Author Topic: Metroid Prime 2 Preview  (Read 6930 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Metroid Prime 2 Preview
« on: April 14, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »
Game Informer Magazine provides a first glimpse into Metroid Prime 2's new features, including multiplayer

The latest issue of Game Informer Magazine contains the first published screens of Metroid Prime 2 for the Nintendo GameCube. While Nintendo did not provide Game Informer with any information, an analysis of the screens reveals some juicy details and spurs speculation.

First, Metroid Prime 2 will feature the four-player split-screen gameplay previously rumored. One screenshot displays four differently-colored Samuses (or Samus look-alikes) in what appears to be a death match mode. The multiplayer mode retains many of Metroid Prime's features, including multiple visors, missiles, and morph ball capabilities. A large number can be found in the inner corner of each player's screen, though its meaning is not apparent from the screenshot, which does include health meters.

Also of note are the changes in HUD design for Metroid Prime 2. Although the basic layout has remained the same, aspects have been altered to accommodate new information. Metroid Prime 2 still features a map in the upper-right corner of the screen and radar in the upper-left corner.  However, the map is not present in multiplayer, and the radar is still displayed when using the morph ball.  Retro Studios has also reinvented its missile gauge, replacing the single sliding bar with a 2x5 grid of boxes. Only the bottom two boxes are filled, suggesting either that each box holds about 20 missiles or that Metroid Prime may feature multiple types of missiles. The energy gauge has also been modified: the single-player screen sports six vertical bars, two of which are grayed out, almost certainly representing energy tanks. The amount of energy left in the current energy tank is displayed in a two-digit counter, as dictated by Metroid tradition. Retro has redone the visor and beam icons in color, though the interface remains the same.

The game features graphics enhanced with even more visual flair. In the same single-player screen, an enemy, likely a Space Pirate, features detailed textures and impressive modeling. Another screen, likely taken from a cut-scene, is centered on what looks like a giant three-headed worm. Yet another screen in the magazine shows Samus floating in mid-air, surrounded by a bubble reflecting her image. The bubble is contained within a metal ring, suggesting it is either some sort of teleportation or power-up device.

Finally, one screenshot introduces a new character wearing a grey suit strangely similar to Samus's own and shooting downward toward the camera. Have the pirates finally cracked the secret of Samus's power suit? It looks quite possible!

Official details on Metroid Prime 2 will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 press conference.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE: Metroid Prime 2 Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 06:19:18 PM »
Please note that we cannot allow reproductions of Game Informer's screens here.  Feel free to talk about them, but any links to screens will be deleted, and the poster will be violating the forum rules.
Nintendo World Report

Offline GaimeGuy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 06:35:27 PM »
Well, I've seen the screens.  It sure looks interesting, and, if done correctly,   it could turn out a major success, with the  aspects that  add a uniqueness to the   movement, such as morph balls and visors.   More mobility  in an FPS =  more  possibilities for   creative level designs and  unique experiences.  I just hope it turns out right.

And people  complain that Nintendo doesn't  give gamers what they want, usually.    You heard a bunch of    people  asking for multiplayer after MP:  Now you're going to get it.    

Ofcourse, now everyone'll be like, "OMG WTF THEY'RE RUINING TEH  STYLE OF METROID!!!111"  

Here's   some advice:   Wait and see.   Or, even better:  Wait and play.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 07:30:14 PM »
THERE CAN"T BE MORE THAN ONE FREAKING SAMUS... WHAT THE HELL!

There, ya happy?  

I have a feeling its gonna be hit or miss...  Its either gonna be a brand new killer app soley because of a great story and awesome multi player...or its gonna be another semi cult hit because of a great story and crappy multiplayer.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »
Yeah, whether or not the multiplayer will work depends on how much time Retro invests in the tweaking of the control mechanics for the alternate mode.  If there is auto lock-on in multiplayer, it will be pointless.
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 08:26:03 PM »
Eh, the HUD in Metroid Prime already had a map & radar.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 08:53:23 PM »
So it did, Professional 666.  My bad!  I just never used the darn thing, hehe.  I've fixed the preview.
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 10:17:44 PM »
I hope there will be no Zero-Mission style "stealth" sequences. Hell, I hope NOTHING of this game resemples the atrocity that is Zero Mission!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:34:11 PM »
eh...what?  I was actually hoping for something along those lines.  That was really intense, and a nice way to stir up the formula if you ask me.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Obiyo

• The revolution is coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 11:02:12 PM »
ugh.. guess I gotta go take my brother's GI mag away from him so I can see 'em....

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 04:29:06 AM »

SA-X, anyone?

I think it's the owner of the  Hand That Curiously Has A Weird Gem Thingy On The Back Like Samus's Left Hand That Burst Forth From The Phazon.  Then again, I haven't seen the screenshot so I don't know.  
"Get yer stinkin hand off me ya damn dirty floormaster!"

--Me in the Earth Temple

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 2 Preview
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 04:59:31 AM »
Looks like I need to pick up a copy of Game Informer.  I'm ambilvalent to the multiplayer - I hope it turns out well, but I won't mind if it doesn't.  What I do hope for is...no evil grey Samus clone!  If I may digress....

Top 5 Videogame clichees

5. Tom Clancy
4. Collect and breed monsters.
3. Collect and breed cards with pictures of monsters.
2. Fight your evil twin!

And the number one videogame clichee....
1. Save your Princess/girlfriend/aunt Netty.

I stole this bit from the guy who stole it from David Letterman, because I'm not allowed to stay up past 10:30.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 07:13:48 AM »
Nintendo "invented" those last two scenarios so it's all good...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 09:24:47 AM »

Yeah, whether or not the multiplayer will work depends on how much time Retro invests in the tweaking of the control mechanics for the alternate mode. If there is auto lock-on in multiplayer, it will be pointless.

I don't think so. The lock on could work, none of Samus' attacks are to fast to be dodged... On the other hand that might lead to people just locking on, running really close and firing as fast as they can... But then, nobody complains about the moronic run/jump in Quake/Unreal deathmatches
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline skatiN64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 11:01:13 AM »

There isn't!  

If you got the best ending on the last one you would have seen that the metroid prime, after being defeted, "took" Samus's suit. That's probably what the clones and the thing shooting at her are.

"vanilla coke is the n gage of sodas"

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 11:08:11 AM »
Has anyone actually read the magazine? And it is the April issue, isn't it? I think it might be fake, for these reasons...

I've concluded that the Multiplayer shot is more than possibly fake. After analyzing it enough...

Unless there are more than four players in the game there, it must be fake.

The shot shows two staring at each other on the right and two that are in ball mode on the left. Where is the guy that is in the upper left shot at? What is he looking at? If there's only one in the ball mode, where is the bottom left's gun at? And why are all the radar locations basically the same? The one in the bottom right's location for the other guys would be a bit lower...

It could be true...but that shot looks very suspicously fake...

Blah.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 11:18:11 AM »

eh...what? I was actually hoping for something along those lines. That was really intense, and a nice way to stir up the formula if you ask me.

Yeah, for one game, just like how the watergun was good for just Super Mario Sunshine- if they put it in the next game, I'll be pissed.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
Well, if it is fake then a lot of people will be dissapointed. But I just don't know how a multiplayer'll work unless they bring back the SA-X and have this gray Samus but thats still only 3 characters but a 2-player wouldn't be half bad.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 04:23:14 PM »
Bah, they don't need to explain having more than one Samus- it worked fine in Four Swords.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 05:37:25 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

eh...what? I was actually hoping for something along those lines. That was really intense, and a nice way to stir up the formula if you ask me.

Yeah, for one game, just like how the watergun was good for just Super Mario Sunshine- if they put it in the next game, I'll be pissed.

Well maybe not necessarily stealth, but I think it would be cool to play outside of the suit in one form or another.  There's just a real sense of danger it brings, and in a Prime game, it could also mean not having an HUD either.

Still, I know what you mean, I don't want it to become some kind of series staple or anything.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2004, 08:01:18 AM »
I'd say the number 6 videogame cliche must be "defeat the boss only to have him show you his TRUE form".

I'm iffy about adding multiplayer but it should be fine if they follow these two rules:

1. The single player game mechanics are not altered to make the multiplayer work better.  I don't want Metroid turned into a generic FPS just to please a few losers who have never played Super Metroid and wrote off the first Metroid Prime because it wasn't a Halo clone.

2. If they can't get the multiplayer to be any good they should remove it.  There's no point hurting a classic one player game by adding a flawed multiplayer to it.  All it would result in is lower review scores, complaints from people who bought the game expecting the next Goldeneye, and Xbox and PS2 fans flaming boards with "Metroid Prime 2 sucks".

I'm actually surprised that they're even adding a multiplayer mode.  Most of the people who complained that it didn't have it were FPS fans who couldn't wrap their heads around the concept of a game viewed from the first person that had projectile weapons that wasn't an FPS.  Metroid fans seemed to be quite pleased with Metroid Prime so if I was in charge I wouldn't waste my time appealing to FPS fans who don't know what they're talking about.  Still it's good to see Nintendo acknowledging complaints and suggestions from the userbase even if in this case I don't agree with them.  They seem to have listened regarding Pikmin as well.  It's a good direction to go in for a company often accused of ignoring their fans.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2004, 09:05:50 AM »
Hm, yeah, people would complain about bad multiplayer, but at least Nintendo has no real online plans so it won't get points substracted for not being online (okay, that wouldn't make sense, but nonetheless...). Perhaps they should make multiplayer something that isn't just a plain deathmatch, but something that is more in line wih the singleplayer mechanisms (like Ubi did with Splinter Cell 2). Not that I have any idea how to pull that off, though. But it would probably involve players playing as Space Pirates. Maybe something like Samus and friends (why not?) need to infiltrate the SP base, steal certain objects to gain access to required paths (e.g. they don't have a morph ball) and need to  get to the core of the complex and defeat the boss there. Either like UT Assault (both sides respawn freely, after a round sides get swapped, the team that completes the mission in less time scores a point) or like SC: PT (from what I understand, attackers don't respawn and the defenders are weaker than the attackers, but respawn). Basically SP or Coop with other players playing the enemies.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004, 09:40:05 AM »
I personally wouldn't care if Retro just had morphball racing as the only multiplayer mode...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:58 AM »
"at least Nintendo has no real online plans so it won't get points substracted for not being online"

Sure they will.  They'll also lose points for not having custom skins.

There's a thread about this on the Penny-Arcade forum and they've come up with some really cool ideas.  The potential for a good MP is there provided they give it some thought.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2004, 09:43:43 PM »
Ian: No. On online-enavbled consoles, you can give a point penalty for lacking online support, because people expect games to be playable online. What person right in their mind would expect GC games to be online? That might become a factor with multiplatform releases, where you can get the same game with online on another system, but exclusives don't give you that opportunity. Seriously, I haven't seen a single review complaining that e.g. Wario Ware GC isn't online enabled.