Author Topic: OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread  (Read 26764 times)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2004, 09:38:39 AM »
Hmm, then why don't you wire up a gamecube with tunnelling?  Same deal as with something like gamespy, or zone.com...

And I have 2 words for if your crt is too heavy 1) LCD, 2) cart

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2004, 06:34:33 PM »
not everyone has the cash to go buy an lcd just so they can have less to carry to lans.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2004, 06:42:50 PM »
Those carts, though- supermarkets have dozens of them.

Seriously, though, CRT's aren't that heavy- I move my TV (which is a lot bigger than any monitor you guys have ) on a regular basis without much strain.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2004, 07:07:49 PM »
Up in the sky, it's SUPER mouse!
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2004, 08:13:09 PM »
first off, CRTs aren't heavy.  The problem arises with wires.  My connections for my PC are on the back.  That means I have to lean over and hook everything up to the back.  If i had a front hub it would probably make life easier, but when you already have a stationary computer desk and LAN less than once a month, there is no reason for the hub.

2nd, ppl are lazy.  They are not going to jack a cart nor are they going to want to lift big (heavy or not heavy) stuff around for LANning when they can just connect TCP/IP.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »
True, most people are lazy, but that sounds like a problem with them, not LANs.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2004, 01:27:28 AM »
it's called indirect cause and effect

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2004, 08:41:25 AM »
"True, most people are lazy, but that sounds like a problem with them, not LANs."

Most developers are lazy, but that sounds like a problem with them, not with low capacity memory cards.

Most people are cheap, but that sounds like a problem with them, not with the N-Gage launch price.

You can't blame laziness or any sort of negative personally trait on a problem.  You have to accomodate those personality traits.  Nintendo's gone with this "if you're not lazy or a bad developer or a superficial person you'll love this" attitude for the last few gens and it hasn't worked.  Sony's whole rise in the game industry is a direct result of them accomodating the lazy consumer and the lazy developer.  Devs embraced the PSX because it was cheaper to make games for and they didn't have to work hard to get great sound or great looking cut scenes.  Realistically from a pure gameplay perspective the N64 had better hardware since it had better graphics to provide better immersion, a better 3D controller, no load times, and four player support right out of the box.  Consumers liked the Playstation better too.  The games were cheaper and there were more games to choose from.  Both systems had their pros and cons (N64 for example had no load times, it's top games were arguably better, no memory card needed for first party titles) but few bothered with serious research.  It required less effort to just pick the Playstation.

So if a solution requires any sort of effort from the consumer it's not a good solution.  So having LAN as a focused feature instead of online isn't going to work.  Although all forms of multiplayer gaming requires some work online is the easiest for most people to use.  You don't even need any friends or extra controlers, just an internet connection, network adapter of some sort, and a console.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2004, 10:47:01 AM »
That's crazy, Ian, I wasn't even talking about developers or memory cards- complaining about on topic things not filling your quota?

No, no, I stand by what I said, besides the fact that it was halfway a joke-  it's their problem they're lazy, not mine, not yours, and not anyone else's. Laziness isn't an affliction, it's not a disease, it's a conscious choice to not do anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm not lazy- far from it- I'm just not trying to defend it. What I meant by my comment was as such: the fact that a lot of people are lazy is not a problem with the LAN, it's a problem with them, and I don't see why we should have to comply to the lowest common denominator. But maybe it's not Nintendo's place to enforce that, I don't know. ::rolls eyes::

What I WASN'T doing, though, was trying to say LAN in a viable alternative to a good online plan for next generation- people were coming down harshly on LANs is general and I was defending them.  

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2004, 01:04:15 PM »
LANs are fine, but Nintendo's LANs implemented thus far are not because they require multiple broadband adapters which on top of being hard to find are expensive to boot.

Most casual gamers are the lowest common denominator.  So as a company that should have them in its demographic,  nintendo should make its link-ups easy to get going and lazy proof.  Not that Nintendo hasn't done that to an extent, with 4 controller ports right out of the box.  But this gen, Microsoft's xbox one upped them with LAN.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2004, 01:21:36 PM »
im all for online gaming....why not?...first two things.

1 they should be made idiot proof
2 I think more is better sometimes
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2004, 04:25:53 PM »
The mere sight of this thread still makes me laugh.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2004, 11:55:48 PM »
ThePerm: Idiot proof? As in, "so hard to enter that no idiots can get in" or the other way around? The latter is nice for the idiots, but the former is favoured by all the oher players...

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2004, 08:21:27 AM »
Over at IGNcube, there is an article, Nintendo on Networking, that has relevence to this thread.
Basically though Nintendo reminds everyone that they've been investigating networked gaming for 20 years but the cost of data transfer causes, more specifically, online gaming to have a weak market potential.
Fine, whatever, same old, same old.  What bothers me is 1) they say this as people are beginning to speculate about the Revolution (didn't Peter Main say that Nintendo would definitely be online next gen?) and 2) they follow this statement with how they are going to challenge online gaming with the Game Boy Advance wireless adapter.  WTF??!!  On top of this adapter of course having range limititations, that online gaming wouldn't have, from what I understand, this device does the exact same thing as the wired link cable.  Sure, it's convenient, but that is barely innovation, let alone an online killer.
If they pushed the wireless capabilities of the DS, it would be tenable, but the wireless GBA adapter?
Anyway I want my networking on a console!  GBs have been networked since tetris- that's 20 years.  The DS sounds like the epitome of handhelds networking.  Move on to consoles, Nintendo.  At least make LAN easier.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2004, 08:58:04 AM »
"Anyway I want my networking on a console! GBs have been networked since tetris- that's 20 years. The DS sounds like the epitome of handhelds networking. Move on to consoles, Nintendo. At least make LAN easier."

I think the fact that Nintendo's online plans focus on the GBA and DS shows which market Nintendo really cares about.  It's too bad because I really feel that the Cube was capable of much more but was held back by a half-assed effort on the part of Nintendo.  I really don't want to see that happen with the Revolution.  Plus they tend to be thinking too much about an online strategy that works for Japan and not North America.  They've talked about having "hot spots" in stores for online portable gaming.  Well that works okay in Japan but that sort of model would NEVER work in North America.  Canada and the US are just too spread out.

And I really hope they were just trying to hype up the GBA wireless adapter because it's an absolute joke of a product.  Games have to designed to use it.  That means that multiplayer GBA games that have been released thus far can't use it.  That's just unacceptable.  This should just be a wireless version of the link cable and thus work with every link cable game.

I do however have hope that Nintendo will incorporate the wireless technology used in the DS in the revolution.  Afterall they did say that the DS is a glimpse of what's going to be in store for the Revolution and they do like connectivity.  If the DS is wireless and is going to connect to the Revolution the console would have to be wireless as well or there's no point.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2004, 02:51:51 PM »
What's wrong with online gaming? There was a time when I was obsessed with it. Heh, it wasn't long ago either.

Without online gaming, many people might have lives. ^_^
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2004, 08:07:42 AM »

Without online gaming, many people might have lives. ^_^

I think the proper statement is "Without gaming, many people might have lives ."
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2004, 04:46:37 PM »
My friend picked up a great shirt from Kohl's.  It says "Life, still a poor substitute for video games"

I will try to dig up a picture of it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2004, 04:56:28 PM »

I think the proper statement is "Without gaming, many people might have lives ."

No, I think the proper statement is "Without gaming, many people might not have lives."

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2004, 10:15:10 AM »
Very cool t-shirt, manunited.  Tis tempting to seek one out, actually.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2004, 07:32:52 PM »
And I thought having a tshirt with a mushroom on it from Mario was cool...
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2004, 07:54:24 PM »
And I think a shirt with Kefka and the other FF6 characters would be rad.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2004, 12:23:54 AM »
I'd like to have a t-shirt with Peach & Daisy embracing each other, something like t.A.t.U.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline odifiend

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2004, 06:02:07 AM »
Lecherous people don't make good professionals.  TEH irony.  And why don't we change this to the t-shirt thread while we're at it:
I want a t-shirt that morphs into an online infrastructure for the Gamecube or into a legally binding contract that makes Nintendo go online.  NO I couldn't guess what could legally bind Nintendo to online but I think I've established that this is a magical t-shirt.
In all seriousness, I've read the Takahashi brothers interviews, and the blurb about Mario Tennis, I find quite interesting.  Its absence could be explained by them putting the broadband adapter to use.  There was a thread on this a while back and I think the best use we could come up with for a tennis game using LAN was, every player has court advantage.  While convenient, that is hardly worth the effort.  So it could perhaps be that they are putting M. Tennis online.
However I have read conflicting arguments from Iwata again just recently over at IGN.  Again he states that people aren't ready to pay for online gaming, which is true, and the way he says it makes it sound like no such game will come out of Nintendo.  So unless Tennis is free, I doubt that the Takahashi bros. will have their way with pleasing those who wish to use the broadband adapter.  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2004, 11:37:36 AM »
Don't make good professionals?  Then what do you make of Japanese animators?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.