k5 with it.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 10:16:39 AM »
Cubed, you may not want to admit that too loud around these boards.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 10:49:58 AM »
Cubed: Tried selling them on eBay? You would have made twice that.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 11:20:40 AM »
Only game I ever traded in was a broken copy of FFVII.  I knew that if I sold it on ebay I'd get bitched at because it..you know....doesn't work.  But I knew gamestop would tke it because they sold the broken copy to me in the first place.  You can EASILY trade in broken games.....when I went to buy a used copy of Skies of Arcadia, they didn't give it to me because the disk was in horrible condition.  That means they bought it like that.  Silly morons.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 11:24:39 AM »
the only game i ever took back was aidyn chronicles...i then bought a dreamcast...my god did that game suck...i was so excited to buy it...an rpg on n64..i didnt heed or wait for reviews. I played it for 10 minutes...this game sucks!!! Good thing i bought Paper Mario at the same time....awesome game. I loved it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 12:37:02 PM »
I'm confused

I quote cubed
"" NFL2K is superior too Madden"

I strongly disagree. I hate SEGA sports."

Hate it, yet traded in two far superior games.  I shouldn't ask.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 02:18:02 AM »
Yeah, I traded so much cool stuff in years back. Stuff that's worth like a bajillion dollars now (Terranigma, Lufia, Worms on N64... SIGH). But there have been times when it was cool. Like when I traded in Simpsons Road Rage towards DDR, and the dude gave me $25 for it. I only paid $15. RAWK.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 05:56:06 AM »
Think of it this way.  You're trading not returning.  They have to make some money out of it.  Plus it is considered used when you opened it.  No one other than yourself can know how its been used so as some safety precaution they won't get blamed for problems as long as it is used.  Since it is used you're complaining for not getting enough back.  They need to buy it for less and sell it for more otherwise you might as well do it yourself since they do need money.

I never really do trade my games.  I've become smarter on what to expect is a good game.  Plus having a huge variety of games can really help because if you have less you might be playing one game so much that you'll get bored that simply a new game will excited you no matter what you thought of it in the past.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 07:52:31 AM »
The only games I typically trade in are reviewables that suck. I keep pretty much every game I actually buy, with one or two exceptions along the way (usually just some game I thought I would like, bought, and ended up hating).

Also, don't buy used games, it stifles creativity.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 09:00:10 AM »
"Ebay's not a bad place to get games, Though I reccomend not buying GBA games from there, you never know if you're getting a counterfeit...."

Here's a hint.  Don't buy anything from Hong Kong.  Right there that will lower your chances of buying a "Nintondo" cartridge significantly.

I have never traded in any game ever and I don't plan on it.  I have enough money that I don't have to pawn everything I own to get new games and I like collecting games as well as playing them.  I have tons of SNES titles I bought used that I've hardly played at all.  The collecting is part of the fun.  Plus I'm a pretty smart shopper and don't really buy sh!tty titles that I want to trade in.

However I would never discourage people from trading games in because I benefit from their stupidity.  If some moron didn't trade in the Star Fox Competition cartridge for chump change I wouldn't have been able to buy it used for $9 Canadian!  Classic game collecting wouldn't exist if it weren't for stupid morons selling rare games for loose change.  My only suggestion is to not trade in to EB because their used games are ridiculously overpriced and no one benefits from those situations but EB.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 10:03:16 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
You can EASILY trade in broken games.....when I went to buy a used copy of Skies of Arcadia, they didn't give it to me because the disk was in horrible condition.  That means they bought it like that.  Silly morons.

That seller was lucky, I tried selling a used copy of Bushido Blade over a period of 5 years, and each time at 3 different Gamestops they wouldn't buy it back because it was too scratched (and it wasn't all that bad).  (I didn't go there to 3 stores for 5 years just to sell it lol, just tried every now and then out of all my shopping there hehe).  Another time I needed cash bad so I went to sell a dvd movie to them at 1 store, it was barely scratched at all, and he wouldn't take it so I got pissed and threw it at him and said, "KEEP IT!"  

Manunited, if you read more of that thread you would've seen that Cubed said he was gonna also give NFL2k5 a shot this year.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 07:39:28 AM »
I used to sell some of my games...now there are some games I want to sell, but I just can't be bothered.  For the five minutes I spend putting Tag Team Wrestling on Ebay, I'll get like 50 cents.  That game is the epitome of bad NES titles.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 08:18:47 AM »
joe: The irony still stands.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 12:47:18 PM »
 "Cubed: Tried selling them on eBay? You would have made twice that."

I dont care, and I really couldnt be bothered. I wanted to try the New ESPN football game at the recommendation of someone on this forum (I cant recall who?). I was going to the mall anyhow (picking up saving private ryan DTS version I had special ordered) and I couldnt stand either of those 2 games, so I figured why not.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »

Originally posted by: manunited4eva22
joe: The irony still stands.

okay, but you said you were confused, so I was just trying to clear up the confusion for you.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 08:04:35 PM »
I traded in Final Fantasy II (SNES) and Final Fantasy III (SNES) to get Wind Waker...

I love Wind Waker, but I really regret trading in those two games...
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?