Author Topic: OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread  (Read 26763 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:14:33 PM »
Here mouse_clicker can debate against everyone about online gaming.  If I see this discussion start up anywhere else, I'm just going to delete the messages.  I won't even give you the courtesy of  having a locked post that people can still read.  

If people want to argue they can, and if they want to ignore this thread, they can.  At least, they won't have to see the same tired conversation pop up over and over where it doesn't belong.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:16:06 PM »
I buy a lot of XBox Live games and I bet other people do too

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 10:50:50 PM »
I hear people play these 'games' online! Should they be rounded up and put into camps where their only contact with the world is through tabletop roleplaying games and arcade games involving pongs and breakouts?

But seriously, S-U-P-E-R needs help! Tell him mouse!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 11:03:23 PM »
So i was playing some kid on Top Spin online on my Xbox the other day, i proceeded to 'serve' the tennis ball, and he was all like "I GUNNED U DOWN". Not knowing what i was getting myself into, i replied with "what", and he replied to my confusion with a "DUN THINK UR READYU 4 ONLINE GAMING YET COZ I JUS KILELD U". He was right, i wasn't ready for online console gaming at all. Let this be a lesson to you all. Nintendo has the right idea.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 11:36:09 PM »
I know I'm certainly not up to the challenge of playing a game on a line yet. God, I'd fall off! My pants might rip on my fall, and I'd be without pantaloons for a while. I would be crushed.

Battlefield 1942 or whatever the year is, is awesome online. You can call team mates for help, then lay mines down all over the road, then when they drive on by, they BLOW UP. Discuss.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 11:39:02 PM »
Nintendo don't know what they are doing.  If they did, they would be near completion of their next Mario game, an online FPS, to steal the hype away from Hayloe 2, and it will be a system seller.

am i rite or what, mouse_clicker?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 11:39:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
So i was playing some kid on Top Spin online on my Xbox the other day, i proceeded to 'serve' the tennis ball, and he was all like "I GUNNED U DOWN". Not knowing what i was getting myself into, i replied with "what", and he replied to my confusion with a "DUN THINK UR READYU 4 ONLINE GAMING YET COZ I JUS KILELD U". He was right, i wasn't ready for online console gaming at all. Let this be a lesson to you all. Nintendo has the right idea.

YOU GOT SERVED

Edit: seriously though, I've been playing RE Outbreak pretty much every day since it came out.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 11:47:18 PM »

Originally posted by: AiAi
Nintendo don't know what they are doing.  If they did, they would be near completion of their next Mario game, an online FPS, to steal the hype away from Hayloe 2, and it will be a system seller

A Supaaah Mario FPS???
Yoshi could use his drop dead sexy tounge to steal weapons from other players, Goomba could do nothing at all for lol, the boot would make a return for squish fun time. It'd be awesome.

"DON'T YOU REMEMBER WHAT I JUST TOLD YOU?"
"NOOOOOOOOOO"
*BLAM*  

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 04:08:25 AM »
Mouse_Clicker, when I first saw this thread I laughed hard.  Then I thought about posting and bringing to your attention the amount of frustration some people feel when you go on a rant.  How you can be condescending, arrogant, rude and pretentious.  

Then I decided I really shouldn't do that because it could be seen as flaming.

So, I'll just go back to laughing now.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:14 AM »
As long as a game's main focus isn't its online features, I really don't care if they put it in.  But see lately I have become very ill equipped for playing online games.  Living in the sticks will do that for you, what with no broadband and all.  But I have at least had some online gaming experience this generation with the Dreamcast.  And I think this magical little Sega-box holds the dark, dirty truth about the fate of all online-centric games.  They all have expiration dates.

Anybody up for a rousing game of OutTrigger?  Unfamiliar?  OutTrigger was a DC game made by Sega specifically to be played online with their spiffy new BBA.  Of course it still worked with 56k.  I wish I could tell you how I fared against Broadbanders, but by the time I got it, it was too late.  Sega had already started stripping off Sega.net and OutTrigger was one of the victims.  Of course, I didn't know that OutTrigger was online centric until I got it.  But upon realization that the main single player was uber-repetitive junk and the manual pretty much indicated that OutTrig was meant for online play, I realized I owned an essentially broken game.

Trust me, in 4 years, more than possibly sooner, many of the MMORPGs, MMOFPSs, and MMO anythings that are popular right now will be gone as if they never existed.  FFXI?  I bet that'll be Gone.  Planetside?  Gone.  RE Outbreak?  Despite the popularity, I think people will lose interest.  World of Warcraft will probably come and go in this period.  SW Galaxies?  Even THAT novelty will get old.  Earth and Beyond is already gone.  And not just gone as in discontinued and hard-to-find like Panzer Dragoon Saga.  Even if you found a copy of Earth and Beyond, you can't play it.

The worst part about this wholesale erasure is that not only are the games lost to me, they are also lost to the next generation as well.  These discs and the bits of data printed on them become worthless.  It's hard for an online game to be a classic because of the inherent subjectiveness in "having to had been there" to experience it.    The mere suggestion that a company like Nintendo or Namco or whoever "should" make "Super Mario Online"  or "Zelda Online" or "Tales of Internetivity"or whatever game with "online" tacked onto the end is totally absurd.

I really have no problems with online features so long as it doesn't encroach the core game design.  Because when it does, games have a tendency to disappear for no reason other than some players lost interest or the company that published it wants to pull the plug.

Oh and on a side note, I agree with mouse_clicker lots, so at least now he's just against the World - 1.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Moonwatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 05:10:10 AM »
I have no interest in online gaming either.  Deguello's point is very valid but not the only strike against it.  How about the issue of cost?  I can barely afford to buy a console and video game and memory card and extra controllers as it is.  By the time your equiped to play an offline game you've invested around $200 and the Gamecube the cheapest console out there! A monthly fee?  Out of the question.  I'll not deny that the lure of competing in SSBM online or downloading new areas for Pikmin is strong, but not that much.  
"Anything that, in happening, cuases itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 05:23:07 AM »

How you can be condescending, arrogant, rude and pretentious.

That's the idea- it is an argument, after all. I never flame someone outright, though, just for the sake of insulting them. I'm a firm believer that a heated debate brings the best out in both candidates- if both sides see an attack on their side as an attack on them personally, they're going to get more involved in the debate. You could also say it will cloud their judgment, which may be true, but a sterile debate is going to get nowhere. I'm all for respecting each other’s opinions, but as you know, I think "agreeing to disagree" is not the direction a debate should take unless it can't go anywhere else (which is the case with this subject). Keep in mind I don't mean to offend anyone or make them feel bad or anything, and I'm sure the reverse is true as well. I know I seem pissed off a lot on the boards, but I’m never actually mad, it just appears that way. I never say or do anything just to make people feel bad, either, so don't try to villanize me, Ms.Pikmin, if that's what you're trying to do. I suppose I could be nice about everything, but that’s not my debating style, sorry. If you don’t like it you have every right not to debate with me. Also, I don't care if you have a problem with me and tell me- it's not flaming if unless you're outright bashing someone.

In any case, I’m glad Bloodworth finally took my advice and put a cap on all the online talk and made this thread. For future reference, here’s my list of views on online gaming:

--Online gaming is not profitable right now
--There is not ample user support for online gaming to justify Nintendo pursuing it
--The majority of gamers do not care about online gaming
--Nintendo is right not to have jumped into online gaming themselves as Sony and Microsoft have
--Nintendo is NOT right to have made the online capabilities of its console as obscure as they have
--Nintendo SHOULD encourage 3rd parties to set up their own online networks for the Gamecube
--Online gaming WILL be very popular and profitable in the future
--Nintendo most definitely SHOULD support online gaming when they have found a profitable and appealing way to do so
--Nintendo should study their competitors' failures and successes and learn from them in order to duplicate the good and avoid the bad

"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 05:51:29 AM »
this online thread isn't profitable.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 06:29:23 AM »

In any case, I’m glad Bloodworth finally took my advice and put a cap on all the online talk and made this thread.

Your advice?  Whatever.  Heh heh heh.  If you gave me any advice, I don't remember it.  I just got sick of it.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 06:33:47 AM »
Deg has a great point that I don't think I've really ever considered.   It's something to wonder about because in the here and now, online play drives up lastability considerably, with games stretching into hundreds of hours.  But as Deg said, once the plug is pulled on the server, or there just aren't any good players still around, you can never go back to the game again, even if you never played it the first time.  Very interesting.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 07:10:58 AM »
I basically agree with Mouse_Clicker, but I'm slightly more agressive about going online: I think online profitability is on it's way, and I think Nintendo would be wise to jump on the bandwagon very early in the "GCNext's" lifecycle, even if it's not immediately profitable.  Otherwise I feel Nintendo risks looking like the "offline" game company.
Speaking of online games, I've noticed that a lot of the videogame media (particularly IGN) have a real hang-up about it.  It's gotten to the point where Nintendo's games are getting penalized by the media for not being online and I think it's silly.  Would a full-blown online mode be nice for Mario Kart?  Yes.  Is the game bad without it?  No!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 07:34:38 AM »
"this online thread isn't profitable."

This whole forum isn't profitable.

"And I think this magical little Sega-box holds the dark, dirty truth about the fate of all online-centric games. They all have expiration dates."

That's a very good point and I've never been interested in online-only titles because of this reason.  What I'm interested in is online multiplayer as an extra feature.  Mario Kart for example would work great with an online multiplayer mode.  The one player racing would still be intact and you would still be able to play all of the tracks with four player split-screen or with LAN.  Online would just be another option.  Ideally the setup would be peer-to-peer so that theoretically 10 years later you could still play online with your friends provided you both still had working broadband adapters.  And the game is also still perfectly playable even if you don't want to play online.  That's the ideal situation and that's all I need from Nintendo.

The idea of playing with an online community doesn't interest me and the "who wants to play with strangers?" argument makes perfect sense.  I don't want to play with strangers.  I want to play with my friends without having to invite them over and I want to play with people on this forum.

"Would a full-blown online mode be nice for Mario Kart? Yes. Is the game bad without it? No!"

I think the problem there was that they did make a LAN mode which is like half of the work right there.  Mario Kart is essentially online-ready as is and Nintendo failed to take the extra step to take it online.  If they never bothered to put LAN in they wouldn't have gotten as much flack about the lack of online play.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 09:55:34 AM »
Ian: True enough!  I'm still not a fan of holding it against a game that a certain feature doesn't exist.  Then again, if the game didn't have four player, I would be as annoyed as anyone... I guess part of the problem is that I'm not such a rabid online fan.  I have had Double Dash ready to go online for months, but I haven't actually done it.  I just don't have the time or motivation.  Tsk on me!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »

Your advice? Whatever. Heh heh heh. If you gave me any advice, I don't remember it. I just got sick of it.

I must've asked you to move online discussion into one thread a thousand times- I guess the fact that you finally did was a fluke.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
I would like to see Nintendo go online but only with some of their biggest titles. I think Mario Kart online could have been profitable, not very but I don't think they would have taken much lose. Another game that Nintendo would do well with online is Super Smash Bros. but those are the only online games I think Nintendo should have gone online with just because of their huge popularity.  

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 11:30:27 AM »
I wonder just how expensive it would be for Nintendo to make some of their games peer to peer, without a central server, like Chunsoft is doing with Homeland. I also remember Iwata saying that their online tests of Mario Kart didn't turn out very well. That is sort of weird, considering a bunch of college students could do it with Warp Pipe.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 12:16:41 PM »
Why does Mousie get his own official topic!?  Guess I have to start getting in more arguments...

Or not...

But I like what Chunsoft is doing with Homeland, and I would rather see dev teams use p2p instead of a network...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 12:44:10 PM »
First off...........
<---------------- What's this?!? Whoever's hosting my avatar (Bill?), you better fix this.

That is sort of weird, considering a bunch of college students could do it with Warp Pipe.

Heh, look how Warp Pipe is running right now. I'm enthralled they were able to get the system up, but it doesn't run too well- then again, I'd expect that from college students, just as I would expect Nintendo to be able to set up a working online system, if not profitable. Odd.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 12:45:35 PM »
Fix what?  Your avatar is the same it's been ever since I started hosting it for you...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 12:50:28 PM »
I'm seeing an "Image hosted by Angel Fire" picture right now (not to mention it being too wide)- are you seeing the smiley? Odd. I switched back to the mouse for now.