Author Topic: Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons  (Read 37825 times)

Offline EatChildren

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons
« on: April 18, 2004, 04:32:32 AM »
Hey. I've posted this stuff on a bunch of other forums (N-philes, IGN, etc) and I thought I might post it here. I know theres already an SK/Nintendo Split-Up thread, but I think the dicussion of this rumor is worhty of its own.

As your all probably well aware, rumors are circulating about the SK/GCN breakup being just a Marketing Ploy for an announcment of Eternal Darkness 2. After going through information, heres what I have come up with:

1) Dennis Dyack has stated the relationship between Nitendo and SK is/was very, very strong.

2) This announcment was completly out of the blue. Not the SLIGHTEST warnings at all.

3) IGN are the only people to have "offically" reported it. They are VERY close to Dennis Dyack.

4) Planet GameCube, also claiming to have contacted Dyack about this, posted the news at 3:33pm.

5) This news was announced April 13th. The E3 press conference ends May 13th.

6) Including the day of the announcment (April 13th) and the day after the end of E3 (May 15th) you have a total of 33 days.

7) Dyack has stated that if he hints towards there next game, ala: MGS, it will be in a much more tricky and sneaky method than he did last time, as people will be prepared.

8) There has still be NO official announcment. When Rare departed there Nintendo announced it (including press release) the day we knew or the day after.

9) Dyack has said there is much more to the Eternal Darkness story, and that one day he would like to show it.

Just a quick note to those in the dark: In the SK game Eternal Darkness the number 333 had a special, mysterious meaning to all the crazyness that was going on.

Am scraping the bottom of the barrel? Yes, definately. Is some of the stuff here pretty far fetched? Obviously yes, it is.

But you cant deny some of them seem "fishy". Noteably the fact there has been NO proper official announcment and that PlanetGamecube posted the article at 3:33.

"As far as we are aware, Cube-IGN and PlanetGamecube are the only two websites to have said that they have talked to Dyack themselves and he confirmed the split.

However, Dyack is also known to be quite chummy with both those sites and posts on both sites forums.

He has been seen logged in, obviously browsing, recently on BOTH of those forums.

Could he be seeing how well his little "joke" is going?

The biggest things that make things seem odd is the whole "official" announcement, the people who apparently have had it announced to, and the news posting of 3:33pm just makes the mind work in overdrive."

"Think about how many people this has captivated.

For starters, fans of SK are already concerned about this news.

Then you have the people who are more for Nintendo but dont really care about SK, this news still has caught them.

Last but not least, PS2 and Xbox owners. The news has hit them that SK have the ability to develop for there consoles.

Then imagine: BAM! Your hit with the news that this was a big "lie", and this kind of madness and tom-foolery is what you will see in Eternal Darkness 2.

That would spark interest from ALOT of people towards the game.

In my views, in 7 days time if we havnt seen a press release or official statement from either Nintendo or Silicon Knights, this is just a marketing tactic."

"Oddly enough this is something you can see Dyack pulling off. He's a sneaky bastard and seems to enjoy "talking between the lines" then letting the public interperate what he's said.

Another thing I was thinking about:

IGN, one of the only people to "confirm" this, speculated it was about "creative differences". They pulled that story right from there rear. Going through old and new Dyack interviews, some with Myamoto present, he has confirmed they share the same views and goals as Nintendo. In one of them, Myamoto mentioned how technology was not important and that the gameplay was the main focus, Dyack completly agree'd.

Therefor, why would they split over creative differences? I doubt they did.

Could it have been sales? Eternal Darkness didnt sell well, but im pretty sure Twin Snakes has sold quite well. Even then, sinse when have Nintendo taken into mind what the sales are going to be?

Nintendo have N-Space making Giest, and just looking at N-Space's track-record shows that Nintendo cant be overly concerned about sales there.

As for ED selling poorly, Nintendo aquired SK BECAUSE of ED to begin with. Nintendo commented many times how they like games that do something thats unique and hasnt been done before. Not long after SK was aquired for second party Nintendo confirmed it was because the Sanity Effects of ED impressed them.

Not only was this announcement out of the blue, and not only has there been no "official" word, but there seems no logic behind Nintendos decision. No logic at all.

Then again, when has anything Nintendo have done been logical :/."

Is it far fetched? Yes, of course. But we can still discuss it.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 05:07:47 AM »
Well, yeah. I'm fully expecting SK to announce Eternal Darkness 2 at E3 for GameCube. I'm glad that some people took the announcement way too seriously though. Drama is comedy gold!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 05:32:11 AM »
I think too much drama is bad, especially when you have the morons here claiming not to buy Nintendo's next system because "SK left"...It's absurdity on a whole new level... :\

But it would have been nice if you let them figure it out on their own... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 06:07:55 AM »

I'm glad that some people took the announcement way too seriously though. Drama is comedy gold!
indeed, i / we haven't had this much fun since the AgentSeven saga or the gamecube reportcard thread, hell we even got some more quotes to over use ^_^,

i would do ANYTHING for this news to not be true.

also

He has been seen logged in, obviously browsing, recently on BOTH of those forums.

i was on when he was, Mario (the forum user) pointed it out to some of us on MSN, Infernal got a screencap of it also
OUT OF DATE.

Offline kpw22

• View Profile
RE:Eternal Darkness 2 Marketing Tactic: Reasons
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 07:07:11 AM »
lol EatChildren you have posted this on everyboard i visit, gamefaqs, this one, n-philes, ign. Well, everyone knows about it now.

Wait, does everyone believe these rumors now? Seems like everyday people are converted to believe these. Yep, I've believed them from the start of course.
look down

look up

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 07:44:06 AM »
Here is the thing that gets me though...  Planetgamecube takes pride in their news being truthful.  If they know that this is a joke, i would think they would be hard pressed to post it as fact.  Also, many of the staffers responses to our ranting seem very serious.  I dunno, it obviously wouldn't tarnish their image to us because most of us would laugh, but to joe shmoe news site reader, they would always be like... "Planetgamecube was wrong about the SK thing, they are probably wrong about 'this'" about every news story to come out from now on.  I honestly believe that the only way this is really a sanity effect is if Denis pulled a fast on on Jonny and the gang as well...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 07:47:03 AM »
I really hope this ED2 market ploy thing is true. ED is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm dying for a sequel. If it is, that'd be so cool... and it would be the best video game news I'dve heard in a very long time. Not only would SK be sticking with Nintendo (my favorite games company), but ED2 would be soon coming out!!!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 08:03:30 AM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
Here is the thing that gets me though...  Planetgamecube takes pride in their news being truthful.  If they know that this is a joke, i would think they would be hard pressed to post it as fact.  Also, many of the staffers responses to our ranting seem very serious.  I dunno, it obviously wouldn't tarnish their image to us because most of us would laugh, but to joe shmoe news site reader, they would always be like... "Planetgamecube was wrong about the SK thing, they are probably wrong about 'this'" about every news story to come out from now on.  I honestly believe that the only way this is really a sanity effect is if Denis pulled a fast on on Jonny and the gang as well...

Or that Johnny is in on the whole thing...

There's a difference between outright lying and pulling a prank...

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 08:27:44 AM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0

You do know that PGC has a good relationship with Denis Dyack?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 08:56:45 AM »

Here is the thing that gets me though... Planetgamecube takes pride in their news being truthful. If they know that this is a joke, i would think they would be hard pressed to post it as fact.

Well, it's really only a hunch of ours that it's fact- I mean, what do you expect PGC to do when Dyack himself says it's real? PGC doesn't post rumors as facts, and as it stands right now, it's only a rumor that this is fake. I don't think anyone at PGC  knows any more about this than we do. If anything, IGN is the only one with any clue about the actual nature of this situation (especially since every other site reporting the news lists IGN as its source).

Anyway, your intentions are nice, EatChildren, but I think you're trying to find clues in places where they don't exist- Mario did it as a joke in the SK thread.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 09:26:30 AM »
"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

I felt it was necessary to use a Bible quote...

Offline bmfrosty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 09:54:06 AM »
The real kicker is that there's a probabally a pretty big grain of truth to sk's announcement.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if whatever game they announce at e3 won't be a nintendo exclusive.  I'm really expecting to hear that they'll be doing ED2 for gcn with ports for xbox and ps2 6 months later.

-bmfrosty

Offline Zeks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 10:08:49 AM »
 Just wanted to add one more thing to this. If uve played ED then you know that triads are all throught the game. The spell system also revolves around 3 alignments. And the most one, the first lil puzzle in the game is??? Anyone remember? You have to set the clock to 3:33. Its also when alex is awoken, right at 3:33. Dont beleive me, start the game urself .

The game was also subtitled "The 13 Chosen souls" in Japan, 12 characters and the player makes 13 .  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 10:55:20 AM »
Seems like wishfull thinking. This isnt the movie buisness. Bad press IS Bad Press. When people read that SK left Nintendo their opinion on Nintendo sours. You wont be able to fix that. SK is gone folks.

Offline the_zombie_luke

• Baron of Game On
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 12:07:56 PM »
I want to know why NOA hasn't issued a press release. Let me guess, they're waiting to have an official announcement at E3, since this bad news will help them have a better show.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 12:42:29 PM »
yeah, it does concern me that Nintendo hasn't said anything.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 01:06:14 PM »
I don't want to believe this because I know if I start hoping my hopes are going to be crushed.

It's strange how Denis never said this wasn't an insanity effect though.

You'd think the company that made ED would be quick to add that if it was actually leaving Nintendo. I'm sure Dyack KNEW that card would be pulled out... so why didn't he deny it from the start and save people all the trouble?

PGC and IGN are also acting very weird about this. You'd think by now they'd have an interview with Denis about it, some more news, anything. I'm sure the questions didn't stop at, "Are you really not exclusive to Nintendo anymore?" in that phone conversation both sites said they had with Dyack for confirmation.

Can you people at PGC get a direct quote from Denis that this isn't an insanity effect? I don't want to think about this any more.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 01:56:32 PM »
Are the matching swords still hanging in the Silicon Knights and Nintendo's Japan offices?
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 02:16:14 PM »
Paladin, what good would a prank be if you told people what you were doing?

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 02:49:44 PM »
and also... NINTENDO.com didn't mension the situation... it cant be said thesame thing to RARE and LEFT FIELD when they end their exclusivety contract.  they updated their site right away.  so interesting eh???
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 03:01:09 PM »
"Paladin, what good would a prank be if you told people what you were doing?"

Yeah, my post was just a couple more reasons it could be a prank, I guess.

But if it isn't a prank, my post is just pointing out a couple weird things and asking for direct confirmation.

Don't try to corner me, I'm a natural adept at covering my ass.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2004, 03:23:24 PM »
um i dont think this is some marketing tactic, cuz don't you think this announcement affected these companies negatively (like stock and stuff)

i could be totally wrong, i'm just saying what i think

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2004, 03:50:25 PM »
Hmmm... if its a joke, then Mr.Dyack has some bad timing.  When Nintendo is losing exclusives, 3rd parties dropping them for the rest of the generation, I'd say its not the time to fool around.  

But it seems the theories are at a standstill. EatChildren has posted circumstantial evidence, but it can't be disproven either. Quite a few coincidences, but that doesn't quite add up...

E3 can't come soon enough....
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »
Bill says:
i disagree...i think it's perfect timing

peeack says:
it's the perfect time to fool around

Mario says:
nows the perfect time to fool around

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2004, 04:06:46 PM »
time is perfect, surrounding all the negative news about 3 parties leavin, then SK leaving.  They are preparing to steal the show at E3 if they drop bombs like SK leavin was just a prank and who knows what else they have in store.  I know alot of people say this could be wishful thinkin ( and it is a little far fetched) but what has been mentioned with the 333 and whatnot is too much to be coincedence.  There are alot of things that are not adding up.  Denis has also said he cant not get into details on the matter so you know something is up.  DAMN E3, the suspence just keeps building.