Author Topic: Give me Mario Kart or give me death  (Read 143444 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Mario Kart Discussion (TALK ABOUT MARIO KART HERE)
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2003, 05:50:44 PM »
I wonder if Mario Kart: Double Dash will use the GBA-GC link cable?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2003, 06:04:09 PM »
With LAN capabilites, who the hell cares?
There's all the features we need right there!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline DRJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2003, 06:51:06 PM »

I wonder if Mario Kart: Double Dash will use the GBA-GC link cable?

That would be interesting. The weapons that you have are displayed on the GBA screen so nobody else can see what you have. I doubt it tho since Mario Kart would be a pain to try and control with a gba.

Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2003, 07:21:24 PM »
People do not like this co-op or two player idea...  

First of all, let me just say Nintendo would never change the kart formula just to make it look more realistic.  That is not Nintendo.  Two people are not on the same kart so it would look more realistic (one throws the weapons while the other drives).  Granted, it is more realistic, but Nintendo would not go the extra mile of making two characters on the kart for realism.  Miyamoto said it himself in an interview.  He likes "cool" graphics better then realistic graphics.  This is highly evident in Zelda: The Wind Waker.  The game risked its press reputation just because Miyamoto wanted the game to have emotion and a more "cool" factor, evident in the anime-style battles.  And how many of you truly cared about realism when playing Mario Kart 64?  How many people truly cared about realism when buying the game?  I say take a look at its sales numbers.
Something is up with this two characters on a kart thing.  If you can control both of them, that would just be like Mario Kart 64, but with more realism.  Maybe I could see that happen in single-player mode, but if some special system or feature is not integrated with this two-character feature, the game is a direct rehash of Mario Kart 64.  Knowing Nintendo, especially as of recently, they are not like that.  They at least try to make a little innovation in their latest titles (water gun in Sunshine, sailing in Wind Waker).
I don't see how co-op is a drastic gameplay change...especially when it may be just an option.

My first statement regarding co-op is harsh and thus, I regret it, but I honestly believe the game has co-op or some sort of special feature or system regarding the two characters on a kart thing..    
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2003, 07:29:22 PM »
complaining about the graphics in mario kart DD is just plain stupid...
mario kart 64 PALES in comparison to mario kart dd, its like night and day...
as far as ssbm looking so much better...that game was 2d...this game is 3d...theres
a big difference there.
another thing thats pissin me off is people saying that some characters special powerups (meaning unique to each character) will be the same... like mario and luigi's unique weapons being the same...
Nintendo has already stated flat out, that EACH character has 8 unique weapons!

as far as the 6 same powerups/weapons i think (err hope) it may be like this

1 banana/banana bundle
2 star
3 red turtle shell/3 red turtle shells
4 green shell/3 green shells
5 mushroom/3 mushrooms
6 lightning

as far as the GBA to GCN connectivity, it would be IDIOTIC for it not to have some kind of feature!,
considering every major GCN game has contained such connectivity and Nintendo is pushing for 3rd parties to do the same (EA comes to mind)

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2003, 12:21:35 AM »

never mind what i said, u would of got dumber reading it

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2003, 02:02:45 AM »
there were coins in the n64 one? i must have missed them in the 100's of hours i spent playing it

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2003, 04:10:27 AM »

Originally posted by: PIAC
there were coins in the n64 one? i must have missed them in the 100's of hours i spent playing it

HAHA! DeadlyD = Owned!

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2003, 05:09:47 AM »
What? Since when where the coins in Mario Kart?
I just know that DK Racing had bananas to collect, but it didnt really make a difference in motorpower, stupid gimmick nothin else.
LZ 2005

Offline Thumati

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2003, 05:46:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Hemmorrhoid
What? Since when where the coins in Mario Kart?
I just know that DK Racing had bananas to collect, but it didnt really make a difference in motorpower, stupid gimmick nothin else.

Actually, the bananas made a big difference if you got the max number of them, 15, I think. I remember using Diddy Kong with the max bananas and passing my friend using Banjo when he had none on a straightaway.

Offline thesos21

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2003, 01:53:19 PM »
Could someone explain what 8 player LAN is. Is it actually on-line or what? How does it work.

Thanks

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2003, 01:59:26 PM »
Lan is called Local Area Network.  Its where you hook up two gamecubes together by a cord(Maybe something else for Gamecube's purpose) and be able to have more then four people play on Mario Kart.  Since you can have up to four players on one game that means with a another Gamecube and another game you can have eight people play.  Something else that will be cool is that you might be able to play two player with each person having his or her own screen.

Offline fatwilf

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2003, 09:19:45 AM »
I rekon the real reason that there are two charcters on the kart is instead of just racing round the track you also have to try knock the back characters off so they lose the race. this would add an extra dimension to the game cos there would be more stratagie involved.
Thats just my idea, what do you think?
Fatwilf is good

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2003, 10:52:46 AM »
That's a cool little feature to integrate with this two characters thing.

Knocking the other character off the kart would add strategy to the races and be much more fun all around.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2003, 12:32:28 PM »
I don't think Nintendo would do that in the GP mode -- Mario Kart is kinda well known for letting you do whatever you want on the track if you like, so I doubt they'd let you knock the "attacker" off.  They'll probably let you stun them, though, which would have similar effects without an instant-loss.  I'm sure they'll include weapons that stun the attacker without affecting the driver or the kart.

But battle mode could do some fun things with knocking people off their karts.  I could see the attacker having 3 balloons and the driver 1 balloon, so if you lose your attacker you're not entirely out of the race yet -- you could still avoid the other drivers to at least get second place.

Hey, if they have 8 player lan... does that mean you have 8 player battle mode?

Offline Thumati

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2003, 01:01:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Ninja X
That's a cool little feature to integrate with this two characters thing.
Knocking the other character off the kart would add strategy to the races and be much more fun all around.

I have to disagree. I didn't think constantly falling off the track (especially Yoshi's Valley or Banshee Boardwalk) or getting flattened by a semi in MK64 made the game more fun. Getting the gunner knocked off would bring the player to a standstill for several seconds at the very least, and when you add to the things that can potentially halt progress, it will just make the game frustrating, especially to new drivers, making them less likely to take the time to get to know the game.
Remember, this game isn't Gran Turismo, or Twisted Metal: it's Mario Kart. It's supposed to be readily accessible to people. Considering  there are probably going to be at least a few damn hard tracks and the gunner/pilot dynamic, adding even more layers and layers of strategy and factors that can frustrate the average driver won't make it all that accessible, and thus fun, to the average gamer- none of whom frequent these forums, I imagine.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2003, 01:33:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Thumati

I have to disagree. I didn't think constantly falling off the track (especially Yoshi's Valley or Banshee Boardwalk) or getting flattened by a semi in MK64 made the game more fun. Getting the gunner knocked off would bring the player to a standstill for several seconds at the very least, and when you add to the things that can potentially halt progress, it will just make the game frustrating, especially to new drivers, making them less likely to take the time to get to know the game.
Remember, this game isn't Gran Turismo, or Twisted Metal: it's Mario Kart. It's supposed to be readily accessible to people. Considering  there are probably going to be at least a few damn hard tracks and the gunner/pilot dynamic, adding even more layers and layers of strategy and factors that can frustrate the average driver won't make it all that accessible, and thus fun, to the average gamer- none of whom frequent these forums, I imagine.

What?  The driver can still drive.  Say your attacker has fallen off the kart or, using Eggytoast's idea, is stunned.  How will that stop the driver from driving?  The attacker will be on your kart in 5 - 10 seconds time.  

Hmm...most weapons in the Mario Kart series were made for halting your opponent's progress in a race.  This will add one layer of gameplay to the game.  And losing your attacker, as I stated, would not halt your progress.  It would allow you to continue down your track, but you would not be able to attack for a very limited amount of time.

And you do not know how the "gunner/pilot dynamic" will work.  For all you know, this could be one of the major things of the feature.  More will probably exist, but as for now, this is a decent suggestion...and it will remain that until E3.

Eggytoast, I like your battle mode idea.  One problem with that though...what if the opponent strikes the driver first and gets rid of his balloon?  The attacker cannot move by himself or herself and thus, cannot pick up any weapons.  One solution could be that the attacker switches to being the driver and try to run for second place...
The only thing with that is I do not think anybody cares for second place.  You're either first place or you're not.  That's my multiplayer philosophy.

Offline Thumati

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2003, 03:05:27 PM »

What?  The driver can still drive.  Say your attacker has fallen off the kart or, using Eggytoast's idea, is stunned.  How will that stop the driver from driving?  The attacker will be on your kart in 5 - 10 seconds time.  

Hmm...most weapons in the Mario Kart series were made for halting your opponent's progress in a race.  This will add one layer of gameplay to the game.  And losing your attacker, as I stated, would not halt your progress.  It would allow you to continue down your track, but you would not be able to attack for a very limited amount of time.

And you do not know how the "gunner/pilot dynamic" will work.  For all you know, this could be one of the major things of the feature.  More will probably exist, but as for now, this is a decent suggestion...and it will remain that until E3.

First, remember how often you got stopped in your tracks in MK64. Second, remember how long those periods were. Shells (even the spiky one), bananas, squishes, and spins stopped the character, but allowed the character to get back going as soon as the incident animation finished. Falls took a hell of a long time and real annoying and those took, what, 5 seconds?
5-10 seconds is a hell of a long time, especially in a racing game, which is what made falling off the track in MK64 practically fatal if you're playing against even just 1 good person (the computer and its cheap AI...ugh...and, no, all the Lightnings and Stars in the world don't help when you've fallen off a couple times). Try this, start up a Mario Kart game, and every so often, take a 10 second break. See how great that is. And there's a BIG difference between getting stunned and starting from 0 mph (like what happens when most weapon hit a character), stopping for a couple seconds or so (like with getting squished), and not being able to move because your gunner's been knocked off. And if you can drive off without your gunner, what's the gunner going to do, catch up by running? Are you going to pick 'em up when you come around the next lap, losing your ability to switch characters and use weapons for an entire lap? Yeah, that makes sense
Obviously, I could be wrong, but if it is the sort of thing that keeps the players from getting back into the race quickly or doesn't happen too often, it could the sort of minor gameplay point that can make a game an exercise in frustration.

Offline lollollol

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2003, 11:47:00 PM »
Congratulations for the fastest ban ever.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2003, 12:49:51 AM »
-____- arn't people over that sort of imatureity yet, go away ps2 fanboy

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2003, 09:48:16 AM »

Originally posted by: Thumati

First, remember how often you got stopped in your tracks in MK64. Second, remember how long those periods were. Shells (even the spiky one), bananas, squishes, and spins stopped the character, but allowed the character to get back going as soon as the incident animation finished. Falls took a hell of a long time and real annoying and those took, what, 5 seconds?
5-10 seconds is a hell of a long time, especially in a racing game, which is what made falling off the track in MK64 practically fatal if you're playing against even just 1 good person (the computer and its cheap AI...ugh...and, no, all the Lightnings and Stars in the world don't help when you've fallen off a couple times). Try this, start up a Mario Kart game, and every so often, take a 10 second break. See how great that is. And there's a BIG difference between getting stunned and starting from 0 mph (like what happens when most weapon hit a character), stopping for a couple seconds or so (like with getting squished), and not being able to move because your gunner's been knocked off. And if you can drive off without your gunner, what's the gunner going to do, catch up by running? Are you going to pick 'em up when you come around the next lap, losing your ability to switch characters and use weapons for an entire lap? Yeah, that makes sense
Obviously, I could be wrong, but if it is the sort of thing that keeps the players from getting back into the race quickly or doesn't happen too often, it could the sort of minor gameplay point that can make a game an exercise in frustration.

Once again, the driver can still drive.  As for how the gunner will get onto the kart, Lakitu or whatever that cloud thing is can drop the attacker off on your kart while you are racing.

Losing your ability to swtich characters and use weapons is the whole point of knocking the attacker off.  That adds another layer of strategy to Mario Kart.  

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2003, 11:45:31 AM »
Ninja, I'd imagine that if they did Battle Mode something like I sugested, that the hits wouldn't be that dynamic -- meaning that even if you hit the front of the kart head on, the balloons would be taken off the attacker first.  Perhaps a better way to think of it is that the back of the kart has 3 balloons (when those are gone, the attacker falls off) and the front has 1 balloon.  Or just 4 balloons, and when 3 are gone the attacker falls.

If they do go with balloons again in Battle Mode, I think it'd be cool if they did a little more with the balloon idea.  At the very least have the different characters use different balloons, but it'd be cool if you had more balloons and you were a lighter character that if you went over a jump, you'd float down

I totally agree about the falling aspect, though.  Falling wasn't so bad in the SNES game because the AI was so stupid that they'd fall off quite a bit, too, and even good racers would take a fall or 2 during a good race on Rainbow Road.

But falling off Rainbow Road in the N64 version was death -- you fell for about a minute, and then lakitu would finally bring you back up.  I agree -- falling was MUCH worse in Kart 64.  It was also probably the most frustrating part of the game for new players, too, as some boards needed pretty good control in order to simply stay on the track (like that yoshi track with the 50 million paths), and there's nothing worse than just starting a game and falling off all the time and losing.  It also made some of the battle arenas really lame too, notably the donut shaped one, as you'd usually get hit by a shell AND knocked off the track.  Among my friends and I, we'd always play on the 3 level boxy level with the bridges, because that level was all about skill and timing, not just trying to out-live everyone else.

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2003, 12:01:51 PM »
so what ever happened to sonic in mario kart???
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2003, 12:31:44 PM »
2-seated go karts would have worked just as well as these personalized rides, but oh well... the game should still be okay (i like to underestimate)
I'll shut up now...

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2003, 12:34:50 PM »

so what ever happened to sonic in mario kart???

Adding Sonic was probably something Nintendo was playing with after Sega started making games for them. But really Sonic is not a Mario character and should not be in Mario Kart... even tho it would be cool. Maybe he will make into the next SSBM game.
Plus if Nintendo has room for more characters there are plenty that I would rather see before Sonic, like where is Toad???

If they do go with balloons again in Battle Mode, I think it'd be cool if they did a little more with the balloon idea. At the very least have the different characters use different balloons, but it'd be cool if you had more balloons and you were a lighter character that if you went over a jump, you'd float down

Thats a nice idea. It would add another level of strategy to the game. If you have all your balloons you could make some farther jumps if you are a small character, but if you are a large character like bowser you wouldnt get any advantage.
Have there been any pics of battle mode yet? I'm sure it is included, but you never know for sure with Nintendo.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!