Author Topic: Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!  (Read 13616 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2004, 05:55:20 PM »

Originally posted by: OG_OriginalGamer
According to Eggebrecht, the only reason Factor 5 has stopped making GameCube games was that they've abandoned current-generation hardware altogether. "It is simply because we have moved into next-generation development," he said.

Most excellent, glade you got that quote for others to see... hope Planetgamecube makes sure to mention it when they run the story. Its a little more easier to stomach that Factor 5 has moved onto a next generation console from the Gamecube, as opposed to the Xbox or PS2.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »

If you find me anything that states that Factor 5 is not developing for GCNext, has dropped work on Pilotwings or was developing anything on GC in the first place before this announcement, then I'll believe your paranoid ramblings.

I'm pretty sure Pilotwings has not been announced.  I believe the rumor started because IGN said it.  I don't know where Factor 5 or Nintendo have ever mentioned it.  If you provide me with the link, Paladin, i'll leave it be, and be quite happy.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2004, 06:30:22 PM »
Well Omen, here you go, you can read about IGN's conformation right here, oh and I'm not 100% on this but I think Factor5 has help all three platforms with divX and other hardware helpers, although they did help Nintendo more, because they helped Nintendo with their sound stuff.

On another note, I didnt think that thr "Rogue Trilogy" was ever coming to Xbox because they would have to recode everything for the Xbox, because the Xbox can't do what Rogue did with the Gamecube.

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2004, 06:58:23 PM »
although that im very upset by the news reporting this days, there is still hope that NINTENDO can still pick some of their games.  both FACTOR 5 and SILICON KNIGHT are stating that they are not abandoning NINTENDO altogether.  maybe NINTENDO are trying a publisher and developer relationship here.  they dont have to own a studio to get exlusive game from them, just to fund the game that they are publishing... kinda like what they are trying to do with N SPACE, KUJU and ZOONAMI.  i guess the era of 2nd party are dead after seeing LEFT FIELD STUDIO and RARE being sold by NINTENDO.

since SILICON KNIGHT is my fav studio, i guess its time for me to buy more than one console then... arggghh, this suck.
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Zeks

• View Profile
RE: Factor 5 Drops Nintendo!
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »
Just another slash for the blind-crying NFanboys.  He says announcement/suprise.  Its most likely Pilotwings 3 info for N5.  I dont see any reason for them to go and develop for other companies simply cause theyre doin nextgen stuff and have been rumored for a long time to be doing PW3.  Sure theres the possibility they could dev. for Sony and/or MS but I dont think thats likely at all.  I wouldnt be suprised if they have a hand in N5 hardware which they would only rake in more money from HW sales much like they do with GC.  Not to mention Im sure Ninty has been giving them a lil something $ on the side.  Besides wether or not IGN 'confirmed' doesnt mean the other 95% of gamers know anything.  Most ppl think its a rumor, most ppl dont read online, most ppl dont know.  So if he does announce it give info then Magazines will quote/paraphrase him and post it as fact etc.  

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2004, 07:31:08 PM »
Ok I understand how some people don't trust IGN but one thing they do very well is get inside info directly from publishers and developers. Matt C. is very well connected in the game industry. If he says he has been able to get confirmation from Nintendo then ill believe it.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2004, 08:54:02 PM »

Originally posted by: ecliptic
Did you scoff at the rumor of Factor 5 bringing the Rogue Squadron trilogy to the Xbox?

Would that really be the end of the world? Ports of old GC and N64 games showing up on the Xbox doesn't concern me at all...

For that matter, I think RS3 showed just how short on ideas Factor 5 is getting... half the time I had to remind myself I was even playing a different game from RS2.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2004, 10:02:59 PM »
Lucas Arts NEVER dropped Cube support, they explicitely stated that when asked about it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2004, 03:19:34 AM »
Really? I thought I read somewhere that they had dropped Cube support. My mistake.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2004, 04:23:50 AM »
That was someone's assumption based on the lack of GC titles in their upcoming titles list. Someone else asked Lucas Arts about that, LA said they never abandoned the Cube. However, anti-Nintendo rumors seem to spread faster than the truth.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2004, 07:33:21 AM »
ha, well it all turned out onthe fator 5 bit how i figured...factor 5 is a technology driven company..all of thier games are graphical masterpieces...hense their more concerned about getting power out systems then actually making the games...rogue squadran 3 is on my backburner list.....i may get it in the future...multiplayer adds way more fun. Now factor 5 is deving for the next systems. Im hoping that they create some sort of middleware for developers so they can get loads of power out of the system without having to worry about that themselves and work on the gameplay. Also, i find it funny that whenever there is bad news the boards are invaded by trolls..and also the pessimist reval in glory for some reason.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2004, 10:12:09 AM »
And tomarrow, we will all wake up.

Offline John Cena

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2004, 10:52:35 AM »
Hey Factor 5 annouced that they wont be any games from them for this Gen systems i read it this morning so that Means No rebel X for the Xbox

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2004, 11:18:19 AM »
I couldn't care much less about this.  All this means is that they won't be making any more games for the GameCube.  That just means that they can concentrate even more on doing stuff for Nintendo's, Microsoft's, and Sony's next consoles.

Offline Retroyoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2004, 11:22:57 AM »
If it's anything like last generation they are busy helping write sound tools right now for the NDS or the N5.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2004, 11:23:52 AM »

Originally posted by: SearanoX
I couldn't care much less about this.  All this means is that they won't be making any more games for the GameCube.  That just means that they can concentrate even more on doing stuff for Nintendo's, Microsoft's, and Sony's next consoles.

Which makes a lot of sense because you could see how little improvement they were able to make between RS2 and RS3 (despite having years of time between them).

F5 seems to need new technology to make any real advancements to their software, they either need to come up with some more creative game design people to complement all those tech wizzes, or they need to just release one game per console and release it at launch.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2004, 11:36:01 AM »

Which makes a lot of sense because you could see how little improvement they were able to make between RS2 and RS3 (despite having years of time between them).

Eh, maybe you didn't SEE a big difference, but Rebel Strike improved on Rogue Leader quite a bit. It had a more stable framerate, pushed almost twice as many polygons per second, used a wider array of textures, and even included some effects that Factor 5 didn't think were possible this generation, like the atmospheric light filtering. Not only all that, but Factor 5 vastly improved the water- whereas it was a facade created in literally a week for RL, it had actual motion and physics and volume in RS.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2004, 12:19:48 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

It had a more stable framerate.

I do not agree with that.  Space-flight missions were more fluid, yes, but the terrestrial flight missions were unstable.  And sadly, the Luke/"bike" missions only ran at 30fps, half the framerate the rest of the game tried to be at.  Factor 5 was trying to push more polygons than they should have, which to me is "bad" engineering in the way that they were going *over* their resource budget.  I believe they didn't maximize the 3D engine within proper limits, and instead pushed on with "MORE MORE MORE!".

:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2004, 01:41:34 PM »
Why is this topic still open, or atleast edited?  Having a wrong title is about as much as this thread has proved it can: a bunch of stupid complaints based on something that was misread.  Lets just get it over with now, ok?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2004, 01:44:50 PM »
I had far more stabibility problems with RL than RS. And even if the speederbike mission ran at 30 fps, it was well nigh locked at that framerate- hence my use of the term "stable". Also, Factor 5 didn't just punch out more polygons, they used more effects, too- I said all that in my first post. The fact that they not only got the game to pushy more polys but more effects as well is a testament to the leap it took over Rogue Squadron. In any case, Rebel Strike is the most graphically advanced console game to date and Rogue Squadron is the second most graphically advanced console game to date, so I don't think you really have too much to complain about in either of them.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »
Yeah and from what I've heard the next game after Rogue Squadron would be Ralisport challenge or some racing game on Xbox I'm not to sure about the name. but I do know that the game was able to churn out as many polygons as Rogue Leader but at only half the framerate.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2004, 02:06:48 PM »
Rallisport Challenge matches Rogue Leader's number of polygons and framerate, but it uses half the number of textures per pass because the XBox can only do 4 as opposed to the Gamecube's 8. But this isn't a thread about console power, so let's get back on topic.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2004, 03:51:55 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

Eh, maybe you didn't SEE a big difference, but Rebel Strike improved on Rogue Leader quite a bit. It had a more stable framerate, pushed almost twice as many polygons per second, used a wider array of textures, and even included some effects that Factor 5 didn't think were possible this generation, like the atmospheric light filtering. Not only all that, but Factor 5 vastly improved the water- whereas it was a facade created in literally a week for RL, it had actual motion and physics and volume in RS.

Maybe it would've sold better if they'd worked on improvements you could see as opposed to trying to impress people with numbers.

Push all the polygons you want, I'm just saying you put RS and RL next to each other on two identical TVs with the first level running, I couldn't tell the difference.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »
This cannot be happening. This is all one big insanity effect. I'm going to see a bright flash and realize that I'm in my bed with Too Human coming to the N5. This bad nooz is 2 much 2 handl.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz[/iEh, maybe you didn't SEE a big difference, but Rebel Strike improved on Rogue Leader quite a bit. It had a more stable framerate, pushed almost twice as many polygons per second, used a wider array of textures, and even included some effects that Factor 5 didn't think were possible this generation, like the atmospheric light filtering. Not only all that, but Factor 5 vastly improved the water- whereas it was a facade created in literally a week for RL, it had actual motion and physics and volume in RS.

Maybe it would've sold better if they'd worked on improvements you could see as opposed to trying to impress people with numbers.

Push all the polygons you want, I'm just saying you put RS and RL next to each other on two identical TVs with the first level running, I couldn't tell the difference.

HAHAHAHA, oh man thats funny. Now let me ask you something, have you even played Rebel Strike? I'm just gonna assume no because of your comments. The graphics on RS are quite noticeable, especially the atmospheric lighting. Now you go and play the two games on identical TVs and youll see what I'm saying. and you don't notice a difference after that then you my friend are partially blind and should have your eyes checked.